autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Graphic installation

Hi Mike

i have a 2020 Ford Raptor and I will be installing OEM bedside decals (as attached). 2 questions :

1. What should I use to prep the area to remove wax etc ?

2. These graphics are $650/pair and I’m really trying to ensure I do this right. Does a spray bottle with a soapy mix still the recommended way to install these ? I am considering having a local sign shop do the install ..

thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Graphic installation

For my Challenger stripes I polished and wiped with "panel wipe" GTechniq Panel Wipe Coating Prep 250 ml.. Also used the soap and water mix. I forget the ratio. Might want to youtube for more specific directions
    2012 Dodge Challenger RT Classic Bright Silver
    2018 Ford F150 Xlt Sport 4X4 Magnetic Grey

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hoyt66 View Post
    For my Challenger stripes I polished and wiped with "panel wipe" GTechniq Panel Wipe Coating Prep 250 ml.. Also used the soap and water mix. I forget the ratio. Might want to youtube for more specific directions
    Thank you! Great info

Post Thanks / Like

I have received a quote of $375 to install these. Holy hell, it can’t take more than an hour to do. That’s a hell of a rate

Post Thanks / Like

Yep. You are paying for the skill to do it and covered if they mess it up. Which is highly doubt full. IDK. If you attempt it yourself and botch it, that is a costly lesson.

Years ago on my 82 Trans Am, i had the full decal package for the hood etc. No way i was going to attempt that install. Took it to a vinyl sign shop. DONE.
    2018 Colorado ZR2

Post Thanks / Like

Yeap. That being said , trying to get some other quotes

7. Likes PA DETAILER liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Vinyl installers usually prep with Isopropyl Alcohol. If you wanted to go all out, you could do the water based degreaser (For a one off just use Sprayway glass cleaner.) followed by a solvent degreaser first (Something like Prep-all) like auto painters use.

Mike Phillips

Hi Inverted,

From the time stamp, looks like you posted this,

03-27-2021, 05:36 PM - which would be Saturday at 5:36pm and by then I was done for the day. So apologies for the late reply but if I work 7 days a week I'll end up divorced.

Just don't want anyone thinking I'm slacking off.

Quote Originally Posted by Inverted View Post
    Hi Mike

i have a 2020 Ford Raptor and I will be installing OEM bedside decals (as attached). 2 questions :

1. What should I use to prep the area to remove wax etc ?

2. These graphics are $650/pair and I’m really trying to ensure I do this right. Does a spray bottle with a soapy mix still the recommended way to install these ? I am considering having a local sign shop do the install ..

thanks

If it were me?

I would machine polish to make the paint perfect.

Then use a quality panel wipe to strip the paint.

I'm not a huge fan of IPA. It doesn't wipe good. It's CHEAP and can be purchased damn near anywhere and this is my guess as to why so many people use it. My favorite panel wipe at this moment in time is the 3D Wipe. Good stuff.

As for doing the install yourself? It's not that hard if you take your time. That said, I find getting the placement perfect to be challenging. I'm good at a lot of things but perfectly installing graphics is not one of them.

My friend Jay on the other hand is really talented in this area. Here's a FULL PHOTO DOCUMENTATION of Jay at work.

From the year 2012

1999 Trans Am Extreme Makeover - Testing M101 Foam Cut Compound

Jay heating the vinyl graphics up using a simple Conair Hair Blow Dryer...

Here's Ken and I using a Heat Gun, when using a Heat Gun instead of a hair dryer you really need to be careful that you don't get the paint itself too hot...

New graphics going on... this was hours later after we meticulously buffed the hood to remove most of the Ghosting and all of the adhesive residue...

Here you can see that we removed the rear spoiler in order to apply the racing stripes to the deck lid...

After putting he racing stripes on the spoiler we're not re-attaching it...

Jay installing all the lettering...

Windshield graphics going on....

Came out PERFECT

Definitely something to be said for those that have a talent for this type of craft.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Mike! Great pics. That’s the anniversary Trans Am if I remember correctly. My high school wet dream. I have decided to set up an appointment with a local sign company for the install. My truck is a raptor, the graphics were $700 and I don’t want to take the chance !

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Inverted View Post

I have decided to set up an appointment with a local sign company for the install.

My truck is a raptor, the graphics were $700 and I don’t want to take the chance !

I feel you man....

I've only detailed on Ford Raptor and there's a part of me that never wants to do it again.

Lots of real-estate. Lots of exterior plastic. Enough graphics to go - Ugh...

BUT - damn cool trucks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast