autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Number of pads for new project?

We are in the middle of winter here in New York, and I would like to get everything I need for my upcoming project. I have a 2014 Expedition in Tuxedo Black and after watching the video on the Wolfgang products, as soon as the weather breaks, I want to get started on my truck. I plan to clay the truck and then with Mike's suggestion I'm going to to use Wolfgang 3.0 with a orange pad, finishing glaze with a white pad and complete it with a white pad and sealant. My question is how many of each pad(s) will I need?

Thanks,

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Number of pads for new project?

Is this with a Machine?
    Then, The more The better.
    I'd say @ least 3-4 in each color for compounding & polishing, 2-3 for finishing.

Btw, don't know which white pad you are referring to for finishing?
    Make sure it's a finishing pad.

Super Member CarolinasFinestDetailing's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

On a large truck like that, I would want 3 pads each. You can get by with two honestly by using proper pad cleaning techniques and switching them out.
    Carolina`s Finest Detailing - Charlotte areas preferred CQuartz Finest Reserve & GTECHNIQ Crystal Serum Ultra coating center. STEK/Suntek PPF
    www.Carolinasfinestdetailing.me

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Deano_1 View Post
    We are in the middle of winter here in New York, and I would like to get everything I need for my upcoming project. I have a 2014 Expedition in Tuxedo Black and after watching the video on the Wolfgang products, as soon as the weather breaks, I want to get started on my truck. I plan to clay the truck and then with Mike's suggestion I'm going to to use Wolfgang 3.0 with a orange pad, finishing glaze with a white pad and complete it with a white pad and sealant. My question is how many of each pad(s) will I need?

Thanks,

Did mike perform a test spot for you?? You may not need to go so agressive you are just jumping the gun. I'm sure that combo would work. But you may be able to complete in one step you never know without completing a test spot.

And to answer your question I would at least buy a six pack 3 orange, two whites, and a finishing pad.
    It's all in the details

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EVOlved View Post
    Did mike perform a test spot for you?? You may not need to go so agressive you are just jumping the gun. I'm sure that combo would work. But you may be able to complete in one step you never know without completing a test spot.

And to answer your question I would at least buy a six pack 3 orange, two whites, and a finishing pad.
    This first and foremost.

Do you have a pad cleaner?

If not you'll need more than 3-4 IMO. An expedition is alot of truck to do paint correction, and depending on how much correction is needed will determine how many pads.

To be overly safe, I like to have 1 pad per panel, since I don't have a pad cleaner, still cleaning on the fly as Mike P. recommends.

Mike Phillips

Some guys try to buff out entire cars with a single pad per product. That's usually due to inexperience. Thus when they make their initial purchase they don't know to get more pads versus less pads.

Once a person gets into the middle of the correction step and their one or two foam pads are wet with product, (pad saturation), and if they're paying attention they notice it's taking longer to get the same work done than when they first started with a clean, dry pad, then it starts to sink in that more pads are better.

The correction step is the most pad intensive step so get more correction pads, these would be cutting pads.

Polishing goes faster as you're only cleaning up what the correction step left behind and maximizing gloss and clarity.

If you machine apply your waxes and sealants then you really only need one pad for this step.

For a 1965 Mustang or for a 2015 Honda Accord and the paint is trashed, that is filled with swirls, scratches, water spots and oxidation, then here's a good rule of thumb for the optimum number of pads to have on hand assuming you're using a Porter Cable type dual action polisher.

Porter Cable 7424XP
    Correction = Orange LC Flat Pad
    Polishing = White or Black LC Flat Pad
    Sealing = Blue LC Flat Pad

Correction step = 6 pads
    1 for the hood
    1 for the roof and trunk lid
    2 for driver's side
    2 for passenger side

Polishing step = 4 pads (You could probably get away with 3 if you use 1 for hood, roof and trunk lid)

1 for the hood
    1 for driver's side
    1 for passenger side

Sealing the paint step = 1 waxing pad
    Use over entire vehicle

For a Flex 3401
    Correction = Orange Hybrid
    Polishing = White Hybrid
    Sealing = Black Hybrid

From experience, you can push the orange hybrid pads further than most pads plus the Flex 3401 simply doesn't care if the pads are wet with product it's going to rotate them no matter what. Not that using a squishy wet pad is a good thing just saying...

One thing for sure, a fresh, clean, dry orange hybrid pad with a top notch compound cuts fast on the Flex 3401.

Correction step = 6 pads
    1 for the hood
    2 for driver's side
    2 for passenger side

Polishing step = 4 pads (You could probably get away with 3 if you use 1 for hood, roof and trunk lid)

1 for the hood
    1 for driver's side
    1 for passenger side

Sealing the paint step = 1 waxing pad
    Use over entire vehicle

For Rupes Bigfoot

Same as pads for a Porter Cable. Basically, more is better and as soon as any pad starts to become wet with product it's going to be faster and more effective to switch to a clean, dry pad.

Big picture...

Being able to switch to a clean dry pad always trumps plowing through with a wet soggy pad. Foam pads become wet or saturated with product the longer you buff, that's just the nature of foam and liquids.

A fresh, clean dry pad works better, whether it's for major correction work or minor polishing work.

A fresh, clean dry pad make you and your time more effective and enables you to do any paint polishing process as fast as possible.

Switching to a fresh clean, dry pad OFTEN means less wear-n-tear on pads in general and you'll get more use or extended life out of each pad overall. Pushing a pad to the point that it's completely saturated with product wears out the foam, the Velcro and the adhesive faster than stopping the use of the pad after a panel or two.

Buffing with wet pads increases the heat retention inside the pad and to the backing plate and heat is never a good thing in any buffing process.

There's only positive aspects to having more pads as compared to having less pads.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the replies. I will look at all of these again, and certainly buy a few additional of each pad. Like you guys said, the truck has a lot of real estate and I might as well have too many pads than not enough. One more question though, my wife has a white Explorer, can I use the same combination of polish, sealant and wax for her white vehicle?

Thanks,

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Deano_1 View Post
    Thanks for all the replies. I will look at all of these again, and certainly buy a few additional of each pad. Like you guys said, the truck has a lot of real estate and I might as well have too many pads than not enough. One more question though, my wife has a white Explorer, can I use the same combination of polish, sealant and wax for her white vehicle?

Thanks,
    Absolutely pads, polishes, and LSP's are universal. They will enhance the look of any vehicle! Just make sure to clean out the pads as soon as possible to get the best results in removing any leftover polishes.

Just as previously stated always remember to perform a http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...ight=Test+spot (read link) to go with the least aggressive method to achieve the desired results.
    It's all in the details