autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

BMW White Leather Interior

Afternoon guys ( from my side of the world ( Sunny South Africa ) atleast )

I have a client with a Yas Marina Blue M4 with Silverstone 'Merino' leather interior. He uses towels on the seats to prevent them from getting dirty when he drives it, although it has started to show signs of dirt already. One area that we noticed was ontop of the seat where the seat belt would touch the seat while being seated. Offcourse when moving around in the car the seatbelt moves with your body & rubs the seat. I would like to find out if there is any specific way to clean & protect these seats ?? The also have white stitching so I would assume that while cleaning, if any dirt were to touch the stitching that it would stain it. My current leather treatment consists of cleaning with APC 1:20 ratio, followed by a single application of Turtle Wax leather cleaner & conditioner and then a final wipedown with MF towel to remove any left over product & leave a satin finish

I detailed the client's e92 M3 for him a couple of days ago and just to give you an example of how ANAL he is about his cars, here are 3 pics of the M3

BMW White Leather Interior-maixg5e-jpg

BMW White Leather Interior-8f1vhdq-jpg

BMW White Leather Interior-6smy10k-jpg

From South Africa
    Creative Car Detailing

Post Thanks / Like

Re: BMW White Leather Interior

Tape the stitching while you clean.leather masters makes good products for your scenario,not a fan of conditioning leather,once you do it your married to it.for that car keep it clean and that's it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GSKR View Post
    Tape the stitching while you clean.leather masters makes good products for your scenario,not a fan of conditioning leather,once you do it your married to it.for that car keep it clean and that's it.
    Just out of curiosity why arnt you a fan of conditioning leather. Ive heard alot of people say that lately...just wondering

Post Thanks / Like

People have there own preference and beliefs.for me I don't like conditioner once you do the interior from there it's constant follow up and extra work all the time.streaks when it rains on the door when getting in the car when it's raining and sometimes on the seat.when you are sweating after a workout the conditioner leaves pattern of your sweat.and conditioners darken the leather over time and makes cleaning a little bit harder.some cars such as black interiors need conditioner to conceal scuffs and scrapes.I have a new e350 and I clean the interior with carpro eraser.I don't drench the panels with it,but rather mist it on and wipe.leaves no residue to tacky feeling you get with apc.eraser is great on steering wheel and the wood and even the nav screen.Ive been using eraser on all my cars with no problems.Deosnt make sense but it works great on newer cars for light maintenance without all that greasey tacky feeling you get with conditioners.

Post Thanks / Like

I think some people don't use conditioners as they don't work on most modern day leather seats as they are coated and the conditioner does not penetrate into the leather. I use Leather Master after my research. The Leather Master protectant is like coating your paint on your vehicle.

Post Thanks / Like

I use

Pinnacle Black Label Leather and Vinyl coating on my wife's leather seats in her ATS and my Mocha seats in my current 550i. I pick up a new 750 tomorrow with white interior so I am taking the PBL with me and doing the drivers seat at the dealership.

Post Thanks / Like

Conditioners should be avoided on modern chrome tanned leather as they are not needed and are counter productive. Oils, waxes etc simply sit on the surface of the leather as they cannot soak in through the clear coat finishes (and would cause additional problems if they could!) where they simply attract more dirt which is what we are trying to avoid. Dirt acts as an abrasive to the clear coat finishes which causes wear.
    Using a correctly formutated dedicated leather cleaner should not affect the stitching (this is all taken into account in their formulation)
    A protector will help keep the leather clean and free from dye transfer etc on pale leather and will not alter the way the leather looks or feels.
    High wear areas should be kept clean on a reguslar basis with a maintenance cleaner (cleaner and protector - not conditioner - in one) and if the seat belt is constantly rubbing try to find a way of keeping it off the leather to help avoid the constant rubbing on the seat - moving the seat a fraction may help
    Hope this helps
    Judyb