autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Got DA. Now what?

I just bought a DA after 2 years of trying to decide. It should be arriving in a day or two.

Now, Please check the photos I attached. My Car has some scratches here and there. But mainly paint is oxidized. Plus a portion was repainted. Which seems to be very soft as compared to the Factory Paint. After years of washing, car has acquired a lot of swirls and marring. I have UC at the moment in hand. Need suggestion on the pad. Can get LC pads locally.

Also, someone suggested me to use CarPro essence after compounding as I Will be applying CQuartz later on.

Please suggest me about the pads and how many should I get it to complete the SUV.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Got DA. Now what?

Your pictures didn't attach, but I'll tell you what CCS pads I have for my porter cable:

6 orange
    6 white
    2 black
    2 red

I have a full size truck and an suv. Lots of space to cover. When I was buying, I lost count of how many times everyone here preached that changing pads was a huge help. It is. After a panel, I spray it with some McKee's pad cleaner and take a brush to it. After the second panel, I toss it in a bucket with pad cleaner until I am finished.

I haven't used the red pads, they came with the kit. However, the orange and white have been used with AIO a couple times, and I used the black pads to apply sealant to my truck this fall. I'll never apply it by hand again!

If you have a lot of work to do, the orange with a compound of your choice should do the trick. In my experience, the white didn't have enough cut but has been good for subsequent applications. As always, do a test spot because your results may be different. I was really torn between the white and green pads but based on advice here I went with white.

Next time I order, I may go with thin pads because they seem to be the new hotness.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's pics

Please check the images and suggest me the pad

Post Thanks / Like

not sure what polisher you have but get the LC Thin Pros

Post Thanks / Like

What kind of car is it that you are working on?

It may help us guesstimate what pads will work.

You will probably need a couple different pads depending on your plans and a polish like Ultimate Polish. The harder factory paint may take more aggressive pad(say LC orange or yellow Flat pad) to get any results, and may need to be followed up with a polish and a white pad(Flat pad).

If the soft paint is really soft, the compound may not work well with it. You will not know until you pick up a couple pads and try them out.

I'd would start out with the orange and white Flat pads, or their equivalent. Basically a polishing pad and a light or medium cutting pad.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nothingface5384 View Post
    not sure what polisher you have but get the LC Thin Pros
    How stiff are the grey Thin Pros, if you have them?

Post Thanks / Like

The car is Toyota Fortuner. Black Mica is the paint.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's the hard part, you're going to get a number of different answers for a number of different reasons including what products your using, what machine your using, and what your goals are. Quite frankly, there is no one answer. You may need a couple different color pads to get the results you need.

As others have stated, orange and white are a good starting place with LC pads. Regardless of what you decide to get, try a test spot to see if it gives you the results you want before doing the whole car.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Ehh if I were you I wouldn't get the CCS pads.. You're better off going with the Lake Country Flat Foam pads. Orange for compound, White for polish. They also have a Yellow pad but I don't have any of those Yellow ones nor have I ran into much that the Orange pad couldn't handle for the particular task. Best of all not only does the Orange pad work great at removing swirls and scratches, but it finishes down lsp ready or very near on most factory paint.

What exact DA polisher did you purchase? Before you buy pads, see if you can find a 5" backing plate to fit on your polisher instead of the 6" backing plate it came with. It will work much better with a 5" backing plate and 5"-5.5" pads.
    Do that 1st and don't waste your money on 6"-6.5" pads because you'll probably wish you had went with 5" pads later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.