autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Unkown speckles on black paint

Quote Originally Posted by vertico View Post
    Awesome, great ideas Unkown speckles on black paint

So in order i'm going to try:
    IronX
    Nanoskin fine-medium towel
    Nanoskin fine DA pad

Are mineral spirits safe for the paint? Sounds too harsh no?

I've got everything on order. After xmas is over i'm going to go to town on it.
    I'll post up my results when done!

While i'm at it i'll try to get a before pic of the swirls that are there. This paint is amazingly deceiving for black paint, under most light it looks super glossy but when the sun hits it JUST right it's swirl city. Previous owner clearly ran it through automatic washers.

OT but on a side note the interior is in great condition as well except the center console is made of gloss piano black plastic that shows a ton of swirls. I picked up a 3" backplate for a drill that i'm going to try to use to polish it back to normal. It's crazy how badly scratched it is! I can see finger nail marks from people adjusting the volume on the radio

Once i get these two things fixed up the car will be in near perfect condition!
    It's a weekend warrior only so it will live in my garage 99% of the time
    clearcoats can tolerate mineral spirits lacquer thinner and xylene.If that was my car I would get some lacquer thinner and one swipe it should come off.But that's me try the mineral spirits as suggested.

Post Thanks / Like

I would get that off now.waiting after Christmas you may get the heads off of whatever is on there but may struggle with the residual staining of each little dot.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vertico View Post
    Awesome, great ideas Unkown speckles on black paint

So in order i'm going to try:
    IronX
    Nanoskin fine-medium towel
    Nanoskin fine DA pad

Are mineral spirits safe for the paint? Sounds too harsh no?

I've got everything on order. After xmas is over i'm going to go to town on it.
    I'll post up my results when done!

While i'm at it i'll try to get a before pic of the swirls that are there. This paint is amazingly deceiving for black paint, under most light it looks super glossy but when the sun hits it JUST right it's swirl city. Previous owner clearly ran it through automatic washers.

OT but on a side note the interior is in great condition as well except the center console is made of gloss piano black plastic that shows a ton of swirls. I picked up a 3" backplate for a drill that i'm going to try to use to polish it back to normal. It's crazy how badly scratched it is! I can see finger nail marks from people adjusting the volume on the radio

Once i get these two things fixed up the car will be in near perfect condition!
    It's a weekend warrior only so it will live in my garage 99% of the time
    i would do by hand first 3 inch maybe to big.mags plastic polish or followed by some carpro essence maybe favorable.Essence you should buy anyway along with the carpro gloss pad for that paint.

Post Thanks / Like

I meant meguairs plastic polish not mags.

Post Thanks / Like

I have removed similar spots upon return from body shop where I had a panel sprayed.

It was clear coat over spray, so you only see it from certain angles and lighting.

I did the baggy test to confirm, and yes there was more than I thought.

Took the Speedy Prep Towel to her and it was removing much of it, but slowly.

Tried the Real Mineral Spirits and Plastic Razor Blade (I too could get it off with fingernail, but razor better) and worked much better.

Speedy Prep Towel and Clay Lube over affected panels, baggy test and then Polished (no compounding).

Worked for me.
    Crispy 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix DD, always clean (except today) Hobby Detailer

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123