autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Maintaining Cquartz

Mike,

I applied Cquartz to my 2012 Infiniti FX35, thanks to your help. I have Reload, but had some trouble with high spots when applying it at full strength. I'll try a 1:1 mix the next time I use it, but in the meantime I was trying to find a polish I could use after every wash to restore that beautiful shine I spent 12 hours repairing. Would using Meguiar's Ultimate Quick Detailer (link below) hurt the Cquartz finish? If so, is there another quick polish spray you could recommend - that's perhaps not as fussy as Reload?

Meguiar's Ultimate Quik Detailer™ | Meguiar's

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Maintaining Cquartz

My personal preference is for coated or non-coated cars is Pinnacle Crystal Mist.

Post Thanks / Like

Crystal Most contains wax. I'd suggest Ultima Waterless Wash or maybe Wolfgang Rinseless.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mattkoyak View Post
    Mike,

I applied Cquartz to my 2012 Infiniti FX35, thanks to your help. I have Reload, but had some trouble with high spots when applying it at full strength. I'll try a 1:1 mix the next time I use it, but in the meantime I was trying to find a polish I could use after every wash to restore that beautiful shine I spent 12 hours repairing. Would using Meguiar's Ultimate Quick Detailer (link below) hurt the Cquartz finish? If so, is there another quick polish spray you could recommend - that's perhaps not as fussy as Reload?

Meguiar's Ultimate Quik Detailer™ | Meguiar's
    How new is your reload bottle? There was an issue a year or more ago which was resolved.
    I use reload a lot and it comes out amazing, however you must not have high temp surfaces. If you have high spots, it's flashing before you can get it off, and or, you are applying too much, or a combination of both.

Most of the time and or In higher temps, I apply a small amount of reload directly to a Gold Plush Jr and wipe on the panel, flip the Gold Plush Jr. and wipe again to buff off.

Quote Originally Posted by WillSports3 View Post
    Crystal Most contains wax. I'd suggest Ultima Waterless Wash or maybe Wolfgang Rinseless.
    Crystal Mist is a Polymer/Caranuba blend. Why would you not use it as a QD? It certainly isn't breaking any hard-n-fast rules.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by paul_g View Post
    How new is your reload bottle?
    I picked it up when I repaired the car's pain last May (2016). However, I'm specifically asking about the Meguiar's because I've already used it a couple times. After this last time I washed the car, it didn't appear as if the Cquarts repelling properties were working like they did initially. I'm more curious if the Meguiar's hurt the coating, and if there's something better out there for maintaining a great shine - and that won't hurt the Cquartz.

Post Thanks / Like

You'll be fine using it, and I'd be surprised if anything other than containing abrasives would hurt it. However I'm more curious about this statement....

it didn't appear as if the Cquarts repelling properties were working like they did initially.
    Can you define this statement? The coating goes on, flashes, you wipe off excess and allow 24 hours to cure w/out moisture (even morning or evening dew.) Once cured it is a hardened coating of Si02. Go back and look at an old sued applicator cloth, should be non-pliable and rigid/stiff (if you didn't discard them in the trash...)

Not sure what you are seeing that leads you to believe it's "not working".

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by paul_g View Post
    ...define this statement?
    I applied two coats of Cquartz back in May, allowing for proper cure time, etc. The first few times I washed the car after initial coating, water beaded up and/or shot off the coated surfaces. Just like advertised After this last wash, however, water was remaining on areas like the hood and the doors, in sheets. Not beading or repelling.

I use a typical 2-bucket wash process, with a Karcher K7 and Chemical Guys CWS_101 Maxi-Suds II Super Suds Car Wash.

Post Thanks / Like

I applied two coats of Cquartz back in May, allowing for proper cure time, etc. The first few times I washed the car after initial coating, water beaded up and/or shot off the coated surfaces. Just like advertised After this last wash, however, water was remaining on areas like the hood and the doors, in sheets. Not beading or repelling.

I use a typical 2-bucket wash process, with a Karcher K7 and Chemical Guys CWS_101 Maxi-Suds II Super Suds Car Wash.
    Try washing with Car Pro's Reset, which leaves nothing behind. It may be your soap leaving a residue.
    Look at the date of your Reload on the bottom of the bottle. I would not give up on Reload as it's the same SIo2 that's in CQuartz.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    I would not give up on Reload...
    My FX is jet black, and Reload left shadows no matter what I did. The more I fussed with them, the worse they got. I ended up using Eraser to try and remove them, but to no avail. I've heard diluting it 1:1 with water helps.

I only switched to the Meguiar's because it didn't shadow/haze.

Post Thanks / Like

My FX is jet black, and Reload left shadows no matter what I did. The more I fussed with them, the worse they got. I ended up using Eraser to try and remove them, but to no avail. I've heard diluting it 1:1 with water helps.

I only switched to the Meguiar's because it didn't shadow/haze.
    As I said, look at the date. I have a black car and had the same problem like many others. Since getting the new formula, no streaking. I also found that using a suede towel makes it super easy to remove the residue from Reload.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast