autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Preparing a car for a concour d'elegance competition

Hello Mike,

I have to work on a car to prepare it for a concour d'elegance in 2 weeks.

I have never done that before so I would like some tips on things to look for, and advice on how to go about the detail.

The client told me the paint on this 1985 Alpha Romeo was in great shape (I hope it's true, something people just don't know how to evaluate paint). And he wanted it waxed. I explained to him that shine is a matter of paint perfection and it would at least need some polishing before applying a wax.

He mentionned he had plastic in the bottom of the car he did not want wax on because they are mate and he wanted them to remain that way (fair enough).

Here is what the car should look like : http://13252-presscdn-0-94.pagely.ne...6-Sale-310.jpg

So. Here is my plan:

1. Wash (snow foam, 2 bucket wash, drying)
    2. Chemical decontamination (Iron X) and Tar-x if needed
    3. Physical decontamination (nanoskin fine sponge). Should I use a clay bar instead?
    4. Light polishing unless the paint is damaged. I am thinking finishing pad with M205. Is that something appropriate for what this client needs? If the paint is damaged, I will have to talk to him and see what he wants to do, so I am assuming no swirl marks or scratches right now. Just want to remove any LSP that might be in place and any oxydation to make the paint pop.
    5. Car Pro reload as a Sealant (in my arsenal this is the product that seems to give the best shine)

Should I top with a carnauba finishing wax? I never use wax but all my clients have daily drivers, this will be my first show car.

Anything I should avoid doing, or anything I should pay more attention to than usual?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Preparing a car for a concour d'elegance competition

Quote Originally Posted by Calendyr View Post

I have to work on a car to prepare it for a concour d'elegance in 2 weeks.

I will have to talk to him and see what he wants to do
    I'm not Mike but I've got 2 comments.

1st of all, if that car is going to a Concour d'elegance, there should be no talk needed... It's going to Concour d'elegance and that means everything that can be done to take it to the top level will be done. No holds barred, no corners cut. Go all out and charge accordingly. If ever in doubt, just keep a straight face and remind him of "Concour d'elegance"! Lol.

#2. The dudes at Concour d'elegance are "matte guys" That means you need to dress those tires accordingly. I recommend Meguiars M40. It's matte guy approved.

Post Thanks / Like

can you use a wax over carpro reloaded?

Post Thanks / Like

IMHO

Need to be period correct. That means wax, not reload.

Post Thanks / Like

Wheel wells need to be spotless, exposed frame/suspension as well. Clean the inside of the tires and tread as well. Knock down any dressing on the tires, wheel wells, and suspension. As Eldo said, keep it "matte".

I also agree with Ron, use a wax. Perfect time to use Pinnacle Souveran. If you don't have any, order some and charge the client. Let him keep the remaining Souveran.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

My only comment is "Good Luck" and as Eldorado2K said. No holds barred.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

One other really awesome use I've found for spray wax/sealant (Meguiar's D156) is "waxing" door jambs, under hood paint, trunk etc.

Post Thanks / Like

And a pristine engine and bay as well. Concours d'Elegance is very discerning and includes a perfect interior and every visible piece and part.

Post Thanks / Like

Preparing a car for a concour d'elegance competition

The first thing to do is get a copy of the score sheet and the judging manual if possible.

If this is an alpha specific concours, your criteria are likely to be far more stringent. And if it's alpha specific, find out if you can have a discussion with the head judge or the class judges that will evaluate the car. If he really wants an award, ask if the judge can take some time and review the vehicle weeks prior to the event to point out items that are not correct.

Understand that concours is not about the best detail, it's about the most factory correct. Example: when i did a Shelby gt500, I cleaned the engine bay completely, taking care not to remove any of the markings on parts and hoses, but also had to go back and apply oil to all the black phosphate bolts, because that's how they would look from the factory. I also had to leave some adhesive residue in a few areas because that's what it 'should' look like. These are the kinds of things a judging manual may establish, or may only be discovered by talking with the judge. These are obviously extreme examples that may not come into play if the judges don't truly know the car.

Also, clean the tool kit.
    Static & Mobile detailing in Minneapolis & St. Paul. http://www.detailedcreationsmpls.com/

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Good luck. I'll be there as a spectator.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast