autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Help with finishing Polish!!

Quote Originally Posted by zinc02gt View Post
    The lovely GM clearcoat. SIP is Menzerna Super Intensive Polish.

How many IPA wipedowns did you do and did you use 91%?

Do about 2, 91% IPA wipedowns. Go over it with 205 one more time with a white pad. Do an IPA wipedown. If there are still swirls and you don't see much change, you'll have to go back to scratch x steps and then repeat all steps. If there are still swirls after that, get a better polish.
    I think the ScratchX 2.0 did its job, it's just that the Menzerna 85rd either left some of its own marring behind or it didn't entirely clean up the ScratchX 2.0-induced marring.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm certainly no profesional, so you probably want to wait for more advice. Just from reading what you describe, and not seeing any pictures, it sounds like the jump from scratch-x to 85rd was too big of a jump. I would imagine the scratches left after you worked the 85rd where left over scratches that the 85rd couldn't remove. Assuming proper polishing techniques were used, I can't imagine the 85rd removing the scratch-x marks, then creating some new ones...

I would:
    m205 with a white pad
    IPA
    Menz 85rd with a gray pad
    IPA

Then see what you're left with...

This is where the test spot is nice, because you don't need to experiment with different processes on the whole car; just to find out they don't yeald the results you want.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CTS-Veo View Post
    I'm certainly no profesional, so you probably want to wait for more advice. Just from reading what you describe, and not seeing any pictures, it sounds like the jump from scratch-x to 85rd was too big of a jump. I would imagine the scratches left after you worked the 85rd where left over scratches that the 85rd couldn't remove. Assuming proper polishing techniques were used, I can't imagine the 85rd removing the scratch-x marks, then creating some new ones...

I would:
    m205 with a white pad
    IPA
    Menz 85rd with a gray pad
    IPA

Then see what you're left with...

This is where the test spot is nice, because you don't need to experiment with different processes on the whole car; just to find out they don't yeald the results you want.
    This is pretty much my plan........except I'll start least aggressive and do a test spot with 85rd on a gray pad first. If that doesn't do the job, then I'll go to 205 on a white pad.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12