autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Degreaser on paint, and Wolfgang issues on another car.

I am new here, and I would love to introduce myself before starting to fire questions, but this is somehow urgent because it involves two new cars, so thanks for understanding.

1. I had a spot on my hood this morning so I grabbed my Blackfire quick detailer (sample from Autogeek) in my trunk to wipe It off, well at least that’s what I thought. I noticed that it wasn’t all smooth to wipe off but I didn’t give it much thought.

I went on with my day and after work, I wanted to wipe off some sap that came onto the hood so I grabbed the "detailer", and I happened to read the label of the bottle and it’s the engine degreaser, not the detailer. Apparently I mixed them up and put the degreaser in my trunk thinking it was the detailer since it’s exactly the same bottle.

I frantically jump to get my Wolfgang detailer from the trunk and wipe off the hood, then I used all the water bottles in my car to rinse the hood. The hood is sealed with Wolfgang Deep Gloss and everything seems ok and water still sheets, but I’m being very paranoid that I messed up the paint or removed the sealant. It’s hard to tell on a silver car in daytime lol.

Am I in the clear or should I do further steps?

2. Also this weekend, I sealed my brother in law's Jeep with Wolfgang Deep Gloss and it gave me some issues.

I’ve used it before with great success. However, the next day after sealing it, the sealant left colored water spots that dry out on the paint after you rinse them off with water. Some spots didn’t go away even with a quick detailer or ONR. I’m not sure what’s going on honestly and I’m not sure if those stubborn spots were there before or after the correction/sealing process.

I didn’t do anything out of the ordinary, I washed it with foam then two buckets, quick dry, clay bar with onr, dry, 3D HD Speed, CG wipe out, seal then buff. It sat in the garage till the next day, about 18 hours.

We’re in Houston and it’s very humid these days, so that could be it? I didn’t notice the spots anywhere else on the car except the hood, so could that be due to the fact that I polished the hood the day before polishing the rest of the car?

In the pictures, you will notice some spots that are colored, and there are others that kinda look etched into the paint

Wolfgang - Album on Imgur

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Degreaser on paint, and Wolfgang issues on another car.

As for the degreaser I’d just reapply, most likely still there but is probably diminished.
    As for the spots that’s typical of letting water dry on the car, sealant, coating or wax are all prone to water spotting. I’ve used WGDG many times and never noticed water spots

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the reply. Did you mean reapply detailer? I am planning to give the hood a quick wash in a bit.

To remove those spots, do you think I need to strip the sealant, compound then reapply?

Post Thanks / Like

Agree with vobro on the degreaser. Just reapply the DGPS

As for the spotting, do you always use Speed and then try and strip it off with Wipeout? That seems like you are making way more work for yourself.

Perhaps the WG is reacting with the Montan wax left by Speed if you didn't get it completely removed? Not sure, just throwing it out there.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok, I'll reapply another coat of DGPS. I also just got the Wolfgang Spritz sealant that I was planning to top the DGPS. You think I should do that or recoat with DGPS?

Yeah I compound with Speed then before sealing I use wipe out. I am new to this but that's what I understood from many tutorials. It could also be that I over-applied the DGPS.

Post Thanks / Like

Speed isn’t a compound, it’s a all in one which means it’s a light polish that contains a sealant. Sometimes when you stack sealants on top of sealants you can get irregular results

7. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I’d reapply the sealant to your hood.

And with Speed you don’t need a prep wipe, it actually probably creates a mess due to not being able to remove the wax completely and leaving irregular surface. Next time go straight to the sealant and maybe use a polish that’s not Speed if you don’t want the wax under the sealant. Having said that, what you described almost sounds like soap that dried on the paint before being rinsed. Try rinsing the car more often during the wash process.
    Bruno Soares

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BSoares View Post
    I’d reapply the sealant to your hood.

And with Speed you don’t need a prep wipe, it actually probably creates a mess due to not being able to remove the wax completely and leaving irregular surface. Next time go straight to the sealant and maybe use a polish that’s not Speed if you don’t want the wax under the sealant. Having said that, what you described almost sounds like soap that dried on the paint before being rinsed. Try rinsing the car more often during the wash process.
    Oh man, not a good week at all, and not a good way to start this hobby. I am sad because I am mainly doing this for my nephew who's been on video games since March so I thought this would be a good outlet for him. I built a whole detailing station for us, and invested a relatively big amount in this. I guess it's a good learning experience.

Apparently I confused the Speed for being a one-step compound/polish, hence I used the wipe out. Here's another image of the water spot (or etching?) on the Jeep. After posting this, I went and clayed a panel on the hood, used wipe out then compounded with Maguiar's ultimate compound , nothing. The mark is still there and the funny thing the sealing seems to still be there since the panel is still beading and sheeting. I don't know what these spots are, and I am not sure if I caused them or they've been there, and whether they ate through the clear coat.

Imgur: The magic of the Internet

Post Thanks / Like

Try using a heat gun to heat up the paint then buff off again.
    2016 Mazda 3 Sports GT
    2015 Lexus IS250 F Sport

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WillSports3 View Post
    Try using a heat gun to heat up the paint then buff off again.
    Oh I’m definitely not ready for that!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast