autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Coating a set of Cosmis Hyper Bronze Racing Wheels! Yum yum...

Can we see pics of them on the car?.....PLEASE!

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Aaryn NZ View Post

"Wrongo" Mike, I think you just invented a word. I like it.

Some things in life just stick with you. When I was younger I worked for a guy that owned a tire recapping business. My job their was to recap tractor trailer tires, aka Semi Trucks. The owner's name was Bruce. He had a very very strong work ethic and he made a strong impression on me in my life.

He was also a fun guy to work for and he had a few things he did that stuck with me....

1: In conversation, working with us young guys, when we were wrong on something he of course would teach us the correct way or educate us on right information but in conversation he would say to us,

Wrongo Buffalo Breath

And that always stuck with me.

Another thing he did was while working and walking around the shop he would whistle. Only when he whistled, as far as I could tell it was never a coherent tune, just whistle, almost as though he whistled when he breathed. This drove me up the wall. The effect it had on me is to this day I whistle. Only I try to whistle coherent tunes. Just ask my co-workers here at Autogeek. Anytime I'm out walking around the facility I tend to whistle. It's just a habit. I tend to whistle either songs or TV show them music. Around Christmas time and in the middle of summer I whistle Christmas songs. I know I've stuck songs in Yancy's head that he can't get out simply by whistling while we're working together.

Anyway, that's where the word comes from . Bruce Thomas, owner of the Tangent Tire Shed. This is out in rural farmland in the valley of Oregon, just a hop, skip and jump away from the I-5 Freeway, (lots of truckers). I drove by the old Tire Shed back in December when I went out to Oregon to visit my parents. It's closed now, they moved it to a another city with a larger population. Tangent boasts a population of around a 1,000 people and I'd sat the stats are wrong.

Lots of great memories working for Bruce.

Nice article Mike, great Technique Tip with the double wipe & "Insurance Wipe" - it just makes sense.

You don't really want to cheat when applying coatings, this is a fantastic tip indeed.
    Thanks Aaryn,

I came up with the technique when we buffed out and then coated this old 2-door Mercury....

Review & How-To: Wolfgang Uber Ceramic Paint Coating

Look behind me and you'll see my friend and co-worker Jason. He's going to follow me around the car. I make the initial wipe and he makes the insurance wipe.

Boy oh boy are they some smart looking rims. Timeless style too, they could work on old school or new.

I agree. When Andre told me about them I was like,

Ho hum

After coating them I was like,

Yum yum

(nice looking rims!)

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Angus View Post

Good looking gloves you got there too
    They actually are really nice. The reason they are nice is because they are THICK and STRONG.

If you've ever worn thin gloves, like the black ones you see all detailers wearing no matter what they are doing?

You know they rip very easily. I hate doing things twice. If I'm going to be safe, that is take care of my health, then I use these thick strong heavy duty orange gloves and do it right the first time.

I included the link in the bottom of the write-up but for all you guys that want to be safe, here's the link again...

heavy duty orange gloves

You know all my life I've practiced giving due credit where credit is due. The reason why is because it bugs me when I see other people, i.e. other detailers copy my stuff, present it as their own and never give me credit. I've see this with articles, techniques, acronyms, etc. Little stuff I know but someone has to think all this stuff up that others then go on to use f-o-r-e-v-e-r. Here's one for you.

I figured I can't change people but I don't have to be like them. So I don't steel other people stuff. Here's an example. My good friend and leader in our industry has a saying, it goes like this,

If it's on your skin it's in you

That makes so much sense. When I think of that saying and I'm going to start using some chemicals, I put my gloves on.

I wish I would have came up with that saying but I didn't. The guy that coined that saying is Renny Doyle and I always give due credit where credit is due.

Quote Originally Posted by Angus View Post

Did this tire get mounted backwards on purpose?

Or is Andre trying hid the " Falken" logo? Is there no way of safely removing the paint?

I wondered that too? I'll have to let Andre answer that question.

Post Thanks / Like

Great write up as usual, Mike.

I have a question if you wouldn't mind taking some time to answer. The wheels have lettering engraved into them. What would be the best process to get coating into those nooks? My mind is pushing me towards perhaps a foam tip applicator (Kinda Q-Tip style) like these Griots Garage Touch-Up Paint Applicators, 25 Count, but I'm not sure if a better application method exists.

