autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Mike Phillips

What kind of pad is this?

What type of pad is this?

My good friend, 2-time alumni of my 3-day detailing class and official member of the Competition Ready TV Team, recently sent me a PM

Here it is Mike, what type of applicator is this

That is a Nanoskin 6" hand backing pad with a Meguiar's 6.5" yellow foam disc on it.

Anytime you're going to be either applying a cleaner or applying a dressing to a LOT of vinyl then it's smart to use a THIN applicator pad instead of a THICK applicator pad. A thick applicator pad will waste a lot of product by soaking it up and filling all the mass of foam with perfectly good product. A thin applicator will absorb some product but not near as much as a thick applicator pad.

The other point of interest is while Nanoskin meant for these hand backing pads to be used with their Nanoskin Autoscrub pads I show them for,

• Hand sanding with 6" sanding discs
    • Applying compounds, polishes and waxes using either foam or microfiber pads

The hand backing pad doesn't care what you use it with it just enable you to use the pad without having to sandwich the pad between your four fingers and your thumb.

It make YOU more effective. It allows you to work more effectively. It's puts into practice the often used saying but rarely used,

Work smarter instead of harder

And note how in the picture the gentleman is working on a boat, (this was one of our boat detailing classes), you'll also see this Nanoskin hand backing pad showcased MULTIPLE times in my boat detailing book for all the people that work by hand and also for all the jobs that lend themselves to being performed by hand.

BOOK: How To Detail Boats With Marine 31 by Mike Phillips

Great question Rinardo! Thank you for asking...

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What kind of pad is this?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post

The hand backing pad doesn't care what you use it with it just enable you to use the pad without having to sandwich the pad between your four fingers and your thumb.

Are you sure? I heard those Nanoskin backing pads are very sensitive and emotional and get upset easily.

Just kidding of course.

That is a great tip and a great example of thinking outside the box to make detailing work easier and more effective.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post

My good friend, 2-time alumni of my 3-day detailing class and official member of the Competition Ready TV Team, recently sent me a PM

That is a Nanoskin 6" hand backing pad with a Meguiar's 6.5" yellow foam disc on it.

Anytime you're going to be either applying a cleaner or applying a dressing to a LOT of vinyl then it's smart to use a THIN applicator pad instead of a THICK applicator pad. A thick applicator pad will waste a lot of product by soaking it up and filling all the mass of foam with perfectly good product. A thin applicator will absorb some product but not near as much as a thick applicator pad.

The other point of interest is while Nanoskin meant for these hand backing pads to be used with their Nanoskin Autoscrub pads I show them for,

• Hand sanding with 6" sanding discs
    • Applying compounds, polishes and waxes using either foam or microfiber pads

It make YOU more effective. It allows you to work more effectively. It's puts into practice the often used saying but rarely used,

Work smarter instead of harder

And note how in the picture the gentleman is working on a boat, (this was one of our boat detailing classes), you'll also see this Nanoskin hand backing pad showcased MULTIPLE times in my boat detailing book for all the people that work by hand and also for all the jobs that lend themselves to being performed by hand.

BOOK: How To Detail Boats With Marine 31 by Mike Phillips

Great question Rinardo! Thank you for asking...

Thanks Mike, you answered my question

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Renozx12 View Post

Thanks Mike, you answered my question

Always glad to help buddy!