autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

What are the REAL benefits of a long throw polisher?

I'm new into this obsession, so I could not bring myself to spend the extra money (got a GG6) on a BOSS or one of the other long-throw polishers out there. So, like the thread title asks......what are the REAL benefits of these machines over mine, or a PC 7424 for that matter. I'm not challenging those on here who speak to their effectiveness, but I'm trying to learn what you are really paying for with the higher priced machines

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What are the REAL benefits of a long throw polisher?

Forced rotation, higher rpm, better orbit all translate into easier and faster results. Big advantage I see is time savings as they can power through tough corrections quicker. Forced rotation on uneven surfaces helps most noticeably there. I'm torn. Don't mind spending the money but for me I mainly do our own vehicles which are perfect and occasionally friends and what not. Have had zero issues accomplishing fantastic results with my PC or Shurhold.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

To my understanding there aren't any forced rotation long throw machines. The Rupes, BOSS etc are free spinning and will stop if enough resistance is provided.

My take on them is they work more because of the longer throw i.e. they work more than the shorter throw DA's.

Post Thanks / Like

The short and simple answer - a long throw polisher can accomplish higher levels of correction in less time than a traditional small orbit polisher (PC or similar) and does so without the need for extremely high speeds, forced rotation, etc.

I think what you're trying to get to the root of is why does it cost more? A few things - the engineering required to balance a tool throwing a pad around at 21mm is far more complex than accomplishing the same with an 8mm tool; we're talking 2.5x the distance traveled by the pad, which would instinctively lead you to think "more vibration" when the truth is the BigFoot 21 is smoother than any PC type tool you'll ever find, effectively the smoothest operating tool on the market save for the Cyclo that has distinct advantages in design that offset vibration. You've also got vastly improved ergonomics, efficiency, etc.

You can't really compare the latest generation of tools to things like the PC in terms of electronics. Our BigFoot line of large orbit tools is much 'smarter' utilizing a much more complex electronics module than older tools which delivered a much more linear type of power.

Post Thanks / Like

i had a hard time justifying the high price untill i bit the bullet and bought a Rupes 15. it's worth every penny, i can now polish cars faster with less effort. not even a year latter i have invested in a Rupes 21 and a 75e.

you can look into the Rupes Duetto, all of the Rupes quality at a "budget" price

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Matt@Revive View Post

you can look into the Rupes Duetto, all of the Rupes quality at a "budget" price

Not to talk anyone out of a Duetto, but with the 15ES coming down in price after the release of the 15 Mark II they're now the same price - the real justification for a Duetto is what its intended purpose is: A polisher thats also highly effective as a sander. Not everyone needs that capability, but if you do the Duetto is a killer option.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Just to clear, 8mm IS a long throw for a forced rotation device like a Flex3401. As for PC vs Long Throw? No comparison, my Rupes 15 is considerably more powerful than my PC/DAS6 not to mention the smoothness is in another league. Those 2 reasons alone justify the price difference.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by briarpatch View Post
    I'm new into this obsession, so I could not bring myself to spend the extra money (got a GG6) on a BOSS or one of the other long-throw polishers out there. So, like the thread title asks......what are the REAL benefits of these machines over mine, or a PC 7424 for that matter. I'm not challenging those on here who speak to their effectiveness, but I'm trying to learn what you are really paying for with the higher priced machines
    It is actually a good move to start with a traditional polisher like the GG6--if you ever decide to move up to a long throw machine the GG6 equipped with 3 or 4 inch pads is great for the tight bits.

The GG6 has an 8mm orbit and I don't consider that a long throw polisher. The Flex3401 adds forced rotation to the 8mm throw, but it is not a long throw polisher. The Rupes, Griots Boss and a few others are long throw polishers--either 15 or 21mm throw. Flex has announced a 15mm long throw polisher without forced rotation.

I started with a GG6 equipped with a 5" backing plate and 5.5" pads (also 3.5" backing plate and 4" pads for the tight spaces) and there isn't anything it can't handle with the right polishing products. However, I've added a Griots G15 as my primary polisher mainly because it is so much smoother and requires very little downward pressure--so polishing is much less tiring. And it cuts polishing time almost in half for me. So now the GG6 is set up permanently with 4" pads--another time saving step as I don't have to stop to change backing plates for the tight bits.

Post Thanks / Like

As a new user. Here is what I find appealing about the G15 Polisher. You don't have to apply much pressure to get the paint corrected.

Love using the polisher on my car paint.. Hated using it to polish my windows. And if your on the fence you can always order directly from Griots and try it for 180 days. Keep mind your going to get the best deal from Autogeek. Just not sure if they will let you return it after 180 days.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Dylan@RUPES;1370254]Not to talk anyone out of a Duetto, but with the 15ES coming down in price after the release of the 15 Mark II they're now the same price.QUOTE]

i forgot about the price drop on the original 15 and 21. with that info i'd jump on a 15ES before they are gone!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast