autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: No sheeting, but lots of beading?

Quote Originally Posted by prr View Post
    No snow, although there has been a lot of rain lately (a few weekends, 2 or 3, I didn't wash the car b/c of so much rain). But no snow or road salt.

As far as prep, none at all. I may have clayed those surfaces once, years ago, but maybe not. Anyways, my prep is to wash the car before applying the wax. That's pretty much it. It was the 845.

No coin op washes. This last round it was all either rain water (ha ha) or Meguiars Deep Crystal soap.

Been a heavy user and fan of 845. Recently switched to Sonax PNS. In my experience I once applied 845 and other waxes to a car that was kept outside and didn't do any extra prep aside from a wash. None of the waxes seemed to last or show beading after 3 or so weeks. On a properly prepped (wash, clay and polished) car I've seen upto 12 months on a garaged car and touchless washes.

I think they don't bond well if the car isn't prepped. You will also see people have varying success with different waxes here. For some Collonite has not been durable and they love FK1000.

I didn't look for sheeting but the 845 seemed to bead very well. Currently the Sonax PNS seems to be a lot more hydrophobic. But I think if you are seeing beading it might be ok. You can try a test panel, clay, polish and relax one part and just wax another one. Then see if there is a difference.

Post Thanks / Like

FK1000 that you mentioned (here: Finish Kare 1000P Hi-Temp Paste Wax, high melt polymer car wax, Finish care auto wax) I see it only in the AG store as a paste wax. Oh does that bring up bad memories!

It doesn't cost that much more than Megs GC or ultimate wax. I know you said "they" love--but have you tried it? I assume your point was that I could reasonably expect FK1000 to last longer than Collinite. Also, does it come in a liquid?

I'm almost out of wax, and would like to get a new bottle/brand in the next few weeks, which is why I'm asking.

Post Thanks / Like

Just saw today's special 25% off, with no shipping, no minimum. That is too good to pass up.

Post Thanks / Like

My thoughts..

Beading = Hydrophobic properties - sufficient gravity to roll
    Sheeting = Hydrophobic properties + sufficient gravity to roll

In other words the same thing Bob said haha.

Without knowing where you are from, the weather, driving and parking conditions of the vehicle, for about 90% of Carnauba Wax's I've tried, 4 weeks is about the extent of it's hydrophobic properties. A long sentence to say I just think it's worn out

At the risk of being criticized by the gloss boss's on here, IMO modern synthetics provide equal gloss as 98% of the Carnauba's out there but add better protection and longevity.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by prr View Post

I used a carnuba wax, and if one month is all I can get for my time, I’m definitely going to look for a synthetic wax for next weekend’s wax job.

So it is possible for there to be lots of beading but very little sheeting, and no wax protective layer? Or is there some other explanation?

Sheeting is supposed to be a lack of surface tension so water will sheet off instead of bead up.

Water beading is actually a bad thing as it can lead to water spots and any detailer that's been around for a while knows from experience that Type II Water Spots can be the most difficult paint defect to remove.

If you want to maximize water beading to make drying a car faster then take a look at the McKee's 37 Paint Coating. Probably and likely the easiest paint coating to use and the best bang for your detailing dollars.

I don't know off hand of any company that purposefully formulates their products to sheet instead of bead. I worked at Meguiar's when the corporate decision was made to no longer make waxes that sheet because the "masses" confuse this with a lack of protection and a lack of longevity and what Meguiar's found out is that it's too hard to educate people. Especially when the masses LOVE to see water beading.

I use PBL Surface Coating on the paint, glass and plastic of our Mercedes-Benz and after switching to it I wrote this article.... the point of the article is the speed in which I can wash and dry the car due to the hydrophobic characteristics.

Wash and dry a car in less than 30 minutes!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123