autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

More agressive, P21s or Dawn blue?

Here is an interesting question: Which is more agressive (removes dirt and derbis better), and second, which is harder on the paint? Dawn or P21s?

I'm curious to know if possibly one after the other in that they do two different thing (chemically)?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: More agressive, P21s or Dawn blue?

When you ask about P21S, I assume you mean P21S Total Autowash?

Sort of hard to answer your question. Generally when Dawn is used to wash a car, it is mixed in a buck like a regular wash. When P21S TAW is used, it is generally sprayed on the paint before hand to help get rid of previous waxes or sealants and any grime on the paint while washing. I guess you could pour some P21S into a bucket and use it as a wash which would be pretty strong.

Hard to really say which would be stronger. Adding a stronger concentrate would make both stronger. I guess when looking at apples to apples, P21S would clean a little better.

Neither is that hard on the paint. Some say Dawn can dry out trim but P21S should not hurt the paint at all.

Post Thanks / Like

P21S Total Auto Wash. Dawn would be used as a car wash soap, whereas P21S TAW is usually sprayed-on in concentrated form and is designed for tacking road grime. Dawn should be left to clean the dishes.
    08 Subaru WRX

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Emile View Post
    Dawn should be left to clean the dishes.

exactly what I came in to post.

Post Thanks / Like

pnut, what are you trying to achieve? I way to simply strip your old wax/sealant? A way to clean really nasty cars? With more information we can answer you questions better.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Let me clarify. My pickup truck is not only 10 years old (decent finish), but is my daily driver, including during the very harsh and salty Michigan winters. I wash it about every 1-3 weeks (by hand in summer and gasp - car washes in winter), but it still is subject to harsh crud.

Twice a year, I do a full wash with Dawn blue, then clay bar, pre wax cleaner, then Rejex sealer.

I recently read the praises of P21s total auto wash and decided to give it a try as an alternative to the Dawn. While the dawn works very well, I suspect it is hard on the finish and plastics since it is not designed for this task. I am guessing from what I have read that the P21s would work better on the organic stuck on junk, and the tiny tar bits as well. So if I can get the level of cleaning (or better) with P21s, I will stick with it instead. However if it does not remove sealer and wax, then I have no choice but to use the dawn as I like to start with a clean scrubbed finish.

I am coming up on the twice yearly full detailing, so that is why I ask, in preparation for that task.

Post Thanks / Like

P21S should remove all of your sealant or wax. When I am going to redo the wax or sealant on my car, I will wash in with a wash designed to strip wax and sealants. Just to make sure it removes it all, I will spray an APC like Meguiars on the paint to help it. After the APC and the citrus wash, the sealant should be pretty much gone and ready for some good claying and paint cleaning or polishing then wax or sealant.

Post Thanks / Like

You would have to just spray the P21S TAW directly all over the vehicle and let it dwell on the surface for a couple of minutes. It's going to waste a lot of product in one application but it will definitely get the job done.
    08 Subaru WRX

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Emile View Post
    You would have to just spray the P21S TAW directly all over the vehicle and let it dwell on the surface for a couple of minutes. It's going to waste a lot of product in one application but it will definitely get the job done.
    That is exactly what I had in mind twice a year. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Dawn should really not be used in car care. It is highly alkaline and once offered as it removed some/all of a wax but wont remove a sealant IMO. It could harm rubber surrounds if used frequently.

Scott

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast