autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: california duster question

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    Both your Avatars show light colored car/truck. Try using the CD on dark colored Japanese cars/trucks.
    I'm not getting in a pissing contest. I've had the white car for a few months. Let me clarify this. I've had different color vehicles over the past 20+ years, including black, and have not had a problem with the CD. If it's a problem for someone I guess they can choose not to use one.
    2008 Toyota Tacoma 410,000 miles and still going strong.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a CA Duster. Haven't used it in years. It may scratch or may not. Nobody knows for sure in each instance, too many variables.

So, to err on the side of caution, I simply use a powerful blower to blow and dust off the car. Now, I know that will not scratch and will not leave streaks - like a CA Duster can sometimes leave on black cars.

So, to me, a CA Duster is not an optimal away to remove dust, pollen, etc... from a car's paint. It's one way - but I don't see how someone could argue it's the "best" or safest way.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MX5HIGH View Post
    I'm not getting in a pissing contest. I've had the white car for a few months. Let me clarify this. I've had different color vehicles over the past 20+ years, including black, and have not had a problem with the CD. If it's a problem for someone I guess they can choose not to use one.
    Quote Originally Posted by swanicyouth View Post
    I have a CA Duster. Haven't used it in years. It may scratch or may not. Nobody knows for sure in each instance, too many variables.

So, to err on the side of caution, I simply use a powerful blower to blow and dust off the car. Now, I know that will not scratch and will not leave streaks - like a CA Duster can sometimes leave on black cars.

So, to me, a CA Duster is not an optimal away to remove dust, pollen, etc... from a car's paint. It's one way - but I don't see how someone could argue it's the "best" or safest way.
    Hey, to each his own. Some guys like it, and some do not. I think rsurfer mentioned lighter colored paint, and I'm sure he may be right. If my truck were black, I may have a different opinion. But, as MX stated, he does not have a problem with any color.

But, to me, the benefit of dust removal outweighs the slight (if any) micro marring I might incur that can be easily polished out if detected.

This product is truly polarizing.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm in the "pro" camp and I own three black vehicles.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    Some guys like it, and some do not.
    I'm thinking Robert Palmer.

This product is truly polarizing.
    And now it's 'outboard motor.'

Post Thanks / Like

UPDATE: Just used my freshly washed duster this am. Car was ww'd last Sunday and had a medium/light coating of dust. Car has a less than month old coat of 845 on. It worked well. No smearing from the wax, as I just washed it so there is probably no wax on it. My paint is far from perfect (light scratches) so I wasn't too concerned about what the duster would do. If I had a scratch free car there is no way I'd use this thing.
    I just don't see how something as fine as dust particles could scratch paint with very little preasure being applied. Boggles the mind.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by parshooter View Post
    UPDATE: Just used my freshly washed duster this am. Car was ww'd last Sunday and had a medium/light coating of dust. Car has a less than month old coat of 845 on. It worked well. No smearing from the wax, as I just washed it so there is probably no wax on it. My paint is far from perfect (light scratches) so I wasn't too concerned about what the duster would do. If I had a scratch free car there is no way I'd use this thing.
    I just don't see how something as fine as dust particles could scratch paint with very little preasure being applied. Boggles the mind.
    It's the acumination of dust (dirt) on the cleaning media (MF) dragged across the paint, along with pressure that causes the damage. What boggles the mind is CD saying the dirtier the duster gets the better it cleans without scratching.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by parshooter View Post
    It's the acumination of dust (dirt) on the cleaning media (MF) dragged across the paint, along with pressure that causes the damage. What boggles the mind is CD saying the dirtier the duster gets the better it cleans without scratching.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    What boggles the mind is CD saying the dirtier the duster gets the better it cleans without scratching.
    Yeah, I wanted mine to clean real good and didn't want to wait - so I threw it in a dirt pit and stomped on it a bunch of times before dragging it across my paint.

Seems legit.

Post Thanks / Like

Heh swanicyouth

Have you actually used one?
    Crispy 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix DD, always clean (except today) Hobby Detailer

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast