autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Best protection for chrome

I've been using the Collinite #850 Metal Wax on my El Camino for many years, on the chrome as well as stainless and aluminum. 850 is not as aggressive as many other polishes, so nasty areas may need a stronger polish at first, or #0000 steel wool with the 850, but the legendary Collinite protection lasts nearly forever. My truck has been retired from daily use and is now a garage queen, so a once a year treatment is all it needs to keep everything nice.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like

I'm Gonna add that to my arsenal thanks for the info.

Post Thanks / Like

If the chrome isn't in bad shape,you might be able to use Fleetwax on it. The metal wax works to remove light rust and other stuff but it is lightly abrasive. Fleetwax also hold up longer. We use Fleetwax on the polished stainless on the motor yacht I work on. We apply a heavy coat and don't remove it for deliveries of 3 days or more and then wax it off after arrival. It really protects the metal from the salt spray during rough transits and then for several months after we remove it. We also have the Insulator wax on board but I have the crew use Fleetwax because it holds up longer. It is a multi use product.

Post Thanks / Like

Has anyone tried Wolfgang MetallWerk™ Concours Metal Sealant by Wolfgang on chrome.

I got it in a mystery box. Just have not had opportunity to use it.

Seal in the mirror-like shine on all polished metals.

Post Thanks / Like

I would use the 845, 476S or 885 if the chrome is in good condition. If there is a problem with the chrome then 850 topped with any of the LSP's. 850 is not meant to be used constantly unless you have chrome problems regularly. 850 is meant to clean up the problem.
    From Collinite's site

2a.
    NOT for use on:

Clear coat paint or painted metals

*Clean metal surfaces where the cleaning agents/abrasives found in the No. 850 Metal Wax are not required.

Surfaces NOT recommended above, as testing has yet to be extensively conducted. Refer to Collinite
    directly with application inquiries.

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

I should let you know the Collinite products will add a carnuba glow to your chrome, you may like it or you may not. If not and the chrome is in good condition FK1000 sealant may be the choice. The Fleetwax I believe Whitewater25 is referring to is the 870 brand which has cleaners, sort of an AIO as the 885 is a pure paste wax with no cleaners.

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Whitewater25 View Post
    If the chrome isn't in bad shape,you might be able to use Fleetwax on it. The metal wax works to remove light rust and other stuff but it is lightly abrasive. Fleetwax also hold up longer. We use Fleetwax on the polished stainless on the motor yacht I work on. We apply a heavy coat and don't remove it for deliveries of 3 days or more and then wax it off after arrival. It really protects the metal from the salt spray during rough transits and then for several months after we remove it. We also have the Insulator wax on board but I have the crew use Fleetwax because it holds up longer. It is a multi use product.
    Chrome is not in bad shape, but is getting old. I have a bunch of products, but always looking for something to make my life easier when it comes to detailing. I may order some Collinite Metal Wax as there are some other things I can use it for like our car trailers. Our 53' stacker has some diamond plate as well as stainless and chrome.

Post Thanks / Like

I skimmed through some of the posts here and I just wanted to clear a few things up.

1) polish is not a sealant or wax of any kind. Unless on the bottle it states it is an AIO type of product then there is no sealing properties. Polishing refers to correcting.
    2) do NOT utilize carnauba waxes on wheels or anywhere where brake dust is prevalent. Why? Because the properties of that organic material actually attract and help cause the brake dust to clump and stick to the surface especially when water is added to the mix. It is even more noticeable when using cerametallic type pads.
    3)Best longest lasting sealant to use on anything these days is a quality ceramic coating and doing a multi-layered process. Now nothing protects it against extremely hot brake dust from high speed braking. But it is the best most durable coating for chrome surfaces and pretty much any surface for that matter.

As for polishes there are many different polishes to chose from. Pick something that you like that works for you and your application.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Delegance Detailing View Post
    I skimmed through some of the posts here and I just wanted to clear a few things up.

1) polish is not a sealant or wax of any kind. Unless on the bottle it states it is an AIO type of product then there is no sealing properties. Polishing refers to correcting.
    2) do NOT utilize carnauba waxes on wheels or anywhere where brake dust is prevalent. Why? Because the properties of that organic material actually attract and help cause the brake dust to clump and stick to the surface especially when water is added to the mix. It is even more noticeable when using cerametallic type pads.
    3)Best longest lasting sealant to use on anything these days is a quality ceramic coating and doing a multi-layered process. Now nothing protects it against extremely hot brake dust from high speed braking. But it is the best most durable coating for chrome surfaces and pretty much any surface for that matter.

As for polishes there are many different polishes to chose from. Pick something that you like that works for you and your application.
    I sure do not agree with # 2. I have/still use Collinite 845,476,885 etc. and the wheels stay cleaner than using nothing at all. What little dust I get cleans off very easily. Some people like coatings but I would not use it on chrome myself. Just my opinion.

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by davidc View Post
    I sure do not agree with # 2. I have/still use Collinite 845,476,885 etc. and the wheels stay cleaner than using nothing at all. What little dust I get cleans off very easily. Some people like coatings but I would not use it on chrome myself. Just my opinion.

Dave
    Well yea if you are cleaning your dust off regularly then any coating will do. I am simply talking about for those who do not do that. Also it depends on the kind of usage. There are many factors involved with detailing. If your Collinite method works for you then great! All I am saying there is a better option. I also do not understand why you do not like a ceramic coating on chrome? They look and perform brilliantly!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast