autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: “Be sure to drink your Ovaltine” by GeekGWCT

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    Do you also get butthurt when you're the 4th customer in line and they don't open another checkstand just for you? Lol.

...When you've contributed as much time and knowledge to the world of detailing as Mike Phillips has, the least we can do is have the common courtesy to let the man take a break from the never ending barrage of questions he gets from everyone.
    I think your analogy is a little off. It is more like...
    1. There is a line with a sign that reads "Ask The Situation for an Autograph"
    2. Although I never previously considered getting an autograph from The Situation, I get in line.
    3. While in line, it becomes obvious that people in the line don't get autographs
    4. Eldorado2k tells me "When you've contributed as much time and knowledge to the world of ab enhancement as The Situation has, the least we can do is have the common courtesy to let the man take a break from the never ending barrage of autograph requests he gets from everyone".
    5.If Eldorado2k wanted to give The Situation a break from the never ending barrage of autograph requests, I wonder if something could be done? Maybe... and I am going out on a limb here... maybe it has something to do with the sign.

Quote Originally Posted by custmsprty View Post
    Some people have way too much time on their hands.
    Fair point. However, your argument would be stronger if you didn't have over 5,000 more posts than me Pot meet kettle.

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX650 View Post
    •IMHO:
    "to which they think they are always entitled."
    Getting warmer but I wouldn't say "entitled". To me that implies "owed". There are people that owe me. None of them are on this forum.
    As an aside, I think I found my concourse level detailer.

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX650 View Post
    •IMHO:
    -As such: Mr. Phillips is being accused (not so subtly) of not being "attentive enough" to certain individual AGO forum members.
    Not the way I would put it. I believe Mr. Phillips should be attentive to whatever he wants (or is paid) to be attentive to. However, I don't believe it is in his best interest, Autogeek's best interest or my best interest to represent this forum as something it is not.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Fair point on complication of my question on the other thread. However, that thread is just one data point. There are many other unanswered questions submitted by other people.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, but you're not going to get anywhere by trying to win this argument.. Would it really make you happy to get your question answered after having gone about it this way?

You're a new guy with 20 or so posts, it's not as if you're a known contributor to this forum [I'm not saying that even matters, because I really couldn't care less about that] All I'm saying is don't you think it would've been better to ask again, in a more polite way? Isn't it always better to make friendly vs. trying to prove a point?

You've made your point. It's your choice if you want to drop it and be chill.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GeekGWCT View Post
    Fair point on complication of my question on the other thread. However, that thread is just one data point. There are many other unanswered questions submitted by other people.
    I guess in a perfect world, there would be a team of ghost-writers to answer every question posted to Mike's sub-forum. But in this real world that we live in, Mike started that sub-forum...I dunno...6 or 7 years ago, maybe longer. Back then he wasn't on a TV show, he didn't teach as many classes, the classes weren't as long, there wasn't an IDA and he wasn't on the board, etc., and he probably had more time to devote to answering forum questions. Maybe the sub-forum should now be "ask the Autogeek expert", but that's not my call.

As Eldo said, you've made your point, now it's your choice if you want to do what you came here for, which is to learn about detailing and product selection, or whether you want to continue to harp on something that's really not germane to accomplishing that.

Post Thanks / Like

This would hold more water if Mike was the end all be all of detailing.

I am sorry to tell you this but he is ONE guy. If the whole detailing industry revolved around one guy we all would be in trouble for many reasons. There are a lot of very knowledgeable people on this site .. each with a different point of view and experience, some more than others.

Getting a collective of information from several is better than from only one.

So if your argument is that you are disappointed because you didnt or others have not gotten an answer from one guy due to the forum title, then you are missing out on a much greater sea of knowledge and missing the obvious point of the forum, regardless of the title.

While also in the process making everyone here aware of that fact.

Post Thanks / Like

Guys just stop reacting. He'll just keep throwing out chum just like the other thread and it'll end up being 5 pages of nonsense. Everyone is different and some people just can't be happy

Post Thanks / Like

Mike virtually runs autogeek.He is so busy but human the guy starts his day at 6:30 am and deosnt leave till 7pm.Then he works at home.Autogeek is nothing without him.He will eventually answer your questions.

