autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mike Phillips

Re: Mike's cool detailing cart - brand name?

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post

YOU detail cars, Mike?

Here's a behind the scenes story....

Once I was called into a meeting at Meguiar's and the topic of the meeting was why I was detailing cars and then sharing the process, products and tools I used for the detail job? Management didn't like detailing cars and sharing it on the MOL forum.

When give the opportunity to explain I answered with a question.

Do you really want the guy that is answering questions on how to do car detailing using your products to not actually do the thing he's answering questions about?

That ended the meeting.

The entire reason the MeguiarsOnline discussion forum was started was because I printed out in color the write-up I posted to my own forum on TheArtofPolishingPaint.com and placed it in the in-basket of the Vice President of Meguiar's, at the time, Atticus Firery. About a month later while I was walking down the hall at Meguiar's Atticus came up to me, placed his arm around me, handed me my write-up and said,

I love this! But how come you're always posting this stuff on your forum?

I then said, because Meguiar's doesn't have a forum.

He then said, make it happen.

And on January 31st, 2004 the MeguiarsOnline.com discussion forum went live. The first post on that forum is post #5 and it's for a write-up I did for the Mini Cooper Club for which I taught a detailing class for. Posts 1, 2, 3 and 4 I deleted because they said,

Test

Here's another story that involved Joe Fernedez aka Superior Shine.

One day Joe shared with me that when he saw that Meguiar's had brought up a car detailing discussion forum, (that was what I did), he checked it out. He told me he assumed the person in charge was some desk jockey and figured it was a waste of this time. When he found out the guy answering questions and writing articles was actually a detailer, he joined up, started posting and hung out on the forum".

I have to admit... I would have a hard time respecting someone telling others how to do something if the person didn't actually do the thing he was presenting himself as an expert at.

There's something to be said for authenticity. That is being the real deal.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for sharing that, Mike.

You have indeed helped me tremendously with this forum, and the books I have (and reference often) that you have written.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Here's a behind the scenes story....

Once I was called into a meeting at Meguiar's and the topic of the meeting was why I was detailing cars and then sharing the process, products and tools I used for the detail job? Management didn't like detailing cars and sharing it on the MOL forum.

When give the opportunity to explain I answered with a question.

Do you really want the guy that is answering questions on how to do car detailing using your products to not actually do the thing he's answering questions about?

That ended the meeting.

The entire reason the MeguiarsOnline discussion forum was started was because I printed out in color the write-up I posted to my own forum on TheArtofPolishingPaint.com and placed it in the in-basket of the Vice President of Meguiar's, at the time, Atticus Firery. About a month later while I was walking down the hall at Meguiar's Atticus came up to me, placed his arm around me, handed me my write-up and said,

I love this! But how come you're always posting this stuff on your forum?

I then said, because Meguiar's doesn't have a forum.

He then said, make it happen.

And on January 31st, 2004 the MeguiarsOnline.com discussion forum went live. The first post on that forum is post #5 and it's for a write-up I did for the Mini Cooper Club for which I taught a detailing class for. Posts 1, 2, 3 and 4 I deleted because they said,

Test

Here's another story that involved Joe Fernedez aka Superior Shine.

One day Joe shared with me that when he saw that Meguiar's had brought up a car detailing discussion forum, (that was what I did), he checked it out. He told me he assumed the person in charge was some desk jockey and figured it was a waste of this time. When he found out the guy answering questions and writing articles was actually a detailer, he joined up, started posting and hung out on the forum".

I have to admit... I would have a hard time respecting someone telling others how to do something if the person didn't actually do the thing he was presenting himself as an expert at.

There's something to be said for authenticity. That is being the real deal.

Thanks for sharing this story Mike. Brings back memories... I started reading MOL around May of 2004 and officially joined August of 2004. I loved all your articles back then especially pictures showing before and afters. My original S/N back then was "Bri" but I doubt you'll remember that Mike. Hehehe! (Had it switched to Marc08EX in 2008 to match my AGO S/N) The good old G100/W8006/W9006/M83/M82/M81/M80 days.
    2011 SEMA Meguiar's Car Crazy Showcase Team
    2016 Competition Ready Barn Find Porsche Team

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post

Thanks for sharing that, Mike.

You have indeed helped me tremendously with this forum, and the books I have (and reference often) that you have written.
    Thank you for the kind words...

Quote Originally Posted by Marc08EX View Post

Thanks for sharing this story Mike. Brings back memories...

I started reading MOL around May of 2004 and officially joined August of 2004.
    That makes you one of the original forum members...

I loved all your articles back then especially pictures showing before and afters.
    A picture tells a thousand words...

My original S/N back then was "Bri" but I doubt you'll remember that Mike. Hehehe!
    Nope I remember.

(Had it switched to Marc08EX in 2008 to match my AGO S/N) The good old G100/W8006/W9006/M83/M82/M81/M80 days.

The old 80's series... back then these were the best on the market. Times have changed and for the better.

People getting into detailing today are so lucky... Now days it doesn't require a lot of technique to get professional quality results and that's due a huge part in the topic I'm always harping on and that's abrasive technology.

But back in the first part of 2000 M80, M81, M82, M83, M84 and M85 was as good as a person could get.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    People getting into detailing today are so lucky... Now days it doesn't require a lot of technique to get professional quality results and that's due a huge part in the topic I'm always harping on and that's abrasive technology.

But back in the first part of 2000 M80, M81, M82, M83, M84 and M85 was as good as a person could get.

OMG! This is exactly what I've been telling everyone I talk to especially guys who are new to detailing! That people getting into detailing at this time are so lucky with the products available to them. Things have evolved so much and there are so many good product choices to make detailing and defect removal easy! From polishers such as the long throw (Rupes/Griot's Boss) to the forced rotation Flex 3401 to pads (microfiber pads) to abrasive technology as you mentioned (Griot's Boss, Meg's D300/M101/M105, Blackfire SRC, Sonax, McKee's, etc). Heck, even a finishing polish like M205 paired with the microfiber pads can remove some serious defects!

Even removing wetsanding marks is easy now! I remember back during the MOL days when wetsanding marks can only be removed using a rotary. The G100 had no hope LOL! Now, a long throw polisher paired with a MF cutting pad and a good compound will remove wetsanding marks with ease!

But we are EXTREMELY LUCKY to have you, the man, Mike Phillips for teaching all these lessons, knowledge, tips and techniques to us. You selflessly shared all your knowledge and how-to's to the public. Without knowledge, all these tools are useless. You bring to us all the information we need to succeed in our detailing endeavor. So on behalf of everyone, THANK YOU SO MUCH for everything you do for us! We are eternally grateful.
    2011 SEMA Meguiar's Car Crazy Showcase Team
    2016 Competition Ready Barn Find Porsche Team

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12