autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 3 inch buffer

Post Thanks / Like

3 inch buffer

Ive recently been needing a 3 inch buffer for small things where the 8 inch pads are not suitable. i mostly need it to buff out helmets and small areas on panels. i know there are some air supplied buffers but i need the electrical ones due to the lack of a compressor. pretty much i want a 3inch buffer that can do compounding on the toughest clears. or are there any good buffers that i can just put a 3 inch backing plate on it? does anybody here know witch is the best 3 inch buffer? has anybody used any that has given good results? i would appreciate it any suggestion.

Post Thanks / Like
    Shane
    2021 Honda Civic Hatchback EX Lunar Silver

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 3 inch buffer

That's the one that i got. Works very nicely for getting into difficult to reach spots, but don't expect it to do major correction. But used alongside a Flex to augment it's abilities it does a great job. It can handle a maximum of a four inch pad if you expect it to revolve.

Post Thanks / Like

well i mostly need it for major correction, such as wet sanding orange peel and buffing, fixing runs and then buffing! ive read comments about the griots garage 3 inch buffer and mostly everyone says its not for major correction. which is what i need one for, major correction

Post Thanks / Like

Flex lightweight rotary would work for the heavy stuff.
    Jon Miles

Post Thanks / Like

I've been looking at the flex as well. The thing is that i paint cars, and i need a buffer to buff out cars for when they are ready, i mostly apply 3 coats of clear and then wetsand a coat off and then use compound, swirl mark remover and polish. ive only used a dewalt once but i would like to know whats the best one out there for my sort of situation.

Post Thanks / Like

If you are wetsanding, you are going to want a high quality rotary.

Makita 9227c would be my choice for general work, then use the Flex Lightweight Rotary for tight areas with small pads.

You said earlier that you do not have a compressor, but you say that you paint cars? Does that mean that you use a rattle can?
    Jon Miles

Post Thanks / Like

well i paint cars at school, but at home i have a car i need to wet sand and buff out. and its home where i dont have a compressor. but im looking into the dewalt rotary buffer, or a flex rotary.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 93fox View Post
    ... im looking into the dewalt rotary buffer, or a flex rotary.
    As other have pointed out, you're not going to get much correction with a 3" machine. I've owned both the GG and Metabo 3" and have had decent results using M105 and 3" LC orange and PFW but it was a real chore. Slapping the smaller backing plate on the 6" GG worked better and using a 3 or 4" on a rotary better yet. The 3" works best light polishing small areas and spreading LSPs.

IMO, the Makita sets the standard for rotarys. The Dewalt is a good machine but I found it more difficult to manage, perhapos heavier. The Flex 603 is kinda heavy as well. I have the Flex 3403 lightweight and really love it's lighter weight for vertical surfaces. If you're going to be removing sanding marks and heavy duty buffing it isn't as stout as the full sized and they tend to get pretty warm with tough duty.

The new Flex that's due out after the first of the year or so appears to be the best of all worlds... and priced accordingly. Personally, I don't think you can go wrong with a Makita with a variety of backing plates. There's a reason almost all the pros use a 9227.

If you find a need for a 3" later I recommend the GG for working in tight spaces. I got some decent correction using 4" Surbufs but if you exert much pressure you loose the rotation with 4" pads. Supply for 3" pads is kinda sparse but 3.5" LC PFW is around as are a few 3Ms and GG pads. Plus I recently sourced a supplier with 3.5" LC white and orange CCS pads.

TL

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by oldmodman View Post
    That's the one that i got. Works very nicely for getting into difficult to reach spots, but don't expect it to do major correction. But used alongside a Flex to augment it's abilities it does a great job. It can handle a maximum of a four inch pad if you expect it to revolve.
    What if you had a tight spot for major correction and needed to use a 3" bp what would you use? I was also thinking in getting this griot but like they say this one is not as strong as the griot with 6" bp. Which comes with a handle but do they sell 3" bp for this griot to replace the 6" bp?

Exotic Auto Detail via tapatalk

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast