autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to Sealants

Post Thanks / Like

New to Sealants

Hello all, I'm new to the world of sealants but want to give them a try. I have a Deep Black VW which offers an awesome metallic shimmer and I have been using the Pinnacle Clay Bar when needed, Pinnacle Paint Cleansing Lotion prior to the last several waxes and have been using Meguiar's Ultimate Wax as of late however for my first deep spring cleaning, I wanted to see how a Sealant would help hold the shine a bit longer. My Dad recently picked up a container of Wolfgang Fuzion Estate wax that I was going to use as my final coat and since I've had such great luck with the Pinnacle Paint Cleaning Lotion, was going to order some more but have had my eye on the Blackfire All Finish Paint Protection as my sealant as the reviews and pictures are amazing however saw that the Pinnacle Sealant is a bogo sale right now so was curious about any recommendations or thoughts between the Blackfire and Pinnacle products, or any others for that matter.

I'll be most likely applying this by hand although my Dad does have an orbital machine he's been wanting me to try. I'm just nervous on my black paint because I don't want to take the chance on any swirls.

Any help would be appreciated!
    2008 Volkswagen GLI, Deep Black

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New to Sealants

Sealants aside...what makes the paint pop is polishing (preparation), not the protection you put on top. Having said that, you can't go wrong with the Blackfire lineup...either Wet Diamond or the new kid...Crystal Seal.

Again, its all in the preparation because even a sealant won't last long if you don't prepare properly. I would also stick with ONE product line (from polish to LSP) to ensure that you get the best possible compatibility and bonding between the products.

I would go:

Prep Polish - Blackfire Polish & Seal or BF Finishing polish (if you don't need major correction)

LSP - Blackfire Wet Diamond or Crystal Seal (no buffing...just apply and walk away)

OR

CG V38 finishing polish, followed by CG Jetseal 109... or Blacklight w/polishing pad followed by Jetseal

OR

Optimum Polish II, followed by OPT Opti-Seal
    In my day we didn't have the Internet, iPods,iPads, or smart phones....but we had some really bad-azz cars.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, I appreciate the information and am looking to try and get on track with one product line. That's my goal in the long run.

Post Thanks / Like

Just to add some more information, Meguiar's Ultimate Wax, despite the name, is a sealant - it's completely synthetic.
    Francis

Post Thanks / Like

That's crazy, learn something new everyday! I appreciate that information as well. I really like the Ultimate Wax, has a great shine but am looking forward to trying the Fuzion wax and getting back to a pure caranuba application. Thanks for that info!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jcedorjr View Post
    That's crazy, learn something new everyday! I appreciate that information as well. I really like the Ultimate Wax, has a great shine but am looking forward to trying the Fuzion wax and getting back to a pure caranuba application. Thanks for that info!
    Fuzion is a hybrid wax/sealant, hence the name.

Post Thanks / Like

What I have learned over the last several years is that some synthetic waxes sold in the retail channel are thought of (and treated in many respects) as a sealant in the boutique world of detailing.

Mike Phillips has an article categorizing cleaners, sealant & wax products. I recommend you read it and draw your own conclusions.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...shing-wax.html

If you want to stick with one product line, Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0 is a fine sealant to be topped with Fuzion.

Pinnacle sealant is fine as well from what I have read but I don't see a lot of discussion with this product.

Regarding your swirl concerns you have to really be doing something fundamentally wrong if you introduce swirls when applying a sealant by machine or hand. As others have said, the preparation is what matters most. Sealants and waxes are like a mirror. They reflect what is underneath; no more and no less.

If price is a factor in your decision to move away from a one-manufacturer arsenal then consider a spray sealant. Non-spray sealants typically require long cure-times although there are short-cuts with some products.

Post Thanks / Like

I appreciate the response and while price is an issue, I would rather buy the right stuff up front rather than kick myself later on. As for the swirls on a machine, I honestly don't know enough about them and my only use was when I was much younger and we used a machine to compound an old car I had and while I know that's a totally different scenario, it's my only exposure so has just stuck I guess. I would like to try a machine at some point and will likely head in that direction when the funds let me

I will check out that article, thanks for sharing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jcedorjr View Post
    I appreciate the response and while price is an issue, I would rather buy the right stuff up front rather than kick myself later on. As for the swirls on a machine, I honestly don't know enough about them and my only use was when I was much younger and we used a machine to compound an old car I had and while I know that's a totally different scenario, it's my only exposure so has just stuck I guess. I would like to try a machine at some point and will likely head in that direction when the funds let me

I will check out that article, thanks for sharing.
    Wolfgang 3.0 or blackfire wet diamond

Post Thanks / Like

if I recall correctly...Pinnacle does not make a sealant

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast