autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question micro-marring from washing a car

Hi Mike, I have what I think is micro marring or helos. I will try to attach a couple of photos. I have been using a lambs wool pad to wash with. Could this have caused this condition or did the folks that buffed and polished for me create this? How can I correct it?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Question micro-marring from washing a car-marring-jpg  
    Lonnie Louviere
    08 Zephyr QSZ
    08 CRV toad

Mike Phillips

Re: Question micro-marring from washing a car

Hi Lonnie,

I moved your post out of the thread you posted it to and created for you you're own thread as that's actually a better way to get information.

Hang on while I make it so everyone can see your picture the easy way...

Mike Phillips

Here's your picture...

and for everyone reading this into the future, here's how I got his picture in full sizes into this thread instead of a tiny thumbnail you have to click on and then leave the thread to see...

How-to work with pictures on discussion forums

As for the scratches or marring you see in the upper dark area of your Motorhome... that looks like rotary buffer swirls to me. Maybe not but that's what it looks like because they are very defined lines going from side to side and if anyone ever buffed your paint with a rotary buffer and just one-stepped it then that's what swirls would look like.

I could tell more accurately if you can get a better shot of the swirls by themselves...

Mike Phillips

From this article,
    Tracers Tracers - RIDS - Pigtails - Cobweb Swirls - Rotary Buffer Swirls - Holograms - Water Spots - Bird Drooping Etchings - Micro-Marring

Here's some pictures that show what rotary buffer swirls look like, do the swirls or marring you see look anything like these pictures? The direction doesn't have to be identical, but do you see a defined pattern in the swirls?

Rotary Buffer Swirls also called Holograms or Buffer Trails

Cropped out section focusing on the Zig-Zag pattern of Buffer Swirls

More holograms, also called rotary buffer swirls or rotary buffer trails

Mike Phillips

Here's another picture of rotary buffer swirls... in an SS Convertible Chevelle... kind of makes you want to cry...

The lines you see are inflicted into the paint in the direction the buffer is moved over the paint by the pad and products

Photo by Joe Fernandez

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Mike, I'll go to the coach and get the shot at the end of the week. Thanks for your help. They were "working" on swirls and "buffed it out the they "finished" with a glaze. It did not look as bad at first. It may be coincidense but I noticed them after a couple of washing. Lonnie
    Lonnie Louviere
    08 Zephyr QSZ
    08 CRV toad

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by LouviereLJ View Post
    Thanks Mike, I'll go to the coach and get the shot at the end of the week. Thanks for your help. They were "working" on swirls and "buffed it out the they "finished" with a glaze. It did not look as bad at first. It may be coincidence but I noticed them after a couple of washing. Lonnie
    This is a typical "Horror Story"

The buffed the paint using a rotary buffer and then for their last step machine buffed what's called a glaze which is usually used to fill or mask the swirls.

Most glazes are water soluble, at least the ones in the body shop lines, and they will easily wash off with soap and water revealing the swirls.

Just to note,

Anytime this happens you usually cannot get it fixed by the same people. If they couldn't do the job right the first time, this is an indicator they don't posses the knowledge, skills or tools to do it right the second time.

Buffing like this removes good paint and undoing the damage removes good paint... the problem is you only have so much paint of film-build to work with, so be very wary about letting them "touch" your motorhome again.

Post Thanks / Like

I see what you mean Mike. Yes it would make for a lot of frustration. How did they remedy the situations. Lonnie
    Lonnie Louviere
    08 Zephyr QSZ
    08 CRV toad

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by LouviereLJ View Post
    I see what you mean Mike. Yes it would make for a lot of frustration. How did they remedy the situations. Lonnie

The paint in the affected areas needs to be machine polished again only this time by someone that knows what they're doing and will use the right tools and products for the job.

A seasoned Pro could fix it with just about any electric polisher and the right pad and product combination.

You could fix it yourself but the problem is getting up that high and working safely, you really need some kind of scaffolding or something like this to work that high safely.

Super Member Joe@Superior Shine's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Here is a scaffold I purchased for about $200. You can rent one from a tool / equipment rental business for a few bucks a day.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast