autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Detailing a beater! - 1972 Buick Riviera Boattail - Review: Lake Country Force Hybrid Foam Pads

Mike, can I ask why no #7 soak on this SS paint first? Why right to a polish?
    "Dirt likes detergent so much better than the surface that it's attached to, it'll leave that surface to go hang out with the soap"...aim4squirrels

Mike Phillips

Re: Detailing a beater! - 1972 Buick Riviera Boattail - Review: Lake Country Force Hybrid Foam Pads

Quote Originally Posted by david b View Post

Great work as always. So the LC Force Hybrid pads have replaced the older Hybrid pads that work so well on the Flex 3401?

David

I "think" that may be the plan but to be honest, I don't know for sure.

The original hybrid pads are good pads.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by dcjredline View Post

Mike, can I ask why no #7 soak on this SS paint first? Why right to a polish?

I need to write an article about your question as it comes up a lot.

The #7 soak is for antique single stage paint that is chalky with oxidation. This paint came in dirty but under the dirt there was still some shine.

The normal protocol would be to apply the #7 AFTER any compounding and polishing and before the wax for paint that is already shiny. You'll see this when I post the write-up for the 1957 Oldsmobile as this was the procedure I used on it.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Mike, for the write up and the follow-up answers to some great questions.

Nice job on this one, too.

Post Thanks / Like

Catchy sub title! I like it.
    "Detailing a Boattail Beater"

Nicely done Mike.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by JustJesus View Post
    Thank you Mike, for the write up and the follow-up answers to some great questions.

Nice job on this one, too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike@DedicatedPerfection View Post
    Catchy sub title! I like it.
    "Detailing a Boattail Beater"

Nicely done Mike.
    Thanks guys... that's what I call a

Mike Phillips "Quicky Job"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Thanks guys... that's what I call a

Mike Phillips "Quicky Job"

Been there, and done that Mike, in the olden days, when I was 16-17, and cleaning up the "Kahuna's Car". (head gangster of the hood)

The quick waxjob usually turned out to be 6-8 hellish sweat filled hours before I gave the car back. (I didn't want to find myself in the trunk!)

One day, he handed me the keys, a brand new Salmon Metallic Caddy, (which his wife later carved up with a knife and scrolled her name on the hood, "KIKA")

He said, "Check the Oil, Tires, Battery, Transmission Fluid, Washer Fluid, Spare Tire, Radiator, etc", and I asked him as he handed me the keys......

"You want me to rebuild the engine too?" And he said "No. just the Transmission"! LOL (True story)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    I need to write an article about your question as it comes up a lot.

The #7 soak is for antique single stage paint that is chalky with oxidation. This paint came in dirty but under the dirt there was still some shine.

The normal protocol would be to apply the #7 AFTER any compounding and polishing and before the wax for paint that is already shiny. You'll see this when I post the write-up for the 1957 Oldsmobile as this was the procedure I used on it.

Oh, awesome! Thank you.
    "Dirt likes detergent so much better than the surface that it's attached to, it'll leave that surface to go hang out with the soap"...aim4squirrels

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD51 View Post

He said, "Check the Oil, Tires, Battery, Transmission Fluid, Washer Fluid, Spare Tire, Radiator, etc", and I asked him as he handed me the keys......

"You want me to rebuild the engine too?" And he said "No. just the Transmission"! LOL (True story)

That's funny... thanks for sharing...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234