autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Use pad or product to determine cut and aggressiveness?

Okay so my question is.

Would it be less aggressive to use megs 205 on a orange pad, or 105 white pad? On this line of thought, why even have cut in the pad, can you use say a 105 and use LC grey/black pad to correct? I guess I am having a hard time understanding whether you should be using the pad or the product to correct and how much. Would you ever do a megs 105 on a grey or white lc pad?

Thanks!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Use pad or product to determine cut and aggressiveness?

i would say use 205 on an orange pad. Simply because if you used 105 on a black pad, you would still use 205 to finish. You'd end up saving the 40 bucks or so on the 105.

Post Thanks / Like

I already own 105, 205, and Men 85rd. I am trying to figure out why everybody automatically goes to 105 with orange. Why not 105 with a pad with no cut since it does not diminish?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by estcstm3 View Post
    I already own 105, 205, and Men 85rd. I am trying to figure out why everybody automatically goes to 105 with orange. Why not 105 with a pad with no cut since it does not diminish?
    Speed, time, and cost IMO. Trying to correct paint with 105 and say a black pad would take ages if the paint is swirled up. Yes the 105/205 use SMAT so they will keep cutting but they do dry out (105) so you would then have to apply more product to keep cutting. Some cars take 2 or 3 passes with 105/orange to get swirls out, I cant imagine how many passes it would take with a black pad. Then you would have to follow it up with 205 so you would spend way more time polishing than necessary to achieve the same results if you could even attain the same results using 105/black as with 105/orange

Jon
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"
    Jon Leidgen

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PAR Detailing View Post
    Speed, time, and cost IMO. Trying to correct paint with 105 and say a black pad would take ages if the paint is swirled up. Yes the 105/205 use SMAT so they will keep cutting but they do dry out (105) so you would then have to apply more product to keep cutting. Some cars take 2 or 3 passes with 105/orange to get swirls out, I cant imagine how many passes it would take with a black pad. Then you would have to follow it up with 205 so you would spend way more time polishing than necessary to achieve the same results if you could even attain the same results using 105/black as with 105/orange

Jon

that makes sense, thanks.

Do you have an opinion on whether 105 on white is more aggressive than say 205 on orange?

Mike Phillips

that makes sense, thanks.

Do you have an opinion on whether 105 on white is more aggressive than say 205 on orange?
    M105 will be more aggressive than M205 on any pad.

M105 is very aggressive and M205 is very non-aggressive. Don't have time to post a long reply as Matt and I are sanding down a 1956 Chevy today but check these articles out...

The SMAT Pack - Everything you ever wanted to know about Meguiar's SMAT products...
    The Aggressiveness Order of SMAT Products - This might surprise you!

Post Thanks / Like

I guess I am having a hard time understanding whether you should be using the pad or the product to correct and how much.
    In general I figure the polish is doing the work. The pad choice is to supplement or fine tune the amount of cut you get with the polish.