autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Glass polishing and inducing micro marring...

Quote Originally Posted by Paul A. View Post
    Mike, some guidance please when you get time.

I am practicing my glass polishing on my wife's car (of course). Using CarPro Ceriglass and carpro glass pads I've introduced some fine micro scratches consistent with pad rotation. I know I put them there because they weren't there before. This happened on her passenger rear side window (test area).

I've used both my Flex Beast and rotary and practiced your video to a "t". When this happens on paint (compound + wool pad etc.) I know how to remove them. Not so with glass.

Thanks.
    I have had the same exact issue occur on my windshield. I believe it’s caused by a a dirty pad. I was using a brand new pad too. To get the micro marring out I spent half a day with my rotary and still could not get it out. There is to much risk involved for me to actually retry with ceriglass and felt. I still do quick polish with foam pad and normal polish.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Prange View Post

I'm guessing that it's the heat build-up that dries out the product.
    Yes. All the glass polishes I have used are water-based and the friction between the pad and the glass dries the product up fairly quickly.

There's also the air-current created by a spinning pad that doesn't "help" a liquid to stay liquid.

What's the opposite of the word "help"?

Quote Originally Posted by Prange View Post

Also, are there expiration dates on this stuff?
    I don't think so... as a general rule of thumb, most car care products have a shelf life of about 3-5 years as long as they are not stored in extreme cold or extreme hot climates/environments.

Mike Phillips

Here's the most recent video we've created in a joint-venture with Mobile Tech Expo

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys!

I ordered 2 more CP rayon glass pads to basically start over with fresh, clean pads. The pad i used HAS been used before and while I'm confident in my cleaning process maybe that could be the issue.

I am misting with water as I worked it and, again, for those attempting this...it IS messy!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I received my 2 brand spanking new Carpro glass pads and went at it again with my rotary.

Bingo!!! Nailed it and finally removed almost everything on that glass panel. I can only summize my pads weren't really FULLY clean?!

Glass polishing is certainly an exercise in perserverence.

6. Likes dgage liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Here's another tip from my experience...

Even though i covered up as much paint as I could, i still got some splatter. I mixed up some ONR and quickly wiped up any "oversplatter". Worked perfectly and took me what, 5 total mins in 2 hours time.

8. Likes dgage liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

And when i say "an exercise in perserverance" consider what Mike doesn't really show...yup, ya keep doing the same thing in the same section for a good 20-30 mins!

Not like paint i.e. your test spot proves to you what works for paint and you do maybe 5-8 section passes and move on

Glass? Nope. Maybe hundreds of section passes ON THE SAME SECTION. The abrasion is so minimal because that surface is so hard. Don't lose patience...keep working.

10. Likes dgage liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Paul A. View Post
    And when i say "an exercise in perserverance" consider what Mike doesn't really show...yup, ya keep doing the same thing in the same section for a good 20-30 mins!

Not like paint i.e. your test spot proves to you what works for paint and you do maybe 5-8 section passes and move on

Glass? Nope. Maybe hundreds of section passes ON THE SAME SECTION. The abrasion is so minimal because that surface is so hard. Don't lose patience...keep working.
    Yup, that's why I hate glass polishing. I would rather three step bad paint than polish glass.

12. Likes Paul A. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe try the CeriGlass with a compounding foam pad instead of a rayon one for the last little bit?
    ·Ï¢årµ§·

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Icky. I tried several combinations of pads on day 1 of this problem and nothing but simply a new, clean glass pad did anything. The only one that came close was one of my mf cutting pads. That pad was "sacrificed to the detailing gods" and will NOT use that anymore on paint!

As Mike mentions (I think) in one of his vids the abrasives in CerGlass get lost in foam.

Good thought though, Icarus. That was my thought too initially. Like paint correction step down (or up) the pad? Nope. Not with glass. Work "clean" with cerium oxide, clean glass pads and water and just keep going (and going, and going...).

What amazed me is how gradual the abrasion is with glass. Again, unlike paint where your test spot gives you immediate feedback, you really need to spend time with glass to see anything cutting away material. It was extremely satisfying to see the results though.

After some more practice I will be offering this service but, as Mike suggests, will charge according to the effort!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12