autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Polish not behaveing

I'm currently working on a range rover in a blue balck metalic paint. Its only done 10,000 moles and as is par for the course with these things it's a mess to say the least.

The car is correcting well with heave cut needed , the best combo I found was a megs purple foam da cutting pad with 105 in bad areas and s3 gold xxl in most orhers.

On to the front wing and the compound s8mply will not break down no matter what I do. Fresh pad, differing amounts of liquid, differing pressure speeds you name it, the polish simply goes like a thick sticky paste that balls up and flyes all over the place. To remove it is a real pain in the butt too. It's also happening 9n 2 other panels aswell. I've tried even stepping down on the combo but that's not doing any different. What's going on here? If ot was showing any improvement I'd say ot was really really soft paint but it's not even correcting in these places, one pass and I've got a unworkable panel.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Polish not behaveing

Hmm sounds like sticky paint, that is, paint that absorbs the polishing oils faster than you can effectively use the polish. As for a solution, I have none to draw from personal experience, however from what Ive read some people opt for polishes with more oils so that enough still remain on the paint, or spritzing the area to be polished with distilled water. Hopefully some one else with a bit more experience can chime in.

James

Post Thanks / Like

Around this time of year (Jun - end of Sept) depending on the geo region, as temps rise, there are usually posts pertaining to this phenomena.

Essentially, it's "heat build up". I don't know where the OP lives, but if working on a vehicle in a warm climate, along with heat buildup from the rotation of the pad, the product will essentially dry up quickly. Leaving those little nasty balls of product on the vehicle. The ones that smear and streak when you try to get them off. Which is why I don't bother with them until I do a rinsleless or earasure wipe down after the correction step.

The question is, how much product are you putting on the pad? How often are you "cleaning your pad on the fly" https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...m-pad-fly.html

Second question is how often are you changing out pads?? You should prepare to use 6 to 8 pads for cutting, 4-6 for polish and 1 to 2 to spread wax or sealant.

I know it can get pretty darn hot down under, but here in AZ we've at least cornered the market on heat in the US. With temps upward of 115-120 I've changed pads like I never did before. My pads and product was drying so quickly I used about 8 GG Orange pads on a Honda Fit! Where as where I used to live in NH, I would have used 4 to 6.

The problem is heat buildup and your product is drying out... Change pads often or; clean on the fly, or a combo of both. Try not to over saturate the product.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies. I live in the uk and temps yesterday were only 21 so I can't put it down to heat. Also the fact it's only on 3 panels. What I did notice today was the panels don't really want to gloss up very well leaving me to believe they have been painted and. Front wing 100% has. Pads changed every panel