autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

DA over Rotary...

Hi Mike,

There is a lot of talk about the forced rotation and long throw DA's available. DEFINETELY not trying to start another "long throw vs forced rotation" thread, but more around True Rotary over DA.

I know you have a ton of time behind a true rotary machine, and wanted to get your thoughts when it comes to moderate - heavy correction with the "newer" DA's. I have thought about purchasing one for a couple of years now, but have always been pretty happy with my Rotary/DA combo.

Aside from the "paint safety" factors of DA's (rather forced or not), when it comes to moderate-heavy correction work, are there other benefits you see with the DA's over a rotary?

I generally like finishing with DA's (GG6/PC), but tend to reach for the concentrated fast spinning pads of a rotary when there is any type of "serious" correction needed. Being an old production detailer, it is normally the "speed" of correction with a rotary that attracts me, but being I no longer do this full time for a living, if there are other benefits that I am missing I don't mind a little extra time behind the machine.

I'm wondering if I am stuck in the "old school" and missing something with the new(er) machines.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: DA over Rotary...

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by UTdetailing View Post
    Hi Mike,

There is a lot of talk about the forced rotation and long throw DA's available. DEFINETELY not trying to start another "long throw vs forced rotation" thread, but more around True Rotary over DA.

I know you have a ton of time behind a true rotary machine, and wanted to get your thoughts when it comes to moderate - heavy correction with the "newer" DA's. I have thought about purchasing one for a couple of years now, but have always been pretty happy with my Rotary/DA combo.

Aside from the "paint safety" factors of DA's (rather forced or not), when it comes to moderate-heavy correction work, are there other benefits you see with the DA's over a rotary?

I generally like finishing with DA's (GG6/PC), but tend to reach for the concentrated fast spinning pads of a rotary when there is any type of "serious" correction needed. Being an old production detailer, it is normally the "speed" of correction with a rotary that attracts me, but being I no longer do this full time for a living, if there are other benefits that I am missing I don't mind a little extra time behind the machine.

I'm wondering if I am stuck in the "old school" and missing something with the new(er) machines.
    I am of the same opinion "find something you like and use it often".

If it works for you stick with it.

However it is always possible to "miss the boat" , but a forced rotation is moving closer to a rotary and the traditional DA is the opposite end of the spectrum.

I started with a rotary, then got my Porter Cable DA.

Once I got the hang of the DA, l rarely use the rotary.

As I only do my own car my needs are meager.
    Crispy 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix DD, always clean (except today) Hobby Detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crispy View Post
    I am of the same opinion "find something you like and use it often".

If it works for you stick with it.

However it is always possible to "miss the boat" , but a forced rotation is moving closer to a rotary and the traditional DA is the opposite end of the spectrum.

I started with a rotary, then got my Porter Cable DA.

Once I got the hang of the DA, l rarely use the rotary.

As I only do my own car my needs are meager.
    Same here.

I started with rotary, but always wanted something a little less "intense". The PC was a godsend in that regard.

Post Thanks / Like

IMO the "hybrid" of both worlds (the DA and rotary) is the Flex 3401. That is the only forced rotational DA that I know of (unless Flex comes out with their new model). I have the PC7424XP and I still use it and love it. But for bigger tasks and faster corrections I use the Flex 3401. It is my go to DA. IMO this is the best of both worlds. I would look into that if you are looking.
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kamakaz1961 View Post
    IMO the "hybrid" of both worlds (the DA and rotary) is the Flex 3401. That is the only forced rotational DA that I know of (unless Flex comes out with their new model). I have the PC7424XP and I still use it and love it. But for bigger tasks and faster corrections I use the Flex 3401. It is my go to DA. IMO this is the best of both worlds. I would look into that if you are looking.

The Flex 3401 is a great tool, & perhaps an option to think about. I believe Makita make a hybrid style machine that can be free spinning or forced rotation & the little I have heard in terms of feedback, it seems like a nice tool too. As far as what you're doing, if you do a lot of heavy or moderately heavy correction work, then I personally would stick to the rotary, simply because of the speed in which you can correct but also - the Flex 3401 can come in handy here too - it can demolish defects pretty quickly & with the standards of quality compounds these days, it'll finish down LSP ready most of the time also.

This is not to say, count out the other DAs be it a Rupes, Griots or even the new Flex long throw machine, they are all capable tools.

Aaryn NZ.
    a DETAILS Blenheim New Zealand - IDA Member - C.Quartz Finest Authorized Installer

Post Thanks / Like

Great Post!!! I'm 28, but like you I also started with a rotary (Dewalt 849x) and for the first two years I was working exclusively on repainted classic cars. Actually, I had a pneumatic DA but only ever used it for sanding. It wasn't until I started reading the forums that I bought a PC7424xp and later a gg6. Since then I've also purchased a Rupes MKII which while I do enjoy using on trailers, rv's, and boats, when it comes to vehicles I just really prefer the precision and speed of the rotary followed with a 8mm throw DA (especially the GG6).

I've also tried the Flex 3401 and hated it. I didn't like that I couldn't blow my pads out with compressed air, but most of all I personally couldn't adjust to the counter clockwise rotation. As much as I wish I could tell you that you were really missing out. I really think that cutting with rotary paired with either lambswool or foamed wool and keeping your RPM's between 600-1200 it is the safest method of correcting. Plus with the current advancements in pads and abrasive technology it's possible to correct and finish to perfection with even a DA as under powered as the PC 7424xp

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by UTdetailing View Post
    Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app
    I do, how many cars are you doing that need "major correction"? I'm not a pro detailer but i would think most cars are in decent condition at least and just need some gloss enhancement or swirls taken out at the most? da's gotta be better for that?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aaryn NZ View Post
    The Flex 3401 is a great tool, & perhaps an option to think about. I believe Makita make a hybrid style machine that can be free spinning or forced rotation & the little I have heard in terms of feedback, it seems like a nice tool too. As far as what you're doing, if you do a lot of heavy or moderately heavy correction work, then I personally would stick to the rotary, simply because of the speed in which you can correct but also - the Flex 3401 can come in handy here too - it can demolish defects pretty quickly & with the standards of quality compounds these days, it'll finish down LSP ready most of the time also.

This is not to say, count out the other DAs be it a Rupes, Griots or even the new Flex long throw machine, they are all capable tools.

Aaryn NZ.
    i just started using the flex. i can now appreciate what mike says about using it to "power through a finish"

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all....... good stuff from all of you!

I really like the thought of finishing a compound down lsp ready. I consider myself pretty competent with a rotary (though I suspect many of you could rotary circles around me), but have never been able to get a compound to finish to a point I could put a sealant/wax on top of it. However with the modern AIO's, if I did start doing this for a living again, unless someone was paying for a coating I don't know if I would ever 3 step again. At most 2 step.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast