autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

RE: Mike PHillips' extreme makeover/57 Chevy vidéo

Hello Mike, been looking at the video you've got on this site and saw that you ran into some solvent popping problem as well with that Chevy. I'm in the same situation but before I continue on the rest of the car, I'd be interested in finding out--- in your own particular case---was the solvent popping issue confined to just one area or did you encounter it elsewhere as you were polishing up the car?
    Hope you can shed some light on this for me.
    Thanks

Mike Phillips

Re: Mike PHillips' extreme makeover/57 Chevy vidéo

I don't remember seeing it throughout the paint job, there was definitely solvent popping in the pait on the trunk lid though...

Here's the thread,

1957 Chevrolet Belair Extreme Makeover - Flex 3401 & Wolfgang Smackdown!

Here's the picture you're referencing...

There is nothing you can do to 100% remove solvent popping because the defect runs through the layer of paint. More and more buffing just uncovers more and more of the defect and leaves less paint on the car.

This is with the before side being lit up using the flash of the Rebel T1i

This is the after side. The tiny craters or pin holes you see are more than likely what' called Solvent Popping, which occurred when the paint was sprayed. These pin holes are actually present on the before side except because there are so many swirls in the before side, the swirls hide the solvent popping pin holes.

No amount of buffing will remove solvent popping because the holes are throughout the layer of paint, not just on the surface. Compounding and polishing more and more will just remove more paint and reveal a greater depth of the pin holes, it won't make the problem go away.

Keep in mind this is a very high resolution camera and it's being held very close to the paint. After polishing and waxing and then looking at the paint from a normal distance you don't really see them. The only fix is to repaint the entire car or the affected panels.

And a shot right on the tape-line...

YouTube Video Performing A Test Spot using the Flex VRG 3401
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CtUaI_8HhE]YouTube - Performing a "Test Spot" to the paint on a 1957 Chevrolet Belair[/video]

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, that's exactly how it looks! Ghee I'll have to cross my fingers and hope it's just contained to this one area.
    Do you think a couple of layers of a good carnauba paste wax would help attenuate them a bit?

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by fins&chrome View Post
    Yes, that's exactly how it looks! Ghee I'll have to cross my fingers and hope it's just contained to this one area.
    Do you think a couple of layers of a good carnauba paste wax would help attenuate them a bit?

Maybe a little...

Give it a try...