Also, those wheels look great. Congrats, Andre!
    A year from now, you'll wish you started today.

@utopiandetailing on Instagram.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by natewood70 View Post

Great write up as usual, Mike.

I have a question if you wouldn't mind taking some time to answer. The wheels have lettering engraved into them. What would be the best process to get coating into those nooks?

My mind is pushing me towards perhaps a foam tip applicator (Kinda Q-Tip style) like these Griots Garage Touch-Up Paint Applicators, 25 Count, but I'm not sure if a better application method exists.

I practice and teach what I call

Big Picture Detailing

Ask any student that's gone through the class, after the class they know what makes them money and what wastes time.

What you're talking about is called perfectionist detailing. I have two articles on this topic and one of them applies but here's links to both.

Perfectionist Detailing #1 - Compounding & Polishing right up to an edge

Perfectionist Detailing #2 - Sanding right up to an edge

The big picture is I took the little yellow foam applicator pad you see in the picture and wiped it over the engraved lettering like I did the smooth outer surfaces. whatever coating went into the grooves went in there... after about a minute I wiped the surface to remove any high spots, smudges and smears and stuck a fork in them and called them done.

Big Picture Detailing

Anyone else can invest as much time as they want or have into doing perfectionist detailing and I certainly don't mind what others do but the big picture is,

1. Get the wheels clean
    2. Chemically strip the surface
    3. Apply the coating
    4. Do a final wipe
    5. Move on...

Make sense?

But yeah if you want to go full metal jacket then test out some Q-tips, for both applying and final buff.

Post Thanks / Like

Andre shine up that supra and
    let's see those new wheels on it.

Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    I practice and teach what I call

Big Picture Detailing

Ask any student that's gone through the class, after the class they know what makes them money and what wastes time.

What you're talking about is called perfectionist detailing. I have two articles on this topic and one of them applies but here's links to both.

Perfectionist Detailing #1 - Compounding & Polishing right up to an edge

Perfectionist Detailing #2 - Sanding right up to an edge

The big picture is I took the little yellow foam applicator pad you see in the picture and wiped it over the engraved lettering like I did the smooth outer surfaces. whatever coating went into the grooves went in there... after about a minute I wiped the surface to remove any high spots, smudges and smears and stuck a fork in them and called them done.

Big Picture Detailing

Anyone else can invest as much time as they want or have into doing perfectionist detailing and I certainly don't mind what others do but the big picture is,

1. Get the wheels clean
    2. Chemically strip the surface
    3. Apply the coating
    4. Do a final wipe
    5. Move on...

Make sense?

But yeah if you want to go full metal jacket then test out some Q-tips, for both applying and final buff.

Thanks, Mike. That totally makes sense to me, and brought some clarity to my thought process.

As always, I appreciate your help and input!
    A year from now, you'll wish you started today.

@utopiandetailing on Instagram.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey guys! Sorry I've been really busy, haven't had a chance to post pics of the supra. I snapped a couple earlier really quick. I got a 1988 Toyota Supra MKIII (not a MKIV, sorry). It's got a 1JZ that is fully built (forged internals and built head) putting down 550awhp on a Mustang Dyno on 30#'s of boost (and yes, there's more power to be made in the future)! It's a very fun car that I absolutely love. The Cosmis Racing Wheels look absolutely incredible on this car, I couldn't be any happier with them! Mike Phillips put Pinnacle Black Label Wheel Coating on the rims and they are super glossy and slick now! The coating really made them "POP" even more than they already do! I will try and keep everyone updated on the durability of the wheel coating but I have NO doubt that it will easily last many many months. I just simply look forward to the ease of keeping these puppies clean! The paint on the car isn't the best(29 year old paint), that will be my next project! Thanks for the awesome comments guys, it's really cool to see so many Supra fans! They really are cool cars

Post Thanks / Like

Andre your 1988 Toyota Supra MKIII is nothing to be sorry
    for. I like all Supras and 550 HP is just the beginning. Must
    be fun!! Can't wait to see more pics.

Jim

Post Thanks / Like

The car looks great and I can tell its a driver too, nothing wrong with that....infact, tip of the cap for it being that way!
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12