autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Water sheeting

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Water sheeting

I'm new at this so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong but, I can see that water will sheet if using a hose but when it rains, wont the water not have the tendency to sheet ( but bead) because it's falling on the paint at a slower rate & there's not enough weight in a drop of water to run-off?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker View Post
    I'm new at this so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong but, I can see that water will sheet if using a hose but when it rains, wont the water not have the tendency to sheet ( but bead) because it's falling on the paint at a slower rate & there's not enough weight in a drop of water to run-off?
    Well I think that the cause of the beading is the chemical composition of the product that is used on the vehicle. The reason water beads is because it does not adhere well to the wax on the surface of the car, and thus it adheres stronger to itself than to the wax. This causes the water to form a spherical shape...a spherical shape produces the least amount of contact of the water with the vehicle and the greatest amount of contact of the water molecules with each other.

It's not so much about weight of the water, but the speed of the water that causes it to slide over a vehicle when sprayed from a hose.

Anyway, point is that it all has to do with the chemical properties of the products that are put on the vehicle which modifies the surface tension between the water and the vehicle. There are likely some well known chemicals that can be added to the composition to change the surface tension.

Post Thanks / Like

To clarify, in my own opinion and experience it isn't a matter of a wax having only the characteristic of sheeting or only beading.

Personally, when looking for a products ability to "sheet water" I simply look for the speed that it sheets and that it does not leave tiny drops of water behind, leaving the cars surface absolutely dry. Of course it will bead in the rain, and I do like the way beading looks. I just want the water to run off the surface as easily and fast as possible. A great trait for final rise, blow drying and rainy Seattle weather. If the beads run off the surface they can't leave a water spot, plus it takes light dust with it. Like driving in the rain after a fresh waxing with a "good sheeting wax", if it stops raining before I get home, when I pull into the garage my car's paint will be nearly dry (and pretty clean) save right behind the wheels and the face of the trunk, that's what I want...

A hydrophobic-like surface that repels water to whatever level possible, sheeting with a smooth flow of water is simply the best way to test for these desirable traits. Autoglym HD is just a readily available OTC product that I found to have good sheeting, I don't want to take away from AG's business.

Just my two cents.
    Last edited by A4 1.8tqm; 07-27-2010 at 05:35 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, the flat hood on my 2013 black F150 does not appreciate beading water. I guess I'm in the minority that would like a quality sheeting product.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12