autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Question on Wolfgang compound/polish line up

I used to use the Poorboys SSR line up and now I bought some Wolfgang to try out this year. I bought the Glaze, Total Swirl and Uber compound. I was told by Poorboys that their SSR line up will finish out from say a medium to a fine all by itself. Does the WG line up do that? Or do I always have to follow up with the Glaze? I bought the Glaze so if I wanted to just hit the car with a LIGHT polish, I could.

Also, the Glaze polish... Does it remove a decent amount of clear coat, or should I get a chemical polish to remove LSPs etc when needed? I THINK I seen something a while back from you stating that if you use a fine polish, it removes almost NO clear coat and you'll get better results using a Glaze vs chemical cleaner ( appearance wise )

If Im out of line, sorry.. Hence the post here, to learn whats true.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Question on Wolfgang compound/polish line up

I will yield to Mike as you addressed your question to him however I have been through all of the Wolfgang products and can comment on the glaze from my experience.

I have used the WG Glaze as a final polish and it does contain super fine abrasives. I have gone from WG Uber compound directly to Glaze and was amazed by the results.

Uber will take a test spot for you. Evaluate what it looks like after using it on a spot then do that spot with glaze and see if you notice a difference. Better yet, do 2 test spots...one with just Uber then another next to it with Uber and then Glaze. Which one looks better?

As far as "just removing an LSP", Glaze will do that and because of the super fine abrasives I was never worried about removing too much clearcoat paint. I wouldn't use it with an aggressive cutting pad. Super fine abrasive particles on a fine finishing pad worked slowly and with a light touch on the final passes and BAM!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Paul A. View Post
    I will yield to Mike as you addressed your question to him however I have been through all of the Wolfgang products and can comment on the glaze from my experience.

I have used the WG Glaze as a final polish and it does contain super fine abrasives. I have gone from WG Uber compound directly to Glaze and was amazed by the results.
    I believe Mike has said that the term "glaze" is a bit of a misnomer in this case and the product is not a glaze in the sense of say Meguiar's #7 but is a fine polish.

Post Thanks / Like

Absolutely agree, Setec, from personal experience. There is an ever slight cut with WG Glaze. Key word slight.

Post Thanks / Like

So use a black or blue LC flat pad with the glaze and white or orange with the Uber or total swirl?

Mike Phillips

Just now found and read your PM on this... sorry for the delay...

Quote Originally Posted by MrOneEyedBoh View Post

I used to use the Poorboys SSR line up and now I bought some Wolfgang to try out this year.

I bought the Glaze, Total Swirl and Uber compound.

I was told by Poorboys that their SSR line up will finish out from say a medium to a fine all by itself.

Does the WG line up do that? Or do I always have to follow up with the Glaze? I bought the Glaze so if I wanted to just hit the car with a LIGHT polish, I could.

Also, the Glaze polish... Does it remove a decent amount of clear coat, or should I get a chemical polish to remove LSPs etc when needed?

I THINK I seen something a while back from you stating that if you use a fine polish, it removes almost NO clear coat and you'll get better results using a Glaze vs chemical cleaner ( appearance wise )

If Im out of line, sorry.. Hence the post here, to learn whats true.

Instead of mutli-quoting you question by question, here's the skinny....

ALL of these products use GREAT abrasive technology.

Uber Compound - GREAT

Swirl Remover = GREAT

Finishing Glaze = GREAT

The compound can finish down LSP ready. As a practice, I tell people if they use an aggressive compound and cutting pad that even if the results look great there's a GREAT chance there's micro-marring left behind that you just cannot see.

So follow aggressive steps with less aggressive steps and do pro level work.

The Total Swirl Remover will finish down LSP read with the exception that if you use with an aggressive cutting pad then your back to following this step with a less aggressive product in case the PAD left micro-marring.

Now here's the last thing....

The Wolfgang Finishing Glaze is NOT a GLAZE

The problem with our industry is there's no rules or regulations for naming products so companies name their products however they want to and this cause confusion.

I cannot count how many times I've made a post like this about the Wolfgang Finishing Glaze not being a glaze.

It's a FINE CUT POLISH

So treat it like a fine cut polish.

And even though it's a fine cut polish it has enough cut to remove fine or shallow swirls and it will obliterate ANY residual layer of wax, synthetic sealant and probably most paint coatings.

Hope that helps...

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Mike . I use LC flat pads, the white pad would be considered a good pad to use that isn't aggressive , correct? And that white pad would be able to take a polish or an above WG compound right into LSP ready , wouldn't it?