autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Yellow road paint

Quote Originally Posted by MONSTERMATT View Post
    So i spent the whole day removing the yellow road paint from my black escaalde, the real fun was the fender liners, which i used wd-40 and a sharp piece of plastic, for the paint i used ammonia and hot water with the plastic edge too, is there an easier way? btw iam still chipping little specs , obviously because i am looking for it!! but is there a special compund that will melt this off , i had to use lots of elbow grease too, there has to be a better way! THANKS
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post

The topic wasn't how to remove it but how to diagnosis and then educate the customer on the time issues surround the removal of the paint as most people have no idea how long it will take to remove.

Tough, tough problem. I rarely recommend searching the forum for answers but this is a case where maybe doing some searching will come up with some solutions that have worked for others in the past.

I'm wondering if the DOT has a recommendation?

Road paint/striping is formulated to be very fast drying...usually with a drive-over rate drying time between 3-15 minutes...Hard to pressure wash it off a vehicle within that limitation!!! No easy way or special compound to make it go POOF, IMO.

I, too, am curious about road paint's correct removal. Only took a couple of minutes to drive over and visit my State's friendly { }, local DOT office. I was given this info:

*Typical types of road paint/striping, followed by some recommended removal-methods' products (Thinners) containing one or more of these ingredients/chemicals :

Waterborne Paint and
    Temporary/Removable Paint
    ...Ethyl alcohol; diacetone alcohol; hydroxy-4 methyl 2 pentanone

Alkyd Paint and
    Polymer Modified Solvent Based Paint and
    Chlorinated Rubber Modified Alkyd Paint....methyl benzene; toluene; phenyl methane.

Cold-Applied Plastic and
    Thermoplastic
    ...methyl methacrylate; poly methyl methacrylic

Cement-based---Rolled/sprayed: Portland cement remover.

Note:
    I asked about the usage of WD-40 and ammonia/hot water mix that you tried (along with what I have used on occasion...Vaseline/petroleum jelly; IPA; Naptha)

I was told that most of these are petro-based solvents and posed no significant risk if used with discretion/moderation. IPA is in most window cleaners---spray it on, let it soak, blot....repeat.

I was cautioned to use any road paint remover in a non-conspicuous area before proceeding, and start with the water-based solvent first. (HMMM....around here: Isn't that called a "test-spot/least aggressive method" ? I thought so!)

Keep in mind these are only guidelines, proceed with due diligence.

The EPA is requiring that every state and its municilalities use water-based road paints....exceptions are given to school zones, pedestrian crosswalks, handicap zones, and airport runways, among others. These are the areas that require long-life paints that usually contain, along with paint pigments, carrier solvents, etc., either the cold-applied, or thermoset, 'plastics' resins.

If not familiar with the type of road paint, and what location the paint mishap occurred, IHMO, Always, whenever in doubt, contact your local DOT. They are the ones that let out the contracts, [and the 'type of paint' to be used on a project], to "certified/qualified Stripers". They must follow the municipalities guidelines or be penalized. The stripers must also carry liability, worker's comp insurance....making "striping mistakes" is the last thing they want to do. But alas and aleck, they do.

Last but not least:
    Keep in mind that road paint contains glass beads (Silica) for reflectivity, crushed quartz (for non-skid)......So....Be very careful with any "Rubbing Techniques"...and always follow the safety guidelines/PPE for any solvent use.

Hope this helps you some OP.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

JUST GOT ASKED TO get pait off a brand new GMC quad cab. Im digging this tread up forit, has anyone used med grade clay for this?

Post Thanks / Like

Got a call for this problem today. Quoted him around 100$. That's my minimal fee for going anywhere to do service. I charge 40$/h after the first hour if I can't complete the work in 1 hour.

My instinct was to use acetone. I believe I have lacquer thinner in my arsenal as well but I will check, it might be paint thinner (thanks to the comment about it not being effective for road paint).

I also have Tar-X and WD-40. So I don't expect any problems removing it.

Did you guys have to polish the panels after the yellow paint was gone?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12