Mike Phillips

Meanwhile back at the ranch...

I worked all week, (like all of you), most days getting here early and working late, there's always more work to do than time to do it but I don't mind as I like my work.

I don't have the time to multi-quote GeekGWCT, the thread starter and address all his points one by one so I'll just share this and I hope it addresses his concerns...

When you joined this forum and started your first thread, this one,

Show car shine vs paint protection film?

I have to admit, I didn't see or it didn't catch my attention. This thread was posted on April 3rd, 2017 at 2:17pm and on that day I came in early to wash the 1957 Oldsmobile Fiesta Wagon.

SONAX Fallout Remover - How to chemically decontaminate paint before restoring a show car finish by Mike Phillips

Took pictures of that project plus,

Metro-Vac Vac-n-Blow
    Jay Leno Glass Cleaner
    Jay Leno Quick Detailer
    Jay Leno wax
    New product testing

And then processed the pictures taken for the Fiesta and created the above thread. Working with pictures and writing an article is time consuming but the good news is when done correctly it endures over time and helps detailing enthusasts looking for how-to information or product information and this is one of my job responsibilities here at Autogeek i.e. education.

Besides the above I did answer quite a few questions on the forum, facebook and via pms and e-mails, even a few tech questions over the phone. (I write a daily report document accomplishments each day).

So while I do try my best to check on the forum, answer questions and help where I can I can't get to every question, post or thread made each day, I just have too many other tasks that take priority. Normally, if someone specifically wants my input on a thread they've created and they don't see me answering what they do is send me a PM to make me aware of the thread and when I read my PM's I will stop what I'm doing and chime in on the thread.

So while I do try to work on the forum as much as I can it's impossible to get to everything 100% of the time.

I will go chime in on GeekGWCT's thread I do have some comments about PPF and gloss that I'd like to share.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by RMarkJr View Post
    This would hold more water if Mike was the end all be all of detailing.

I am sorry to tell you this but he is ONE guy. If the whole detailing industry revolved around one guy we all would be in trouble for many reasons. There are a lot of very knowledgeable people on this site .. each with a different point of view and experience, some more than others.

Getting a collective of information from several is better than from only one.

So if your argument is that you are disappointed because you didnt or others have not gotten an answer from one guy due to the forum title, then you are missing out on a much greater sea of knowledge and missing the obvious point of the forum, regardless of the title.

While also in the process making everyone here aware of that fact.

Well said.

I always say I'm a

Perpetual Student

There's no way anyone can ever be an expert at anything in this day and age as there's simply too much new technology being created and introduced to the market at such a high rate of speed. In fact, the ONLY way to even come close to staying up with the volume of information and technology being introduced is to be a part of a forum like this and read it every day. That's why I wrote this article,

Detailers that hang out on discussion forums know more than detailers that don't...

Every week, and almost every day, someone send me a car detailing question via e-mail. Sometime I'll simply answer it. If a proper job of answering a question is going to take time then I'll bring the person's question to the forum and answer it here.

Why?

Because via the forum I can answer a question or qeustoins and EASILY include pictures, links to more information and videos. With e-mail it's a crap shoot if everything I include or insert into the reply will actually end up getting through or being properly displayed in the person's email client.

I know if I answer them here not only will the information be presented correctly BUT OTHERS CAN CHIME IN and the person asking for help will get the collective wisdom of a LOT of really nice and experienced forum members and that's a win/win deal for everyone.

So to your point Mark, I completely agree. I like to help others by sharing what I know but there are a LOT of really smart guys with a LOT of experience on this forum that to the benefit of all are willing to share with others and that's what makes this forum so powerful.

Post Thanks / Like

Mike has always gotten back to my emails and one time actually called me and apologized personally in a voicemail regarding me getting banned accidentally by him. He is a stand up guy and has earned his respect in the industry from experience, hard work, and passion.

If you do not like the way the forum is, or the way Mike conducts himself, move along to another one instead of attempting to create drama.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast