autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Need Some Advice on Oxidation Returning after a week.

I'm looking for serious help since I have never encountered this issue before.

I performed a full paint correction on a 2002 Ford dually (was heavily swirled and oxidized). So I broke out my trusted M105/M205 and for the drivers side Wheel tub that had been repainted by a real crappy body shop ( Damp sanded with 1500, 3000 and 5000 Trizact).

The truck looked flawless but a little over a week has gone by now and received a call from the owner saying I cheated him and just waxed his truck because the wheel tub has oxidation again.

I went to inspect the oxidation and couldn't beleave my eyes the oxidation had returned after just one week. Now I don't know what to do, I don't want to try Damp sanding it again because I'm thinking I'll sand through the clear.

If anyone experienced this issue before please help!!!

I don't want to refund his money after spending 3 days working on it.

Need Some Advice on Oxidation Returning after a week.-dually-1-jpg

Need Some Advice on Oxidation Returning after a week.-dually-2-jpg

Need Some Advice on Oxidation Returning after a week.-daully-3-jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Need Some Advice on Oxidation Returning after a week.

Isn't that part of the truck plastic or fiberglass.That part the tub notoriously fades quicker than the rest of the truck.Try using a cleaner wax or machine that part again.possible dieback from sanding it.is the whole tub oxidized or just parts of it.

Post Thanks / Like

Could be single stage paint,did you have paint transfer on your pads?

Post Thanks / Like

What did you use to remove sanding marr,wool or foam.put some car wash soap on it or mixed alcohol,if it fades worse it's not your promblem its single stage inferior paint.

Post Thanks / Like

Actually don't use any wax,just repolish with 205 and wash the tub with soap and see what happens.

Post Thanks / Like

I wish it was single stage paint, the tub is base/clear ( no visible paint to the pad). After I damp sanded, the tub was first compounded with 105 and wool pad on a rotary. Than refined with 105 on Meguiars microfibre cutting pad on DA polisher and finish off with M205 with Black Lake Country on DA polisher. Finally sealed by band with Jetseal.

Post Thanks / Like

you got me on this one.are you sure you were able to polish out all the sand marring.why did you jump from 1500 to 3000,I would redo the tub with compound and polish,then strip it and see what happens.can you get a better pic.

Post Thanks / Like

Going out on a limb here.. Is there a chance the owner has stripped the tub after your work to make a prblem he could easily sort with an eye to saving money?

Little with your process leaps out as a major problem.. assuming here that each step fully removed the previousl levels marring / marks etc..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coppertop80 View Post
    I wish it was single stage paint, the tub is base/clear ( no visible paint to the pad). After I damp sanded, the tub was first compounded with 105 and wool pad on a rotary. Than refined with 105 on Meguiars microfibre cutting pad on DA polisher and finish off with M205 with Black Lake Country on DA polisher. Finally sealed by band with Jetseal.
    Sounds like the clear on the tub has been compromised. Using aggressive (very) methods on 14 year old paint is asking for problems. You probably didn't have a paint gauge that would measure plastic/fiberglass. If you didn't have a PG you should have gotten a release of liability, as you well know now the risk you are taking.

I may sound like a broken record, but never wet sand without a paint gauge.

Super Member Joe@NextLevelDetail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

You already wet sanded, polished it etc.

And it came back after a week, nothing you can do polish wise is going to make it last, it sounds like you know what your doing so it wasn't due to your polishing.

Its the paint and no matter how many times you polish or what you use it will come back.

Don't go to agressive taking more and more paint off then you are going to have to re spray it. And he's going to want the top of the line a1 best paint job he can get.

To avoid this mess, make a deal to give him back a portion of his money, and if its just those skirts that faded, explain to him that its the paint not your polishing job and show him how the rest of the car looks good.

This is a losing situation in my opinoin just don't make it worse by going through the paint. That will cost more time money and heart ache.

These problem jobs pop up there's no avoiding them.

When I first opened my shop i did a paint correction job on a single stage LeBaron of all cars.

I did it dirt cheap because I just opened up and wanted to build a reputation, he got water marks on it and it was my fault, lol

Guess who had to re-clay re-wash and re-polish a car I did basically as a favor all because I told him I would wax and it would be protected.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast