autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Trouble with 2016 Mustang (Black) paint.

Hey guys! I am completely new to detailing. I just recently purchased a TorqX along with the Chemical Guys Vline polishes and hex pads. I have had a hard time trying to perfect the condition of the paint. I stopped using the orange(most aggressive) hex pad because it was way too firm for the paint. I then went with the white pad and a mild cutting polish. As expected there was marring left over. I then went with a grey pad/finishing polish and the marring was slightly taken away but it was still there and hazy. I am going insane as to what to do next. I don't want to be cutting anymore clear coat off my paint. If anyone can give me some advice that would be great! Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Trouble with 2016 Mustang (Black) paint.

Unfortunately, it sounds like you have soft paint. It can be very difficult to dial in a perfect finish on soft paint. Even experienced people have problems. Change the speed and pressure. CG polishes aren't that good, IMO.
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ruben12 View Post
    Hey guys! I am completely new to detailing. I just recently purchased a TorqX along with the Chemical Guys Vline polishes and hex pads. I have had a hard time trying to perfect the condition of the paint. I stopped using the orange(most aggressive) hex pad because it was way too firm for the paint.
    Something isn't right here. An orange pad on a black mustang won't mar or leave problems like that. My guess is the pad and product are picking up contaminants from the paint. The more aggressive Yellow combined with compound will leave hazing but even that won't mar the paint.

Did you clay and chemically decontaminate the paint prior to polishing? Are you using V36 or V34?

then went with the white pad and a mild cutting polish. As expected there was marring left over. I then went with a grey pad/finishing polish and the marring was slightly taken away but it was still there and hazy. I am going insane as to what to do next. I don't want to be cutting anymore clear coat off my paint. If anyone can give me some advice that would be great! Thanks!
    Not personally familiar with the V-line of products but I've polished three mustangs over the last year, orange, red and black using HD PRoducts and Megs Products with an orange pad and had fantastic results.

I would change up products if you've decontaminated everything.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pdqgp View Post
    Something isn't right here. An orange pad on a black mustang won't mar or leave problems like that. My guess is the pad and product are picking up contaminants from the paint. The more aggressive Yellow combined with compound will leave hazing but even that won't mar the paint.

Did you clay and chemically decontaminate the paint prior to polishing? Are you using V36 or V34?

Not personally familiar with the V-line of products but I've polished three mustangs over the last year, orange, red and black using HD PRoducts and Megs Products with an orange pad and had fantastic results.

Every car is different. Have you polished a black 2015+ mustang?
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WRAPT C5Z06 View Post
    Every car is different. Have you polished a black 2015+ mustang?
    Yep. Both the red and orange are 2015's. HDSpeed and an orange pad on those two. May be doing another orange one soon.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

Yep. Both the red and orange are 2015's. HDSpeed and an orange pad on those two. May be doing another orange one soon.
    Ah, ok. Cool.
    '03 Corvette Z06

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Multiple questions...did you start off with the most aggressive method by using the orange pad? Also what V line polish did you start off with as well?

Was the car clayed and decontaminated before hand and what technique are you using? How much pressure and was this done in direct sunlight?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by obihave12 View Post
    Multiple questions...did you start off with the most aggressive method by using the orange pad? Also what V line polish did you start off with as well?

Was the car clayed and decontaminated before hand and what technique are you using? How much pressure and was this done in direct sunlight?
    Yes, I completely decontaminated the paint. I also made sure to get the iron contaminants out with IronX. I started off with an orange hex pad and VSS(Scratch and swirl remover) which completely destroyed my paint. I then went with V36 and a white pad. That kind of cleared the marring. From there I went V38 and a gray pad. That really didn't do much but leave behind a light haze and moro marring. I was using a cross hatch pattern with 3 passes. I was went from putting 5 lbs of pressure to no pressure to about 7 lbs of pressure. None of those seemed to fix the problem. Also I was doing it in a shaded area with cool paint.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I made sure to decontaminate the paint. I also removed the possible iron contaminants. The car is only 5 months old, so the paint was in pretty good condition. Maybe the Chemical Guys orange hex pad is different from the orange pad you are talking about? I have literally tried everything with this paint and it is just proving to me that it is extremely soft. I attacked the paint with V36 and a less abrasive pad (White) that also left a haze and some marring. I then went V38 and a soft pad (gray) and it cleared some of the marring up but not all of it. There is still a haze to the paint and micro marring left over. I'm thinking I might have to change pads/products. Any suggestions as to what I should do next?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WRAPT C5Z06 View Post
    Unfortunately, it sounds like you have soft paint. It can be very difficult to dial in a perfect finish on soft paint. Even experienced people have problems. Change the speed and pressure. CG polishes aren't that good, IMO.
    Any suggestions?? I'm starting to panic here because parts of my hood are marred up due to my test spots

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast