autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

2016 VW GTI tornado red

I seriously don't have time to search through a bizillion threads to find what I need. Will you please help?

I have a new car, mentioned in the title, with dealer/delivery swirls that I would like to get rid of. I am an amateur detailer, just doing my own vehicles and an occasional friend's vehicle. I don't have enough confidence to venture out much further than that. I have a Flex XC3401.

I would like to purchase product and pads to use to get the job done. I have Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover and Lake & Country beveled edge pads and CCS pads of various densities. Will these work without having to purchase new?

I get so frustrated trying to get the results I want and falling short. It's tough when I don't have time to mess with my toys and learn.

Thanks!
    ** Clean cars go faster!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2016 VW GTI tornado red

Its going to be next to impossible for anyone to say categorically that polish x run on pad y with machine speed z is going to solve your problem...there are just too many variables at play, not least of which is how deep the below surface defects on YOUR specific paint run...

The best advice I can give you is to perform a test spot with your least aggressive combo and see if it removes sufficient defects - if so, you can stop correcting the paint and move on to the protection step. If there are still below surface defects you want to remove, perform another test spot (not on top of the previous one) with a slightly more aggressive combo.

Keep stepping up the aggressiveness until you are removing enough of the defects (to your satisfaction). The more aggressive your initial step is, the more likely you will need to then follow the first cut up with a 2nd round of polishing, using a very gently combo [essentially to remove any hazing from the first step) to restore clarity to the paint.

I've corrected a lot of VW paint and its generally on the harder side so will require a fairly aggressive combo if there are significant swirls.

Its a massive generalization to say this but mostly my combos are...

Very fine swirls - Menzerna SF4000/white or black pad
    Medium swirls - Menzerna PF2300 / white or orange pad
    A lot of swirls - Menzerna FG400 / orange or foamed wool pad
    Very bad swirls - Menzerna SHC300 / foamed wool pad

Hope this helps

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats on the new/newer car. The challenge here sounds like it's going to be to have patience and find the time. Time is easier as you can always just do the car in stages. No need to feel you have to tackle the whole thing at once. I take it you have a heated garage or area to work in?

VW/Audi have very hard clears to cut through and without seeing your car or pics of how the swirls are, it's difficult to say exactly what to do except begin with the least aggressive pad/product combo. That said I will say it won't do any harm to hit it with more aggressive products and just go lighter on the cut. Things should go quite well and fast given you have a great machine in the 3401. I just corrected a fellow S4 owners car and found it was quite easy with the right stuff.

WG TS Remover is good stuff from what I hear. I would combine that with an orange pad and a good 4-6 passes and see what results. From there I'd polish it up with a high quality polish of which there are many to choose. Menzerna, HD, Meg's, Sonnex, Car Pro, etc. What do you have in the way of polishes? How about Last Step Products (LSP's)? Are you looking to wax, seal or coat the vehicle? Personally, given your entry into the hobby, I'd suggest Wolf Gang's coating or McKee's 37 or even Pinnacle's coatings. All are super easy to use and excellent products. I did my Audi with Essence as the base and McKee's coating. I did the same microfiber compound and essence polish on the S4 I just corrected and what I use a lot overall.

Hope the above helps.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lawrenceSA View Post
    Its going to be next to impossible for anyone to say categorically that polish x run on pad y with machine speed z is going to solve your problem...there are just too many variables at play, not least of which is how deep the below surface defects on YOUR specific paint run...

The best advice I can give you is to perform a test spot with your least aggressive combo and see if it removes sufficient defects - if so, you can stop correcting the paint and move on to the protection step. If there are still below surface defects you want to remove, perform another test spot (not on top of the previous one) with a slightly more aggressive combo.

Keep stepping up the aggressiveness until you are removing enough of the defects (to your satisfaction). The more aggressive your initial step is, the more likely you will need to then follow the first cut up with a 2nd round of polishing, using a very gently combo [essentially to remove any hazing from the first step) to restore clarity to the paint.

I've corrected a lot of VW paint and its generally on the harder side so will require a fairly aggressive combo if there are significant swirls.

Its a massive generalization to say this but mostly my combos are...

