autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Yellow pad to white pad

Was wondering if anyone sees an issue with doing m105 with a yellow pad than right to white with m205. I'm working on a very heavily swirled out black impreza and was thinking this route would be good based on the amount of time I have with the car. Thanks in advance...

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Yellow pad to white pad

Oh they're lake country foam pads

Post Thanks / Like
    Should be alright. Someone with a little more experience will probably chime in too. But I don't really see an issue beings that 205 is usually used with a white or grey pad. The yellow shouldn't make it too bad that the white wont clean it up enough.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a logical progression.

Remember that first, in order to use the yellow you would have done a test spot to find out it you actually *needed* the yellow, (over white or orange). After the compounding is done about the most cut I'd ever consider with a polish would be the white pad. Remember that when using it you can do your first few section passes with more pressure, then it's possible to do a few of the end passes with the same pad but very light pressure and it'll finish out pretty nicely.

Post Thanks / Like

This makes perfect sense to me...

Yellow Cutting 5.5 inch Foam Pad - Use this pad to apply compounds or polishes to remove severe oxidation, swirls, and scratches. It is the most aggressive and should only be used on oxidized and older finishes. Always follow this pad with an orange or white pad and a fine polish to refine the paint until it is smooth.

Orange Light Cutting 5.5 inch Foam Pad - Firm, high density foam for scratch and defect removal. Use this pad with polishes and swirl removers. It’s an all around pad that will work on most light to moderate imperfections.

White Polishing 5.5 inch Foam Pad - Less dense foam formula for the application of waxes, micro-fine polishes and sealants. This pad has very light cutting power so its perfect for pre-wax cleaners.

Gray Finishing 5.5 inch Foam Pad - Composition is firm enough to withstand added pressure during final finishing to remove buffer swirls. It has no cut and will apply thin, even coats of waxes, sealants, and glazes.

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys...I def do a test spot but most of you have done hundreds or even thousands of cars to my 50 or so...thanks again

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wrb_subie View Post
    Thanks guys...I def do a test spot but most of you have done hundreds or even thousands of cars to my 50 or so...thanks again
    Make sure you prove you can remove the marring that the yellow pad will add with M105. It may be easier to just M105 on two passes with an orange pad.
    Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

I really don't have too much experience but do have a black WRX and yellow pad with 105 seems like a HEAVY combo for soft Subaru paint.

Like the other poster said you might do well doing a test spot with a lighter pad and compound/polish combo first to make sure that 105 and yellow is really needed. Good Luck!
    2003 Midnight Black Pearl WRX (Cobb AP stg 2) - Daily
    1993 Vintage Red RX-7 Twin Turbo (stock, 18,500 miles) - Sunday
    ~Drew

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks ill get some pics up later.. I got it washed clayed prepped for tomorrow. Paint is def in rough shape though. But ill try orange first, hopefully that is enough..