autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Scratches on surface after polishing

I'm new to the forum and new to using a polisher. I purchased a7424xp with the CCS Orange pads and XMTf fine swirl remover #2. I have an 02 black Navigator that has never "to my knowledge" had a polisher on it. It is in great shape, but the paint has spider webbing and typical surface scratches. I watched the DVD that came with the package and a couple on your site. I really felt like I was following pretty well. BUT, here's my problem. I choose a spot on the hood as a start. I washed and clayed it as I have done in the past. However, after going through the steps trying to remove the spider webbing, I now have small white marks, which looks like lint all over the area. I noticed also that i was getting quite a bit of small white pieces coming off the pad after I was almost through with the section. Have I really goofed? I've been wanting to do this stuff for years. I've always been very particular to keep cars clean, but would always pay someone else to to this. I'm attaching pictures to hopefully help you. Thanks!! Craig
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Scratches on surface after polishing-img_4859-jpg   Scratches on surface after polishing-img_4857-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Scratches on surface after polishing

Looks like "Crows feet", search that term for more info. It's a sign of clear coat failure and was most likely present before you polished, but you couldn't see it until the surrounding swirls were removed and then polish residue built up in the defects. Try wiping with IPA to remove the residue, unfortunately it's a total PITA. Rest assured that you did not make a mistake, the paint was already in this condition.

Post Thanks / Like

Yup, looks like clear coat failure ... like Mike says, when you polish the paint you magnify any other defects and they stick out like a sore thumb.

edit: here is a picture of some clear failure on my car, you can just catch a nail on it.

Post Thanks / Like

Those are not scratches. Those are actual cracks in the paint which is clear coat failure. My mom's 2003 Honda Civic has the same condition magnified 5 times. I just haven't been able to save her........

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah clear coat failure for sure. I recently did an old TL and I had the same problem after polishing it. Scared the crap out of me I thought I messed up that person car. My client car was a lot worse then yours.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by GACraig View Post

I'm new to the forum and new to using a polisher.
    Since this is your first post...

Welcome to Autogeek Online!

Quote Originally Posted by GACraig View Post
    However, after going through the steps trying to remove the spider webbing, I now have small white marks, which looks like lint all over the area.
    Here's one of your pictures...

As already mentioned, thee look like cracks in the clear coat and then when polish lodges in them they show up like a sore thumb.

So you only see this on the hood?

Also, the above picture is now in your gallery here on AGO

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, did a friends truck, same thing, so looked closely at a different spot I hadn't worked yet, and could see the marks, then like they have all said, they stick out like a sore thumb after polishin.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Mike! I have only found them on the hood and top of front fender beside the hood because when I saw it, I was afraid I had messed up and would not go any further. Wiping with IPA did not help. Any other suggestions? Didn't expect to have to deal with this. Kind of burst my bubble.