Very fine swirls - Menzerna SF4000/white or black pad
    Medium swirls - Menzerna PF2300 / white or orange pad
    A lot of swirls - Menzerna FG400 / orange or foamed wool pad
    Very bad swirls - Menzerna SHC300 / foamed wool pad

Hope this helps
    Great advice and matches my experience. My GTI is black, but I go a similar path as Lawrence describes here.

I've never let my car get really swirled out, and the dealership damage wasn't that bad when I took delivery three years ago. Instead of using Menzerna, I'm using the Blackfire SRC "duo". SRC Polish is very similar in cut/performance to 4000 (or is it 3500 these days?) and SRC Compound, which is a very mild compound, is probably only a little more aggressive than 2300.

In addition to the combinations Lawrence mentions, Dave at Lake Country has also recommended the Blackfire SRC polish on a orange flat pad. I found using the polish on an orange pad to perform almost the same as the more aggressive compound/swirl remover on a white pad. Both finished out the same, but I found the more aggressive combination did the work with fewer passes.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Your last paragraph gives me pause. Time and patience are required in this game. In your case, there's no big rush it sounds like. Its your car, not a customer's.

Start with a section on your trunk lid and proceed carefully and conservatively.

Check the Autogeek polish comparison chart and start with something in the 2 range. Try a white pad first. If you dont get the results you want, add a little pressure. If you still dont get it, add a couple more passes. If not good enough, move to orange pad. Then maybe step up your polish to 4-5 range if still not good enough. Keep track of your pad, pressure, polish with notes or pictures. Once you find the right combination, you're rolling!

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app
    Kirk Harrod's Mobile Detailing, Frankfort, KY
    Official Detailer of Camarofest 8 & 9
    No one has detailed more Camaros.

Post Thanks / Like

To the OP, everyone who has chimed in has given excellent advice and feedback based on your post. Do a couple test spots to figure out what gives you the best results with the products/tools you already have and then use those results to complete the vehicle a section at a time starting from top to bottom. If you need some immediate help/advice along the way don't hesitate to reach out, I am fairly close to your area.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pdqgp View Post
    Congrats on the new/newer car. The challenge here sounds like it's going to be to have patience and find the time. Time is easier as you can always just do the car in stages. No need to feel you have to tackle the whole thing at once. I take it you have a heated garage or area to work in?

VW/Audi have very hard clears to cut through and without seeing your car or pics of how the swirls are, it's difficult to say exactly what to do except begin with the least aggressive pad/product combo. That said I will say it won't do any harm to hit it with more aggressive products and just go lighter on the cut. Things should go quite well and fast given you have a great machine in the 3401. I just corrected a fellow S4 owners car and found it was quite easy with the right stuff.

WG TS Remover is good stuff from what I hear. I would combine that with an orange pad and a good 4-6 passes and see what results. From there I'd polish it up with a high quality polish of which there are many to choose. Menzerna, HD, Meg's, Sonnex, Car Pro, etc. What do you have in the way of polishes? How about Last Step Products (LSP's)? Are you looking to wax, seal or coat the vehicle? Personally, given your entry into the hobby, I'd suggest Wolf Gang's coating or McKee's 37 or even Pinnacle's coatings. All are super easy to use and excellent products. I did my Audi with Essence as the base and McKee's coating. I did the same microfiber compound and essence polish on the S4 I just corrected and what I use a lot overall.

Hope the above helps.
    I have Klasse sealer I was going to use to get through the winter. Thoughts?
    ** Clean cars go faster!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JKDesign View Post
    To the OP, everyone who has chimed in has given excellent advice and feedback based on your post. Do a couple test spots to figure out what gives you the best results with the products/tools you already have and then use those results to complete the vehicle a section at a time starting from top to bottom. If you need some immediate help/advice along the way don't hesitate to reach out, I am fairly close to your area.
    Portland! Great. I'm down there tomorrow getting the windows tinted at Sun Stoppers.
    ** Clean cars go faster!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pjstockford View Post
    I have Klasse sealer I was going to use to get through the winter. Thoughts?
    Is it the Klasse AIO or the Klasse Sealant Glaze? The AIO may not last very long. I've honestly only used AIO as surface prep for the SG. SG on the other hand should easily last 5~6 months depending on how well it was applied and your climate.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

This is over the entire car. I think I've got my work cut out for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ** Clean cars go faster!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast