autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Abrassive Scale for Marine31

Hey Mike is it possible to get a Abrasive Scale for the Marine 31 line?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Abrassive Scale for Marine31

Marine 31 which I tried numerous times,is a good product for a newer type boat where the finish is 2 years old.my personal take on its abrasive meter from 1 to 10 would be a 4 with a wool cutting pad.This is my own personal opinion using 31 on various finishes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GSKR View Post
    Marine 31 which I tried numerous times,is a good product for a newer type boat where the finish is 2 years old.my personal take on its abrasive meter from 1 to 10 would be a 4 with a wool cutting pad.This is my own personal opinion using 31 on various finishes.
    Which marine31 product are you referring to?

Post Thanks / Like

Compound.look into the scholls line,very good product for your situation.you can formulate your own onestep with s2 Orange and a polish that will cut down on the dusting,like HD speed.on very bad projects I formulated one steps to cut time.205 works with pretty much anything as far as mixing.Im not a mixing person often only when time constraints and horrible finishes need to be revived.scholls is good.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Coastalf350 View Post

Hey Mike is it possible to get a Abrasive Scale for the Marine 31 line?

How's this, from the most aggressive to the least aggressive.

Gel Coat Heavy Cut Oxidation Remover
    Captains One-Step Compound & Polish
    Gel Coat Gloss & Color Restorer
    Gel Coat Final Step Polish

The Captains One-Step Compound & Polish uses drastically different abrasive technology than the other three products. It's not going to cut as fast as the Gel Coat Heavy Cut Oxidation Remover but it is going to finish out like a polish so there's a trade-off of speed for end-results.

For my money and time, if the Captains Compound won't remove the oxidation fast enough then I would machine sand before using a more aggressive compound.

I cover all of this in my how-to book.

That is I cover how it's easier on you, faster overall and produces better results that last longer to machine sand off heavy oxidation and finish out at a high #grit level and then compound out your sanding marks than it is to push hard for HOURS with a rotary buffer against a boat hull that's at an angle, (an angle that leads away from you making buffing against it even more difficult), than using a more agressive compound.

BOOK: How To Detail Boats With Marine 31 by Mike Phillips

It's no coincidence that car guys also tend to be boat guys!

The two hobbies go together well when it comes to having fun and also when it comes to detailing and maintaining both cars and boats.

This how to book contains more in-depth information on boat detailing than any other book ever written on this topic. This is without a doubt the most complete and information rich how-to book I've ever written. (I have 5 paperback how-to books in print and 3 ebooks available).

This paperback book on how to detail boats goes over every surface of a boat both inside and out. It also covers every conceivable condition a boat is in with specific steps for correction.

It covers all these tools,

Flex 3401
    Flex PE14
    RUPES BigFoot 21
    RUPES BigFoot Duetto
    RUPES TA50
    Cyclo polisher
    Porter Cable 7424XP
    DeWALT 849X
    Makita 9237CX2
    Griot's Garage 6" DA Polisher
    3M Air DA Sander

Working by hand
    I know most people start out working by hand so I included hand techniques for every topic.

Plus all the pads, brushes and sanding discs to use with the above tool.

Instead of typing out all the topics covered in this book I've simply taken pictures of the index which shows you just how in-depth this how to book truly is...

Many of the topics covered also apply to car detailing so it's a valuable resource even if you don't yet own a boat.

If you're familiar with my writing style in the forum world you'll find the same style of writing in all my how-to books. That is I explain in simple terms how to perform a process plus why you're performing it and it's a combination of including both types of information that helps you to do the best work possible.

On Autogeek.com

How To Detail Boats With Marine 31 by Mike Phillips

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the response Mike! Is it possible after using the heavy oxidation remover with a wool pad to polish it up and remove swirls with the gloss and color restorer with say a LC yellow or orange and my flex 3401?

Post Thanks / Like

You would need a polish,otherwise halogram heaven.cut polish wax or seal.cheating or skipping a polishing cycle will show,and it's not a quick fix on boats.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GSKR View Post
    You would need a polish,otherwise halogram heaven.cut polish wax or seal.cheating or skipping a polishing cycle will show,and it's not a quick fix on boats.
    He's saying he wants to try the heavy cut followed by polishing with the gloss and color restorer. So that would possibly be ok but I can't say from experience. I use he heavy cut followed by the finish polish but also get great results with my boss 21 using the heavy cut on a megs mf polishing pad also. Every boat is different just like cars and you should have a few things to try if doing clients boats. For personal use you could be a bit more experimental.

Post Thanks / Like

I know what he is saying.And agree what you are saying.