autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

No sheeting, but lots of beading?

I just washed my minivan today. It was waxed 4 weekends ago, and both for the initial rinse, as well as rinsing the soap off, there was a ton of beading. Up until now, I would have said it looked like a freshly waxed car.

But lately, I’ve been seeing videos on Youtube of guys comparing different waxes by putting running water on the paint, and seeing how fast the water sheets off. I tried that today, and I was very disappointed in how slow the sheeting was. Except for the hood, every place I put running water was like the control panel on a car in those videos, or the side that only got waxed 6 months ago.

This is making me think—I have read that the chemicals that induce beading are not the same in a wax, as those that provide a protective layer to the paint. So it is possible that one month has worn away much of the protective layer of the wax itself, but the chemicals that make water bead up, are still there? I would have thought with all the beading, that the water would have sheeting off very fast, but I did this before and after applying the soap, and both times when I saw the sheeting I was disappointed, compared to how fast water sheets off with a freshly waxed car.

The reason why I was surprised, was that there was as much if not more beading on my paint, than on the cars in the videos, but there was much slower sheeting.

I used a carnuba wax, and if one month is all I can get for my time, I’m definitely going to look for a synthetic wax for next weekend’s wax job.

So it is possible for there to be lots of beading but very little sheeting, and no wax protective layer? Or is there some other explanation?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: No sheeting, but lots of beading?

FWIW, I just found the wax that I use on youtube, and in fact guys are showing videos with it sheeting like crazy, so it is definitely a wax that sheets.

Post Thanks / Like

You might as well tell us what the wax is instead of just teasing/beating around the bush. Lol

Sent from my iPhone

Post Thanks / Like

Its defenders would come on here and insist I did something wrong if it is only lasting a month.

Maybe I did apply it wrong, although I don't think so. But my question stands, regardless of the brand--I'd like to know if there is a protective layer on my paint.

EDIT: Tell you what, when I get my question answered, I'll spill the beans.

Post Thanks / Like

Lets boycott the advice until he spills the beans! LmaoNo sheeting, but lots of beading? J/kNo sheeting, but lots of beading?

Sent from my iPhone

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

How did you apply the water. If you mist water or spray it with a nozzle it will bead I believe because there's not a lot of water behind it pushing it off. If you let the water hit the paint out of the hose no nozzle it will sheet more I believe. Just my guess.

example wit the hose freely flowing.

https://instagram.com/p/BPEN6EFD1v6/

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Supra9497 View Post
    How did you apply the water. If you mist water or spray it with a nozzle it will bead I believe because there's not a lot of water behind it pushing it off. If you let the water hit the paint out of the hose no nozzle it will sheet more I believe. Just my guess.
    Looks like Supra didn't read Eldorado's slick plan.

Seriously, I put it on a "flood" setting, which poured out lots and lots of water. It wasn't as if it were running out of the hose, but it came out in a wide running stream. It was not a mister type of setting---I made sure to use a setting that had a lot of water pouring out of it. If I didn't see one, I would have taken off the nozzle, but decided that I didn't have to, b/c I was getting plenty of water with the setting that I chose.

Post Thanks / Like

Since you're not telling us what wax it is, I'm going to take a guess. PM if I am right please. Colonite 845 or something from that product line.
    2005 Nissan 350z (Polish Angel Viking-Coat)/2020 AMG GLC43 (Polish Angel Viking-Coat and Auto Gliss 2.0)/2012 Honda Odyssey TE (Jescar Power Lock)/2020 AMG C43 (CQuartz UK3.0 and Auto Gliss 2.0)

Super Member CarolinasFinestDetailing's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, what soap or chemical are you using to wash your car?

Are you using or have you used any type of QD/spray wax/drying aid since wax application?
    Carolina`s Finest Detailing - Charlotte areas preferred CQuartz Finest Reserve & GTECHNIQ Crystal Serum Ultra coating center. STEK/Suntek PPF
    www.Carolinasfinestdetailing.me

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CarolinasFinestDetailing View Post
    Well, what soap or chemical are you using to wash your car?

Are you using or have you used any type of QD/spray wax/drying aid since wax application?
    I have washed it twice in the 4 weeks (its been raining a lot, in between washes). Both times with Meguiars Deep Crystal soap.

I have used no spray wax or other detailing products on the paint.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast