autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Confused, what to use on cleaned, COATED leather

I have been researching leather for the past week in anticipation of two detail jobs I have coming up. The cars are 2013 (Porsche) and 2014 (Land Rover) so I'm guessing that they both have coated leather interiors. I have my cleaner (Meguiar's Gold Class Aloe Leather and Vinyl cleaner), but now I need something to treat/seal the leather once it's been cleaned.

With all the reading I've been doing, I learned that coated and uncoated leather is handled differently. It's said that you need to use a sealant on coated leather, because leather conditioners will not penetrate the coating and just smear around on the surface, making the leather shiny and oily.

I was thinking of using 303 Aerospace Protectant or the 303 Fabric Protectant once the leather has been cleaned, but is there something better (I've only got 4 days until the detail).

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Confused, what to use on cleaned, COATED leather

Meguiars leather sealer works very well

Post Thanks / Like

If they will pay for the upcharge, look at carpro leather and vinyl coat. I have not used it, but used the older fabric and leather coat. Awesome product very durable. Leaves a slight gloss, less than 303 (the F&L, the leather coat should act similar)

Also Wolfgang Cockpit Trim Sealant, leaves a slight sheen. Really leaves vinyl and leather looking new and feeling smooth. Last about 6 weeks on seats.
    Detailing is a way of life, not a hobby!

Post Thanks / Like

Not all conditioners will just smear around. For example Adam's conditioner will dry to the touch very quickly and leave a matte finish and provide SPF 65 (IIRC) which is important to keep the coating protected. Just saying this to let you know that you can't generalize all conditioners as being worthless on coated leather.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SYMAWD View Post
    Not all conditioners will just smear around. For example Adam's conditioner will dry to the touch very quickly and leave a matte finish and provide SPF 65 (IIRC) which is important to keep the coating protected. Just saying this to let you know that you can't generalize all conditioners as being worthless on coated leather.

I didn't mean to say ALL of them would have undesirable traits on leather, I just typed in "Leather Conditioner Sealant" into Google and of the ones I read, most of the ones that I read about that were called "conditioners" fell into this category. One of my bigger concerns is that the details are on Saturday so I can't count on on-line ordering arriving on time. Too, I'm being "graded" on these interiors, meaning that if I impress the owners of these cars with my interior work, I get the exterior work as well so the last thing I wanted was to order something I had never used before and end up with a shiny oily mess.

Post Thanks / Like

I've used 303 on the treated leather in all of our cars and been very happy with the results.

I like 303 due to it's flexibility. I can use it on all interior surfaces. I don't have to deal with different products for different materials. I simply grab a bottle of 303, a few MF towels, and then go to work!
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Don M View Post
    I have been researching leather for the past week in anticipation of two detail jobs I have coming up
    Leather is such a controversial AND confusing topic. This thread has some good stuff: Autopia Forum - Auto Detailing & Car Care Discussion Forum.

With all the reading I've been doing, I learned that coated and uncoated leather is handled differently. It's said that you need to use a sealant on coated leather, because leather conditioners will not penetrate the coating and just smear around on the surface, making the leather shiny and oily.
    Sealant = "protectant" (semantics)? If so, that seems to be the general consensus that's been hammered into my psyche over the past year as well.

I was thinking of using 303 Aerospace Protectant or the 303 Fabric Protectant once the leather has been cleaned, but is there something better (I've only got 4 days until the detail).
    Interesting Fabric Guard can be used on leather, thought it doesn't specify "coated automotive leather" on the product description page. I was typing as Desertnate posted, so maybe that is a pretty viable option :-)

My personal recommendation is to use Leather Masters Protection Cream. It leaves a very smooth, but matte finish--not just in look, but in feel. It's hard to explain, but the seats "feel" matte--a good characteristic if the customer doesn't want to slide around in the seat. I highly recommend using a sponge to apply the protectant, foam applicators may work as well but I'd avoid a MF/terry cloth applicator. The product spreads super easy and a little goes a long way. If you need something stronger (since the customers have premium vehicles), then use Leather Masters Leather Barrier as it's formulated to stop dye/ink transfer--basically a stronger version of the protection cream.
    2011 Toyota Camry SE - Magnetic Gray Metallic

Post Thanks / Like

I just typed in "Leather Conditioner Sealant" into Google and of the ones I read, most of the ones that I read about that were called "conditioners" fell into this category
    One of the main reasons leather care is confusing...some of the "conditioners" out there are protectants as well--they just don't state that. Mothers VLR is one of these (as validated by Forrest in this thread: http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...-question.html. And if the standard Conditioner does the same, then it is technically a protectant as well. I use Mothers on my wife's Pilot light grey leather seats and it works great!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CDot View Post
    Leather is such a controversial AND confusing topic. This thread has some good stuff: Autopia Forum - Auto Detailing & Car Care Discussion Forum.

Sealant = "protectant" (semantics)? If so, that seems to be the general consensus that's been hammered into my psyche over the past year as well.

Interesting Fabric Guard can be used on leather, thought it doesn't specify "coated automotive leather" on the product description page. I was typing as Desertnate posted, so maybe that is a pretty viable option :-)

My personal recommendation is to use Leather Masters Protection Cream. It leaves a very smooth, but matte finish--not just in look, but in feel. It's hard to explain, but the seats "feel" matte--a good characteristic if the customer doesn't want to slide around in the seat. I highly recommend using a sponge to apply the protectant, foam applicators may work as well but I'd avoid a MF/terry cloth applicator. The product spreads super easy and a little goes a long way. If you need something stronger (since the customers have premium vehicles), then use Leather Masters Leather Barrier as it's formulated to stop dye/ink transfer--basically a stronger version of the protection cream.
    I agree that Leather Masters Leather Barrier sounds great, but I have to have it in 2 days and I can't afford the next day shipping

Post Thanks / Like

Your original/Desertnate's suggestion is probably the best option then--the Fabric Guard. It's a good product :-)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast