autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Thickening touch up paint

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    I agree--I don't understand the concept of using putty for a scratch, and I was, er...scratching my head when that guy Larry had a video doing that. Of course a chip or scratch combined with a ding might be a different story.

Oh, and that's a great method you posted, that should help a lot of people. The only thing I'm confused about is the urethane clear--isn't touchup (other than rattle can 2K clear) always lacquer?
    I don't use "touch up paint" per say. I use some base coat (color) and follow that with the clear urethane. Like I said, I'm an old paint guy and I still dabble with it from time-to-time so I have plenty of materials laying around.

I hate lacquer (and refuse to use it) for touching up today's finishes. It's faster and if time is a concern it has that advantage, but the finished repair will never look as good as it should. Of course, that's only my opinion and my experience. Others may argue that point.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 2black1s View Post
    I hate lacquer (and refuse to use it) for touching up today's finishes. It's faster and if time is a concern it has that advantage, but the finished repair will never look as good as it should. Of course, that's only my opinion and my experience. Others may argue that point.
    Not arguing at all, it's just that most of us are limited to using dealer or (chain) auto store touchup, or Dr. Colorchip or one of the touch up paint websites, and as far as I know that's all lacquer.

Are you saying that if I go to an autobody store (if I can find one anymore) that I can get one-part urethane clear? Or are you saying you are mixing up real 2K clear for this?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 2black1s View Post

Here's the process I use...
    THANK YOU so much for sharing your knowledge on this point. It never even occurred to me to fill with clear - I've been so obsessed with getting the damage flush before the clear, I never even thought of it.

On the point of letting a bit of paint air dry to thicken it - I considered that, but figured the loss of solvent would harm the paint's ability to adhere, or level, or something... I'm over-thinking this.

I'm envisioning the next thread "what do I use to thin down my touchup paint?"
    Welp, not from me at least.

Post Thanks / Like

Not arguing at all, it's just that most of us are limited to using dealer or (chain) auto store touchup, or Dr. Colorchip or one of the touch up paint websites, and as far as I know that's all lacquer.

Are you saying that if I go to an autobody store (if I can find one anymore) that I can get one-part urethane clear? Or are you saying you are mixing up real 2K clear for this?
    I'm not aware of any single component clear urethanes and if there are any I'm certain that they are not as good as the real thing.

I do mix my 2-part urethane for these repairs using an eye dropper or measuring spoons. You don't need very much.

All this stuff is available at auto paint supply stores or even some body shops.

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting thread gentlemen.

Thanx for the insights...

Bill
    In dog beers, I've only had one.

Post Thanks / Like

None of the auto body supply shops around here will sell small amounts of two-part urethane paint to hobbyists or shade tree guys.
    Francesco

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12