autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Jewelling - Definition

Jewelling - Definition

This 1949 Chevy Sedan Delivery was Jewelled using only a Rotary Buffer
    Bumblebee - Testing out the NEW DeWALT DWP849X

How to Jewel Paint using a Rotary Buffer
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4PQfiXJLIc&hd=1]How to Jewel Paint using a Rotary Buffer - YouTube[/video]

Jewelling
    Jewelling is a term for what I always called finish polishing, both terms mean to bring the paint to the highest degree of gloss, shine, depth, reflectivity etc. and this is done by making the paint as perfectly flat as possible at the microscopic level.

Just to make sure there's no confusion, when I use the word flat I don't mean as in dull or matte, I mean as smooth and equal in surface level, as in perfectly flat like the surface of a glass window. The car body panel itself can be curved but the paint on the curved panel must be perfectly flat and smooth.

I personally like the term jewelling better than finish polishing because the word jewel conjures up a picture in your mind, or the idea of a highly polished gemstone that glistens when light reflects off its surfaces.

A few years ago when the term jewelling reached the tipping point and became a commonly used term on detailing discussion forums I posted a request to one forum and asked for a volunteer to write an official definition for the term.

To this date I have not found an official definition written as such by anyone. So after waiting for a few years I'll volunteer to take a stab at it.

Jewelling - Definition
    The final machine polishing step in which an ultra soft foam finishing pad with no mechanical abrading ability, (in and of itself), is used with a high lubricity ultra fine finishing polish to remove any remaining microscopic surface imperfections out of an automotive paint finish.

This step is performed after the paint has been previously put through a series of machine compounding and polishing procedures to have already created a near perfect finish.

Open to suggestions to tweak the definition and perfect it and standardize it for the detailing industry.

Also just want to add that while in most cases jewelling is the last step after a series of previous compounding and polishing steps, it is also possible to start with a near perfect finish. For example, at some other time the paint was already compounded and polished but needs to be refreshed to restore perfection.

1949 Chevy Sedan Delivery - Swirls removed and show car finish by Mike Phillips

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Jewelling - Definition

That's a great definition Mike, I'm surprised it hasn't been defined "officially" before.
    "Challenge yourself to live a better tomorrow than you did yesterday"

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by rwright View Post
    That's a great definition Mike, I'm surprised it hasn't been defined "officially" before.
    It may be officially defined, I just haven't found it defined anywhere. If you or anyone finds an official definition on a website or on a forum let me know as my posting history shows me to do my best to give due credit to where credit is due.

Post Thanks / Like

You've been on forums way longer than I have, so if you haven't seen it then I highly doubt I will! I have no doubts in your word .
    "Challenge yourself to live a better tomorrow than you did yesterday"

Mike Phillips

I think I first read the term from Todd Helme on MOL a few years ago and I've read where he posted he picked it up from others. I found another thread where a forum member said the term goes back to the 1940's and 1950's but I've still never found an official definition.

I want to use the term for an article I'm writing but want to start by having a clear definition and since I couldn't find one I wrote one.

I know I asked someone else that was talking about the term to write the definition but can't find the thread.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    Also just want to add that while in most cases jewelling is the last step after a series of previous compounding and polishing steps, it is also possible to start with a near perfect finish. For example, at some other time the paint was already compounded and polished but needs to be refreshed to restore perfection.
    Mike, when you mention previous polishing steps, does that include removing any light holograms or buffer trails? Or is that reserved for the jewelling step?

Also, most people usually mention jewelling with a rotary. In my mind, this means you risk causing new holograms.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds good. Isn't it usually associated with low RPM's too?

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds good to me, Mike.
    "Tell Me What I Can't Do, and I'll Show You What I Can Do." ~Eugene

Post Thanks / Like

awesome article MP! i was expecting a list of your fav pads/products combo for jeweling!
    irfan
    laughing is the cure for all!
    jeepgarage.org

Post Thanks / Like

I think asfault rocket vette was jeweled
    and i think thats where i first heard the term.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast