autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Dark spot defect on hood

After doing a compound and polish on my car hood, I ended up with one defect that concerns me. I have read the Showcar book and gone through a lot of forum posts to try to find something like this and cannot. I am not sure that it fits into the RIDS category. Anyway, I had this area of what I thought was tree sap that simply would not come off and it had been on the car for too long, like more than a few months. The car is a metallic blue 2002 BMW and is my personal every other day driver. I had not maintained the exterior properly out of sheer ignorance (an issue fixed since I came across this site). Anyway, I didn't expect perfect results with the correction but most of it came out looking really nice. The mar itself feels perfectly smooth but I think it might go lower than the clear coat. Or could it be that this is still a defect in or on top of the clear coat that could perhaps be wet sanded as if it were a RIDS. I can live with a few small scratches but would like to fix this if possible.Dark spot defect on hood-img_0858-jpgDark spot defect on hood-img_0857-jpg

In person, the dark spot looks lower than the surrounding areas, as if each new color in the photo is slightly deeper as it gets to the dark area. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dark spot defect on hood

that doesn't look good, are you sure you it's not through the clear/paint. hard to tell from the small pics...

Post Thanks / Like

That looks like exposed basecoat and primer or substrate--is that a plastic part?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    That looks like exposed basecoat and primer or substrate--is that a plastic part?
    No, this is in on the hood...sadly. I am trying to get some larger pictures uploaded but the original keeps getting resized.

Post Thanks / Like

Sap could of soaked thru or looks like a bad burn mark.

Post Thanks / Like

Time to add touch up painting and wet sanding to your resume.
    Sure looks like a chip.

Post Thanks / Like

Just to get some clarification from other posters:

Does the area around the really dark spot look like clearcoat failure from water getting under the clearcoat by way of the dark area? And if so, is this a common trait of 'good' clearcoat or does that just happen when the clearcoat starts to go bad?

Post Thanks / Like

From enlarging the picture posted it does appear that it is the base showing. If you have a magnifying glass of some type laying around you could look at it better. Appears to be a candidate for Dr. Colorchip just looking at the picture.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I am going to order the Dr. Colorchip and give it a try. I will post follow up threads as the repair progresses. I have other small amounts of road rash that could use a touch up anyway. Thanks to all who looked and posted.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ducksfan View Post
    Does the area around the really dark spot look like clearcoat failure from water getting under the clearcoat by way of the dark area? And if so, is this a common trait of 'good' clearcoat or does that just happen when the clearcoat starts to go bad?
    As others have said, this looks like it might be a rock chip, although it is unusually smoothed out for that.

OP--is that smooth appearance from your polishing of the area? Are you the original owner of the car? Is it possible someone else sanded/polished this area?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast