autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: removing swirls

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

removing swirls

1. Porter Cable 7424 XP Variable Speed Polisher
    2. Meguiars Swirl X remover
    3. MicroFiber Towel

test spot one area and did the 6 passes per Mike , using orange pad on my polisher .

Most of the swirls are gone from the are abut i still see a little around certain area in that test spot .

What to do ? Do the 6 passes again ? Or can i just do that small section ? If i do that small section, do i have to go side to side or up and down ?

i don't want to add more swirls .

Post Thanks / Like

Re: removing swirls

Quote Originally Posted by keeganjacobs View Post
    1. Porter Cable 7424 XP Variable Speed Polisher
    2. Meguiars Swirl X remover
    3. MicroFiber Towel

test spot one area and did the 6 passes per Mike , using orange pad on my polisher .

Most of the swirls are gone from the are abut i still see a little around certain area in that test spot .

What to do ? Do the 6 passes again ? Or can i just do that small section ? If i do that small section, do i have to go side to side or up and down ?

i don't want to add more swirls .
    You can do it again, or you can focus on the areas with the swirls. If you do the small section, do overlapping passes. It doesnt really matter what direction you go. How are you worried about adding more swirls?

Post Thanks / Like

You can try it again with orange or maybe consider trying a polishing pad with SwirlX. You will get less cut but should get a little better gloss.s

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

quick question guys . By removing the swirls, does that mean i have removed clear coat from factory , wax, swirls, and a little bit of paint ?

THen i use Ultimate Polish product , and then Carnouba Wax once i get swirls out.

Does this mean the top layer above the paint is only wax now and no more clear coat on top of the wax ?

Is that good ? What is the advantage of removing the clear coat from factory other than getting the swirls out and how to put the coating back on ?

Post Thanks / Like

quick question guys . By removing the swirls, does that mean i have removed clear coat from factory , wax, swirls, and a little bit of paint ?

THen i use Ultimate Polish product , and then Carnouba Wax once i get swirls out.

Does this mean the top layer above the paint is only wax now and no more clear coat on top of the wax ?

Is that good ? What is the advantage of removing the clear coat from factory other than getting the swirls out and how to put the coating back on ?
    Swirls are defects that are inside the paint. In other words they are scratches that are below the top layer of clear coat and whatever else (wax, sealant, coating) is on top of the clear. Severe scratches and/or swirls may go deeper into the clear coat and require more focused polishing efforts to remove completely. Other even more severe defects may be completely through the clear coat and may be impossible to safely "polish out."

When you are removing swirls from the paint you aren't actually removing the swirls; rather, you are removing the surrounding paint around the swirls to make the paint level again. Once the paint is compounded and polished until it is perfectly level all the defects (swirls) will be gone.

Since removing swirls and other defects involves removing paint it is important to be able to maintain the newly corrected paint carefully so you can lessen the need to polish in the future. Proper wash methods with high quality soap and tools are very important. You may also consider a scratch resistant coating such as C.Quartz or Opti-Coat which actually rebuilds the thickness lost while polishing and cures harder than factory clear, making it easier to maintain your paint over the long run.
    Nicholas Scafidi - CQuartz Finest Authorized Installer
    www.autowerxdetailing.com Auto Detailing in Sherwood, OR
    Like us on Facebook | Follow us on Twitter

Post Thanks / Like

no u are only removing 3% or 5% of the clear coat and thats alrigh
    and that depends on what polish u use

for example if u wet sanded and polished the car u will be removing alot of paint

usually when i polish a car i do 6 to 8 section passes and then if buff only a small piece of the polished area then check with light to see if there still swirls

if there still swirls i keep polishing the area 2 more passes then check again

if still swirls i may go to more powerfull polish and so on

make sure u use a high quality microfiber to not scratch the car again

note that some clearcoats are so hard that u might use ultimate compound just to remove light swirls - not to mention the deep ones

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Can i put back the clear coat before i put on the wax after i remove the swirls or is the clear coat even needed ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Can i put back the clear coat before i put on the wax after i remove the swirls or is the clear coat even needed ?
    Clear coat is simply clear paint. It is applied at the factory after the base color is sprayed. Once you remove the clear coat you would need to repaint the car. That's why it is important to use the least aggressive polishing method to achieve your desired results and remove the least amount of clear as possible.

Hang around the forum for a while and you will have a perfect game plan for what you want to do.

Sent from my LG-VM701 using AG Online
    Nicholas Scafidi - CQuartz Finest Authorized Installer
    www.autowerxdetailing.com Auto Detailing in Sherwood, OR
    Like us on Facebook | Follow us on Twitter