autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Why use a nickname on a forum? But use your real name on FacebooK?

If you think my name ISN'T Waxmaster1...................you're sadly mistaken. I'll post a picture of my license soon. Actually, I'm the artist formerly known as Waxmaster1. Just ask E2K!

PS: I do not have a Facebook account

PPS: That is me in my avatar

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dlc95 View Post
    dlc95 are my initials + graduation year.
    You young punk.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

Why use a nickname on a forum? But use your real name on FacebooK?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    I've never understood the me-to pattern for using nicknames when joining forums. Sure I get it when a guy that owns a 2002 Malibu joins a forum and for a forum nickname goes with 02Malibu but why not just go with your actual name?

2: Posting or writing under your real name causes a person to conform to some sort of accountability. It keeps you honest among your peers.
    I mostly agree with you on this 1, Mike, mostly... Reason I say that is because I technically fall into the "Malibu02" category... But I have my reasons! Lol.

I chose this username over 15yrs. ago for Xbox Live [which explains why I didn't choose my real name because no one goes by their actual name when gaming online] But I had to make a name and Eldorado was the 1st and only name I wanted. [having owned 4 Eldorados, it just became a part of me I guess] I wanted to be named Eldorado, but that had already been taken, so since we were fresh into the new millennium and I wanted to keep it simple I chose Eldorado2k. Every other online forum since has told me "Eldorado" is already taken.. So I always wind up being Eldorado2k...

As far as the 2nd part of your post and what you said about it causing you to have some sort of accountability among your peers... I totally agree. That's why I posted a picture of myself on my very 1st post here on AGO.

The way I see it:
    I'm here for good reason, to communicate on a forum with people of common interest.
    This is me, this is who you're talking to, I've got nothing to hide, I'm not scared of any non sense, I'm not ashamed of how I look lol, I'm not an alter ego online - I'm the same exact person you'll meet in real life. And I sure ain't scared to talk to people in real life so why wouldn't I show my face?

I honestly find it a bit comical that some people are afraid to show their faces on the internet. There's almost 7 billion people on earth, do you really think anyone's going dedicate themselves to ruining your image once you post it? Are these same people afraid to go outside in real life? Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    I happen to believe that a lot of guys/girls take pride in coming up with a screen name (or user title, whatever) that is either a clever creation of theirs, or describes them in some way.
    Yup, I'd be part of that crowd you're describing.^

Quote Originally Posted by WaxMaster1 View Post
    If you think my name ISN'T Waxmaster1...................you're sadly mistaken. I'll post a picture of my license soon. Actually, I'm the artist formerly known as Waxmaster1. Just ask E2K!

This man speaks the truth.Why use a nickname on a forum?  But use your real name on FacebooK?
    I've conversated with him over the phone, but It's almost impossible to put into words... I dialed the number and my phone said it was connecting to the WaxMaster1! Then I heard the voice of mini Prince from the Dr. Pepper commercials, and his advice and knowledge about detailing was many years in advance of what people know today... WaxMaster1, an artist evolved into a true polishing god.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I'm the opposite, I use my real name on the hobbyist forums I'm on, but a 'screen name' on FB. On the forums, the odds of me making a post that will (if it gets back to my family or other persons of importance) cause me grief is 0%. However I have been burned on "social media" (before face book) where a "friend" told someone what I had said (just blowing off steam, not even about anyone or anything specific) and it came back to bite me in the asterisks, so there fore, screen name.
    Don M
    2017 Camaro 2LT
    376 RWHP, 6-Speed manual

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    You young punk.
    Lol!

40 yo young punk?

Success!

The other thing is that being a pro drummer automatically puts you out in the internet. I was in a local band from 2012-2105 on and off that had a ridiculous amount of endorsements, and press. To compound that, our fearless leader was constantly posting about the band, and posting self-pics... Trust me when I say that when it comes to my drumming promoting the name is part of the game. Like I said earlier though. I'm not planning on approaching what I do with paint enhancement and protection the same way I do my drumming. Although I did just remember that I'm 40, and should probably consider it.. Ha!

Post Thanks / Like

Okay...I'll fess up. My forum name is Mike Honcho. My real name is Donald Trump.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app
    Mike Honcho

Post Thanks / Like

I thought our name is in our profile. Is it? I looked and don't see it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pilotpip View Post
    Why do I stay "anonymous" on here? Because I don't know you. Facebook is for friends and family, and I can say that everyone who is my "friend" is someone I've personally had interactions with at some time in my life. I have my security settings tight for a reason. Yeah, I get that my info is out there, but I'm fortunate that I share my name with a pretty famous athlete and doing a google search on my name will produce about 30 pages of this other individual before anything of mine pops up.

I haven't posted on the AG Facebook page because of this, and the reactions and statements by some of the fans of the page. I am considering unfollowing it. There's no content there that is worth my time that isn't on here.

Frankly, AGO is about the only forum I think I would share my name on. The others that I am a member of, regardless of activity or interest have way too many keyboard commandos that like to beat their chest. I don't get into that stuff, but frankly I don't want those morons out there knowing my name. Unfortunately, social media is only making us less social, and more sociopathic.
    Well said!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WaxMaster1 View Post
    I love your commercials!

Post Thanks / Like

This reminds me of a conversation I had with a relative just a couple weeks ago. We are both amateur radio (ham) operators. He has ham radio 'vanity' license plates on his car showing his call sign. I opted not to do that simply because if someone took offense with me or my car, all they would have to do is google my call sign and they have my name and home address in less than 5 seconds. Most people don't know it's that easy, but I showed my relative on my cellphone and pulled up his name/address while we were standing there.

I realize this website is much different and relatively innocuous, but I am among those who believe the less online connection to my real life, the better. I have nothing to hide, but I don't invite trouble.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast