autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: To many curves

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

To many curves

Hi guys! I have a e46 m3 that I am going to do a paint correction on with a dewalt rotary. My problem Is that there are so many curves and no part of the car except the trunk and some of the hood have a flat 2x2 area. If you guys can go look at some pictures of a e46 m3 and see what im talking about. Looking for some pointers.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    I see the curves you are talking about try a smaller pad size or buff those areas out by hand but fyi the paint thats within the curves is thinner than the rest of the paint

Post Thanks / Like

Re: To many curves

I did one of these a little while back E46 Silver Grey BMW M3 - Detailed by Lawrence

Although on a DA I used LC 5.5" pads with good success but agree that 4" pads may be a good option for some of the really tighter areas?

Post Thanks / Like

Too many curves

Hi guys! I have a e46 m3 that I am going to do a paint correction on with a dewalt rotary.
    I’ve had an e46 for just on 15 years and I’d have to say it would be one of the easiest body shapes I’ve ever worked with. I’ve used both rotary and DA polishers on this particular car and I can’t even guess at how many different combinations of polishes and pads etc.

Most modern vehicles have far more complicated shapes and curves than an e46.

From your question, it is reasonable to assume that you are very new to rotary polishing. I’d suggest before you even go near your BMW with a rotary polisher that you learn how to use it on a junk panel.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Ballerbrian4u View Post
    Hi guys! I have a e46 m3 that I am going to do a paint correction on with a dewalt rotary. My problem Is that there are so many curves and no part of the car except the trunk and some of the hood have a flat 2x2 area. If you guys can go look at some pictures of a e46 m3 and see what im talking about. Looking for some pointers.

Thanks!

What year is it?

Have you ever buffed out cars in the past using only rotary buffers?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ballerbrian4u View Post

Thanks!
    Hello Baller,

correct me if I am wrong but it sounds like you are kind of new to paint polishing. If so, using a rotary buffer might not be your best bet. These Tools can be very usefull in the hands of an expérienced professionnal but they can be very dangerous to use in the hands of someone without the proper training.

If you have only limited experience with them, I would avoid using it on a complex car. Might wanna do the work either by hand or using a dual action polisher with a small pad (3" or 4"). Be especially gentle on the raised edges and top parts of curved panels where the paint is thinest.

Can you post a picture of the car?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

It's a 2004. I have quite abit of experience with a rotary. I work at a body shop. I am the main painter and I do all the buffing and polishing. It's just that all the cars we work on are normal cars that's you find at a rent a car. That's why I was looking for some pointers on doing a car with more complex curves.