autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Which paint coating??

There are soooo many choices... I detail cars on the side and I'm looking for the best coating for my needs that will please customers as well. Ease of installing is always a plus, I need direction on what brand/product paint coating I need to go with. I also need a wheel coating option that is safe and effective for powder coated wheels. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Which paint coating??

You're gonna get a lot of opinions on this subject.

Of all the coatings I've used, I will rank the ones (sold by AG) from easiest to most difficult (for beginners).

1. Pinnacle Black Label
    2. McKee's paint coating

Those two are really about the same in terms of application and ease of use. You really can't get easier than those two. You spray on, spread with a coating applicator and buff away. Easy peasy lemon squeezy.

3. Wolfgang Uber Ceramic. Of all the dropper-style (thicker liquids) and spread coatings, this is in my opinion the easiest to apply and wipe away. I've used it on paint, glass and wheels. Very easy. A bit pricey though.

4. DLUX. Trim of course, but still super easy.

5. Gtechniq C1. Now that they've gotten rid of the gauze makeup applicators and now that you can use suede or their own, this one is relatively easy to apply, but I've found it to be a little dependent upon temp and humidity in terms of flashing. You really have to look from multiple angles and under various lights to ensure you didn't leave any high spots.

6. EXO. By itself, it's fine. Super hydrophobic. However, when you need to time it with the application of C1 (don't know about CSL), that's what makes it difficult. People have reported streaking with the combo. I've done the C1/EXO combo before and it looks stunning and is incredibly long lasting and hydrophobic. It's been on my wife's car for about 19 months now and still is going strong after 28,000 miles of driving messy kids!

7. Gyeon Mohs. Incredible gloss and deepening of the paint color, but, man, if you're slow on the buffing or overlook a high spot, you'll be breaking out the polisher like I had to the first time I applied it. Having used it a few times, it probably will be my go to coating for my own car.

I'll probably migrate to Wolfgang as my coating of choice for others.

There are some other coatings I've used from companies not sold on AG. They all fall in the range of easy to moderate.

Wheels? Use WG or just spray something on every couple of months like Hydro Blue or Wet Coat.

(Sent via my mobile device...)

Perfection is attained by slow degrees; it requires the hand of time. (Voltaire)
    2013 TESLA MODEL S | Gyeon Syncro | Gyeon Cancoat

Post Thanks / Like

I assume you haven't used Cquartz? As for wheels, is their anything available that will prevent brake dust from sticking... As far as durability, what's your all around favorite of the ones you have listed?

Post Thanks / Like

For ease of use and durability I would suggest GTech CSL. It is one of the most durable consumer grade coatings and is a wipe on wipe off. In the last month or so I have done 4 vehicles with it topped with EXO (which isn't needed). I didn't coat any rims with it yet but would guess it will do quite well. I have mine coated with WG Uber which works quite well and untill I take the time to polish them no need to change.

You asked about brake dust sticking to it here is a picture on my front rim just before I switched to different tires and rims for winter. That is with the stock high dusting Audi pads (which I switched to low dust at that time). All I used to clean them all summer was just normal car wash and MF towel to get the tight corners. Same with the tires which are coated with a couple layers of Tuf Shine coating

Post Thanks / Like

Does gtech have a maintenance setup like reload for cquartz? Also do they offer a polish that allows the coating to bond etc...

Post Thanks / Like

They do make a spray like reload C2V3 but no Essence like product. On one of the ones I did I did a final polish with Essence to check long term durability but that will take a long time I would guess. As far as maintenance goes I will probably do the same as I did with the Uber and use PA High gloss or Overcoat as a drying aid every month or so.