autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Yellowing White Paint

My daughter drives a white 2005 Pontiac Grand Prix with 85K on the odometer. The paint appears to be yellowing to me but I cannot tell if it is due to age or some form of contamination.....or maybe just my imagination. I polished it with M205 and got an excellent finish. The paint seems to be in very good condition. Am I imagining things or is it possible the paint color can be somewhat corrected by using a good cleaner polish (like Duragloss 501) and/or some Iron X ??

Anyone ever had a similar issue ?...and, if so, were you able to reduce what appears to be a yellowing of the color ?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Yellowing White Paint

Quote Originally Posted by Rockeey View Post
    My daughter drives a white 2005 Pontiac Grand Prix with 85K on the odometer. The paint appears to be yellowing to me but I cannot tell if it is due to age or some form of contamination.....or maybe just my imagination. I polished it with M205 and got an excellent finish. The paint seems to be in very good condition. Am I imagining things or is it possible the paint color can be somewhat corrected by using a good cleaner polish (like Duragloss 501) and/or some Iron X ??

Anyone ever had a similar issue ?...and, if so, were you able to reduce what appears to be a yellowing of the color ?
    You will need a cleaner wax min like Megs #6 or even better #83, or just go with a compound like M105 then follow back up with M205 and wax.

Post Thanks / Like

Have you done any test to see if there is any build up of above surface contamination at all?

Any dirt, iron, tree sap and so on that will build up in the surface if the paint will give the paint a different appreance.

I think claying and ironx along with either a cleaner wax or M205 would be a good start.

If after doing those things and you still see the yellowing I would then go with M105 and M205 and check your results.
    Official Detailing Team Member of Air Force One
    Flex 3401 / Flex PE8 / Rupes 21 / G110v2 / GG6" / Rupes 75E / GG3"
    Click and Like my Facebook Page

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Evan.J View Post
    Have you done any test to see if there is any build up of above surface contamination at all?

Any dirt, iron, tree sap and so on that will build up in the surface if the paint will give the paint a different appreance.

I think claying and ironx along with either a cleaner wax or M205 would be a good start.

If after doing those things and you still see the yellowing I would then go with M105 and M205 and check your results.

If it was me doing it I would do a small test spot with D151 and see if it changed the color any. If so then I would just go for it.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'll give them a try and see what happens. Like I said, the paint appears to be in good shape.

Post Thanks / Like
    You could give megs white wax a shot as it's available over the counter. Their ultimate compound may also be a good thing to try.

Post Thanks / Like

When we first got my wife's car it appeared to have a yellowish hue to it, once I clayed it, it was white again.
    John
    Mean people suck

Post Thanks / Like

Just want to give you an article that explains about how dirts will make a paint color look much different

Here's why you need to polish paint...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzKjGVHlMHA]Dirt Stained Paint - Why to polish your car's paint - YouTube[/video]
    Official Detailing Team Member of Air Force One
    Flex 3401 / Flex PE8 / Rupes 21 / G110v2 / GG6" / Rupes 75E / GG3"
    Click and Like my Facebook Page

Post Thanks / Like

I recently detailed my friends white Honda Pilot with similar issues. I had washed the car well and pulled it into the garage but the paint still seemed dirty after washing and claying. I had only planned on using Duragloss 105 as a 1 step on it and after 1 pass it made the paint look new again. I would try a good cleaner wax/polish like D105 or D151 or others. I'm sure this will fix your problem.

Post Thanks / Like

I said I used Duragloss 105 on the Pilot, I meant to say I used Duragloss 501, sorry. I used 501 as the 1 step and it did a beautiful job cleaning up the paint.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast