autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Any one ever hear of waxing by BARE hand?

I know with zymol royal wax its required but what about others? Would it even make a difference? Just wondering.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Any one ever hear of waxing by BARE hand?

Required?? I've seen it from time to time. Some of DoDo Juice's offerings come to mind. I tried it on a vehicle once. It only took one swipe for me to realize my hands and fingers are way to rough for such a method! Never again!!!!! I do enjoy waxing small items around the house with bare hands however.

Post Thanks / Like

very normal from Estate Waxes ... warmth of hand supposedly helps to break down the higher nuba content. Never noticed a huge difference but hands feel quite dried out afterwards.

Scott

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by spiralout462 View Post
    Required?? I've seen it from time to time. Some of DoDo Juice's offerings come to mind. I tried it on a vehicle once. It only took one swipe for me to realize my hands and fingers are way to rough for such a method! Never again!!!!! I do enjoy waxing small items around the house with bare hands however.
    Is it wrong that I chucked at this part? :-O
    Sorry, the wife and I had a few drinks since the kids are staying over at their grandparents for the night! Lol!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by brondondolon View Post
    I know with zymol royal wax its required but what about others? Would it even make a difference? Just wondering.
    I honestly believe it's not required with any paste wax, but there's these old wife's tales, that these are the only way they should be applied. I had a local friend try to con me to believe this, and I pretty much told him, "It's your car, do what you want to do."

Other wife's tales of his, was since it was a German Car (Mercedes Benz) but repainted in El Paso Tx, he MUST have German Wax (Zymol) to go on top. When I suggested Collinite 915 or 476 when he mentioned wanting a Nuba, he responded to me like I must be high on some real good drugs. That Collinite was some total cheap junk wax, that would never get within 20 feet of his fine beloved German Automobile. How dare I even suggest such!

Nuba content, and estate waxes. Again, I don't think I've ever used anything that was as hard to apply and remove as the real Blue Coral Paste, and a couple others that I bought years ago from a local Chicago Wax Factory. Those from the Chicago wax factory I used to personally witness being made. Weather conditions are one key, anybody who ever used real Blue Coral, knew you don't try to apply this wax in a Chicago winter, Just like trying to take a Paraffin Candle to your car, and now try wiping it off. Yep, that hard.

There were a few others that come to mind that would maybe work you a bit if not taken off as soon as you put them on, or you tried applying in 50 degree weather, like the real original Simoniz, Slipstream Airplane Wax come to mind quickly.

Lastly, many nubas are loaded with solvents. Solvents I try to not saturate my hands with.

Post Thanks / Like

I cannot tell you how many glass jars of Blue Coral I must've chucked when I was a kid. Many.

This sort of wax, once it would begin to get old, and dry out, hands, or 100 degree heat wouldn't soften it. Nothing short of a blow torch I figure.
    Thus, they hit the trash can, and a new jar was bought.

Back then, I think you'd be talking about $2.75 for a small Jar.

Post Thanks / Like

Im just going off of the directions for using the zymol royale wax. I guess because of the high white carnuba content which is very hard it must be used by hand to melt it onto the paint.

I was just wondering though if using any other paste wax by bare hand would render better results over foam pad. I can see one benefit being that you wont get any on the molding or any thing and it also would allow you to get into tighter areas maybe.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

"I do enjoy waxing small items around the house with bare hands however."

Now that's Funny!

Does your Wife get upset or is she just happy you are doing some of her work?

I doubt she would get the same results you are seeing.

Would you suggest a paste wax or a liquid like M26.

If it's an older, oxidized "small item" that hasn't seen much usage...would you suggest #7...rub it in and let it dwell overnite?

What if it's a Daily Driver...would the choice of wax be different?

Post Thanks / Like
    Waxing by hand is a waste of time and wax - for most waxes. When you use a foam applicator, some of the wax goes into the foam, and it sort of forms a steady state and dispenses the wax. When you use your hands, most of he wax tends to get unevenly applied. Most videos I've seen of people applying wax by hand are over applying it to compensate.

There are some waxes that do apply OK by hand. The one that comes to mind is Dodo's Blue Velvet Pro. However, it's still faster and easier to apply it via applicator. I'm convinced there is no factual reason to apply a wax by hand, unless you just like doing it. IMHO if there is a wax out there that only will actually apply by hand (not the manufacturer just recommending it), and not by applicator - it's garbage.

Quote Originally Posted by allenk4 View Post
    "I do enjoy waxing small items around the house with bare hands however."

Does your Wife get upset or is she just happy you are doing some of her work?
    Now that's really funny.

Post Thanks / Like
    Never tried it but it seems like a waste of wax and time. And the cleanup would be awful considering all the harsh solvents on your hands afterward.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast