autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Questions About Polishing Glass to Remove Scratches

I have a possible project coming up where the exterior glass will need to be polished to remove scratches.

It's a 1969 Z28 Camaro with the original glass.

I've seen it done and read some articles but have never done it myself.

I have some questions:

1. Which is better to use, a rotary or a DA?

2. What speed should be used for the rotary or DA? I'm thinking 1500 rpm for the rotary and full speed for the DA?

3. I know some have taken about 2 hours just for the windshield, not including the prep work. If the windshield was divided into four sections, that's about 30 minutes per section, that's a lot of passes in just one section. How do you know when is enough? Do you do a few passes and then wipe and check and if needed repeat the process?

4. Do you use the same procedure with the side and back windows?

5. It looks like this is the polish to use: CarPro Ceriglass Glass Polish, windshield polish, water spot remover

6. Should I go with the 5" or 3" pads? I'd rather use the 5" pads to knock it out quicker: CarPro Rayon Glass Polishing Pad, glass leveling discs

7. Any other suggestions? I know about covering up so as not to get splatter everywhere.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Questions About Polishing Glass to Remove Scratches

Boy that's going to be real glass, not whatever that soft stuff is they use today (especially Asian cars). I always use a rotary, and the pad size is going to depend on the curvature of the windshield because the glass pads don't have much give. That windshield looks pretty flat so you should be ok with the 5", unless you want to edge it with the 3".

And yes a lot of passes and a lot of checking and a lot of water to keep the glass from getting hot (which it will). The reason it takes so long is that it's really pretty mild (for glass)--it's kind of like trying to take out deep marring on paint with a finishing polish. There is a sanding method out there using some 3M PSA discs that I'd like to try some day.

Oh, and don't put too much stock in my opinions, I've only polished windshields a few times.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Boy that's going to be real glass, not whatever that soft stuff is they use today (especially Asian cars). I always use a rotary, and the pad size is going to depend on the curvature of the windshield because the glass pads don't have much give. That windshield looks pretty flat so you should be ok with the 5", unless you want to edge it with the 3".

And yes a lot of passes and a lot of checking and a lot of water to keep the glass from getting hot (which it will). The reason it takes so long is that it's really pretty mild (for glass)--it's kind of like trying to take out deep marring on paint with a finishing polish. There is a sanding method out there using some 3M PSA discs that I'd like to try some day.

Oh, and don't put too much stock in my opinions, I've only polished windshields a few times.
    Thanks Setec! I think I'll get the 5" and 3" pads. I think the 3" pads would be better for the rear side windows.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, you're doing ALL the glass? That will be a lot.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, you're doing ALL the glass? That will be a lot.
    Yes, he's got scratches on all the glass. I know it's going to be time consuming for sure.

He wants to keep the original glass if possible.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrankS View Post
    He wants to keep the original glass if possible.
    I would too. Nice car, good luck with it!

McKee's 37 Product Support
    Post Thanks / Like

[COLOR=#333333]
    3. I know some have taken about 2 hours just for the windshield, not including the prep work. If the windshield was divided into four sections, that's about 30 minutes per section, that's a lot of passes in just one section. How do you know when is enough? Do you do a few passes and then wipe and check and if needed repeat the process?
    Continue working the section until all the defects are removed. Glass is a very hard substrate, unlike paint which is soft (relatively speaking, of course).

Last summer a gentleman with a brand new Lincoln hired me to fix a couple scratches in his windshield that he induced himself (don't ask how). The scratches were about 10" x 10" section and it took me nearly 40 minutes to completely remove them. I used a Porter Cable 7424xp, CarPro CeriGlass and a Rayon Glass Pad (5"). I chose the Porter Cable because I knew that if I accidentally induced more scratches (pig tail with a DA versus arc scratches with a rotary) they would be easier to remove. It's not uncommon to induce scratches with a polish as abrasive as CeriGlass (cerium oxide is a very sharp, aggressive abrasive). Shake the polish often and take your time.

Yes it takes a lot of time and a lot of patience to polish an entire windshield. I hope you're charging him a pretty penny.

[COLOR=#333333]5. It looks like this is the polish to use: CarPro Ceriglass Glass Polish, windshield polish, water spot remover
    Great choice, as CeriGlass is currently the only cerium oxide based glass polish that we carry.

[COLOR=#333333]6. Should I go with the 5" or 3" pads? I'd rather use the 5" pads to knock it out quicker: CarPro Rayon Glass Polishing Pad, glass leveling discs
    I would use the 5 inch pad.

[COLOR=#333333]7. Any other suggestions? I know about covering up so as not to get splatter everywhere.
    Cover the entire vehicle outside of the glass and charge him a large sum of money.

Post Thanks / Like

I had a place polish out a streak made when a bit of concrete got caught under my wiper. Car was brand new and actually happened before I bought it. 3 hours but completely disappeared. Dealer paid for it. 135.00 It was an Infiniti.
    2018 Subaru Outback Touring 3.6R Crystal White Pearl, 2014 Ford F-150 FX4 - Oxford White Clearcoat.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nick@Autogeek View Post
    I used a Porter Cable 7424xp, CarPro CeriGlass and a Rayon Glass Pad (5"). I chose the Porter Cable because I knew that if I accidentally induced more scratches (pig tail with a DA versus arc scratches with a rotary) they would be easier to remove. It's not uncommon to induce scratches with a polish as abrasive as CeriGlass (cerium oxide is a very sharp, aggressive abrasive). Shake the polish often and take your time.
    Nick, I've been using the old Diamondite Glass Resurfacing Crème...was that a cerium oxide polish and how would you rate its aggressiveness vs. CeriGlass? I never had any polish-induced marring from it that I could tell, even when I used to use the hard-as-a-rock LC glass pads.

McKee's 37 Product Support
    Post Thanks / Like

Nick, I've been using the old Diamondite Glass Resurfacing Crème...was that a cerium oxide polish and how would you rate its aggressiveness vs. CeriGlass? I never had any polish-induced marring from it that I could tell, even when I used to use the hard-as-a-rock LC glass pads.
    Aggressiveness is comparable. Where it differs is the quality of the abrasives. Glass Resurfacing Creme contains smaller, more refined cerium oxide abrasives, albeit a far more concentrated blend compared to Ceriglass.

Hold onto your bottle of Glass Resurfacing Creme. It's highly sought after in the detailing world.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast