autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Super Member DetailedByPrecision's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Removing compound from cracks and crevices.

I was wondering what type of brushes or techniques do you guys use to remove compound on areas where the tip of your finger and a mf towel won't suffice. For example, window trim, outer door handle area, gas lid sometimes, the crack between the A pillar and the fender, between bumpers and headlights. I can list a lot more but you guys probably get the point now. I need to know what type of brushes I can use that won't mar the paint or scratch it. If you guys have some advice and would like to share please feel free to because this is pissin me off.

Post Thanks / Like
    Q-tip usually does the trick for me.

opie_7afe

Re: Removing compound from cracks and crevices.

1" wide paint brush i have 2 of them one normal length bristles another one with the bristles cut down. i also dipped the brushes up to the bristles in plasti-dip. or get a boars hair 1"round pastry brush. AG sells them for 7.99 Lug Nut Brush,Clean Wheel Brush,clean brake calipers, clean lug nuts, boar's hair wheel brush, best wheel brush, wheel lug nuts

Post Thanks / Like

I sometimes use very soft tooth brushes to remove stuff off trims and cracks.
    Gary

Post Thanks / Like

All of the above, plus do it while giving the car a wash
    “Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.”

Post Thanks / Like

thx for all the tips guys.

Post Thanks / Like

My first try is always with the corner of a mf, or I'll fold in a sharp crease. If that doesn't work I've got a beveled tip on a wooden dowel that I use with an mf.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I happened on a strange little silicone-tipped "Double-End Detailing Brush" at Wal-Mart that I've not seen duplicated anywhere else. I'll try to get a picture up if I can find one online, or I'll have to wait until I'm back at the garage later this week to take a photo.

One end is a worthless plastic-bristle, straight-cut 1" brush with a sliding shield that I have glued in the 'full-cover' position as it annoyingly kept sliding back as I worked the 'booger' tip at the other end. THIS is where the magic is: It's a fingertip-sized nub of silicone that's chiseled to a point. Viewed end-on, it's shaped kind of like the bow of a boat, maybe about 0.75" in diameter at the base. It's very flexible and smooth - so it's gentle - and it's damn-near miraculous at working paste material out of body seams and fine details like the tight, inside edges of badging and emblems. It works like a tiny squeegee around the inner detail of my Mustang's "5.0" badges - so I don't even have to tape them. It's become invaluable in my toolbag!

They're not terribly well-made, but they are cheap. I bought one on a whim to try it out. A week later, I bought two more to keep in my bag. My first is just about worn after only 3 or 4 full details (I am pretty aggressive with it). If I ever run across a similar tool that's made better (or at least American-made), I'll jump on it. But for now, I won't compound or wax without my "booger-stick!"

Post Thanks / Like

guess I need to do some brush shopping soon... At least I have q tips...

Post Thanks / Like

Try bamboo skews. Mothers makes a brush that looks like a big toothbrush with a rubber tip on the other end.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast