autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Mike Phillips

Vinyl Top Extreme Makeover! - Do you own a Porter Cable and a Cyclo Brush?

Vinyl Top Extreme Makeover! - Do you own a Porter Cable and a Cyclo Brush?

This car was stored, un-driven for 24 years.

Near as I can tell it was NEVER maintained. Anytime it was wash the person doing the washing either used a yard rake or a steel SOS pad and gravel for soap.

Before doing the #7 rub-down I had to wash this car first so with the help of my co-worker Derek we washed the HELL out of this car. Starting with Iron X over the entire car include paint and the vinyl top.

I'll let the pictures do the talking....

Wait till I put the before and after pictures of the top together you're going to be blown away!!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Vinyl Top Extreme Makeover! - Do you own a Porter Cable and a Cyclo Brush?

Glad you posted this Mike. I have the tools but didn't think about using on a vinyl top. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a brush attachment for my PC and I have used it a few times. Once to clean light colored floor mats, and recently to clean tires that had built up tire dressings. In either case, there is no way I could have acheived the results I did by hand!

Post Thanks / Like

I found a pretty crusty used PC locally, that will be relegated to the gross jobs like this. Totally forgot to order the brushes during the last sale - dang it!!

Post Thanks / Like

Wow excellent work!!! Beautiful!
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dlc95 View Post
    I found a pretty crusty used PC locally, that will be relegated to the gross jobs like this. Totally forgot to order the brushes during the last sale - dang it!!
    Link me to the brush and necessary attachments please. Thanks!
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

I have this one and it works with a 5" backing plate. Ive used it on tires, mats, and carpets.

Dual Action Carpet & Upholstery Brush

Post Thanks / Like

Would you use these brushes for a cloth top. I just ordered the RaggTopp full kit that was on special and I am going to be trying it this weekend on my girlfriend 2006 BMW. She just got it and when I seen it teh top was down but she said it wasn't repelling water very well. I have every brush that AG sells for the PC. The kit I ordered comes with a Boars hair brush. Two of the brushes I have are VERY soft and I never used them because I couldn't think of anything that delicate but this may be perfect. The only thing I worry about is if the top has a grain to it and it goes one direction. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by jminrod View Post

Would you use these brushes for a cloth top.

No. Not ever.

Why?

Because you're fray the fibers and make the top look fuzzy.

Assuming you bought this kit,

RaggTopp Fabric Convertible Top Cleaner & Protectant Kit

It includes a Horse Hair Brush and the bristles are perfect for gentley cleaning a cloth top. That's why this brush is included in the kit. It bubba-proofs the cleaning step.